Esche to have hip surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Ty Conklin will emerge by the end of the world cup this year. After his performance at the World Championships, he deserves to be Team USA's starting goalie. Or maybe that's just some Oiler bias on my part. Conklin is a starting NHL goalie now, his play forced the Oilers to move Salo.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
elphy101 said:
Ty Conklin will emerge by the end of the world cup this year. After his performance at the World Championships, he deserves to be Team USA's starting goalie. Or maybe that's just some Oiler bias on my part. Conklin is a starting NHL goalie now, his play forced the Oilers to move Salo.

rather, salo's play forced the oilers to move salo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
elphy101 said:

Could be, although it truly will be a competition now to see who will be the starting goalie for the U.S. team. Not to get my hopes up but it's possible Esche could be fine by the time the tournament starts. If not, I expect that Mike Dunham, who has alot to prove, will be named as his replacement.

Liquidrage*

What's Jim Craig now, about 45? Think he's got one more good run left in him?

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
elphy101 said:

Conklin was named goalie of the tournament at the World Championships. He should be the starter...unless Mike Dunham somehow inspires confidence...

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
It's sad to hear the news about Robert Esche. He really impressed me with his play during the playoffs. Most of the goals he allowed were strange, pinball goals. He played a great Game 7 against Tampa Bay, keeping his team in the game.

I don't know if I have much confidence in DiPietro. I watched him quite a bit, and he could look great for a stretch and then look horrible for several games. I think he will be a fine NHL goalie, but he is young.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Lack of depth.

:shakehead

God damn injuries.

It's more a case of inexperience rather than a lack of depth. The U.S. is at a point where it's either older, veteran players, or young, inexperienced players. Not alot in between. While losing Esche hurts, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility someone else can step up. Could be Conklin, could be DiPietro, could be Mike Dunham who has played very well at the NHL level and internationally. We'll see.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Could be, although it truly will be a competition now to see who will be the starting goalie for the U.S. team. Not to get my hopes up but it's possible Esche could be fine by the time the tournament starts. If not, I expect that Mike Dunham, who has alot to prove, will be named as his replacement.

Very doubtful that Esche will be ready to play.

Surgery is scheduled for next week. Recovery time is 3-4 months.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They said on CSN that Esche will miss the World Cup.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Between Conklin and DiPietro, I would start DiPietro. For a replacement, I guess Dunham would be the best choice since he has Olympic experience. Heck, give Al Montoya a call...he's not even NHL property yet though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Very doubtful that Esche will be ready to play.

Surgery is scheduled for next week. Recovery time is 3-4 months.

Yeah, I know. It sucks, but not all's lost. Conklin has proven he can play well at the highest level, so hopefully he or DiPietro can do the job. Someone had to take over for Richter at some point. Now's the time. :banana:

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Shoalzie said:
Between Conklin and DiPietro, I would start DiPietro. For a replacement, I guess Dunham would be the best choice since he has Olympic experience. Heck, give Al Montoya a call...he's not even NHL property yet though.

I'd like to see Grahame named to the team.He's had a good season.Good enough that at one pt the Bolts beatwriters and fans were speculating about moving Khabby.

whoevers named,I like the thought of an open competition in the preliminary games.Make them fight for the #1 job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad