Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-5-16_2-16-21.png

upload_2019-5-16_2-16-47.png

Tonight's Officials

WM04.jpg
FC06.jpg

Referees Wes McCauley (4), Francis Charron (6)
Kelly Sutherland (11)*
Linesmen Scott Cherrey (50), Derek Amell (75)
Trent Knorr (63)*

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Boston Bruins have been in some binds in the postseason, but they don't want the luxury of a 3-0 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals to distract them from the mission.

The Bruins will try to clinch a spot in the Stanley Cup Final when they go for a sweep of the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night at PNC Arena.

"It's a good spot to be in," Bruins left winger Brad Marchand told reporters of the 3-0 lead. "But it's far from being over. ... It's all about the next one."

Boston was forced to seven games against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round, then trailed the best-of-seven series against the Columbus Blue Jackets 2-1 before winning in six.
Now, the Bruins have won six straight games, delivering the Hurricanes a home loss for the first time in the playoffs with Tuesday night's 2-1 victory in Game 3.

"This year we feel like we really have each other's backs," Boston goalie Tuukka Rask said. "We've been in some tight games."

If the Bruins fail to sweep the series, the teams will go back to Boston for Game 5 on Saturday night.

Rask has stopped 85 of 90 shots faced (.944) in the series.

"Guys have played with Tuukka for a while now," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "They know what he's made of. ... (Since the playoffs began), he hasn't really had a poor night."

The Hurricanes haven't been quite as settled in the net. Curtis McElhinney made his first appearance of the series by playing Game 3 after the Bruins posted 11 total goals (one into an empty net) in the first two games with Petr Mrazek in net for Carolina. The team has yet to officially announce a Game 4 starter.

The Hurricanes won two elimination games against the Washington Capitals last month. They'll need four of those in this round.

"It's frustrating, for sure," Hurricanes left winger Warren Foegele said of the situation. "Just take it day by day. We believe."

The Hurricanes made progress in Game 3, something they'll aim to build off as they attempt to extend their season.

"I think you can feel good about the fact that we at least gave them a game," coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "To me, we hadn't given them a game yet."

That was accomplished in Game 3 -- in which Carolina outshot Boston 36-31 but left without the desired result -- for the first time in a series the Hurricanes entered riding a six-game winning streak.

Yet the Bruins won't take anything for granted for Game 4.

"It's a tough place to play," Boston right winger David Backes said of the road venue. "It's a tough place to win."

The Bruins' six-game win streak is the franchise's longest in the postseason since 1978.

One glaring difference between the teams has been power-play production. The Bruins own a 31.9 percent success rate (15 of 47) this postseason on power plays compared to Carolina's 10 percent (5 of 50).

Boston has relied heavily at times on veteran defenseman Zdeno Chara, who played extended stretches. His penalty killing was crucial again in Game 3, as Carolina went scoreless in five power-play opportunities.

"He relishes those situations, he's going to give it his all," Cassidy said. "Really tough minutes for him. He was a rock for us."

The Bruins will be without right winger Chris Wagner, who sustained an arm injury when he was hit by slap shot late in Game 3.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Really disappointed for Chris Wagner, but hoping Noel Acciari will take the ball and run with it. Getting back to game speed will likely be tough, but I imagine Cassidy will shelter his minutes somewhat.

I remember in 2011 the B's were determined in Game 6 not to let the Canucks clinch on Boston's home ice. I expect a similar determination from the Canes.

I've read some wanting an extended series so the B's don't have a long layoff, but not me. I'd prefer the handshake line after this one.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I have no worries Acciari being in for Wagner. That line will keep on playing their game. End this team tonight. Don’t give them any life. Don’t open the door a crack for them. Knock them out and take your spot in the cup finals and rest up for San Jose or St. Louis.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Given the trends of teams sweeping other teams this year, I almost kinda hope Carolina wins tonight! Haha but not really

I read a funny comment on Facebook after game three that cracked me up. Someone said: “you have to laugh at the Pens. They got swept by a team who got swept by a team about to get swept by another team.”

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not really sure why I decided to look at this, but it was crazy to see when I did lol. During these playoffs of the 4 teams remaining:

Team
GF/GP
GA/GP
G-Diff
Boston
3.31​
2.06​
+20​
Carolina
2.79​
2.71​
+1​
San Jose
3.29​
3.18​
+2​
St. Louis
2.81​
2.88​
-1​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Domenic Pazzia

Mar 30, 2019
Really curious how Carolina comes out tonight.

I honestly think that their best was game 3, they gave what they had in the first or so. I expect a solid 5 mins and if they can't score they just say whatever. I think game 3 loss was a backbreaker and even BRM acknowledged that .

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I honestly think that their best was game 3, they gave what they had in the first or so. I expect a solid 5 mins and if they can't score they just say whatever. I think game 3 loss was a backbreaker and even BRM acknowledged that .
Agreed.
Score the first one, and hope they wilt and start thinking of hitting the beach.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
1'st goal (as always) will be huge but more so in this case as it will deflate the crowd and the Canes. Close em out!

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the Canes are about cooked but I can’t help thinking they may take this one. Closing out a series is hard.

I also can’t help thinking the refs will pull the game management stuff and call weird penalties while missing others.

I don’t care about cobwebs etc. I want the Bruins to win the 4th game ASAP and go for the kill. Bruins have been a good playoff road team and I hope they finish it.

Sad to see Wagner injured.
I want to see scoring from the top line but a goal is a goal and I don’t care which Bruin scores it.

The PP stats are amazing but then it helps that Carolina’s special teams suck.

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->