Esa Tikkanen HOF bound?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Merya, Aug 4, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    edmonton oilers, 1991. made it to the third round of the playoffs.

esa tikkanen, leading regular season and playoff scorer, helped linemate petr klima to a career high 40 goal season.

yes, in a vacuum messier was the team's best player. but he missed a lot of time and was generally hurt/worn out while tikkanen took the reins of that team.

2. GlitchMarner

GlitchMarner Formerly 29GoalHoglund

Fair points...

However, they did fall short. The fact is that Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Coffey were better players than Tikkanen when the Oilers won the Cup in '94, '85, '87 and '88. They had Anderson as well.

Tikkanen was higher up on the food chain in 1990 but still wasn't the guy.

I'd be hesitant to place him in the HHOF. However, he would be more worthy than Clark Gillies. At least he showed he could help the team get far while being one of the Oilers' top two or three players.

Gillies was never close to being the best player on a team that made a splash.

3. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

Tikkanen was also one of the driving forces of the 97 rangers. Think he had 9 goals in 15 games or something and only trailed gretzky on the team.

4. 007

007 You 'Orns!

Yeah, he came alive during those playoffs -- hadn't shown much after he rejoined the Rangers late in the season, then suddenly he was like an old lion showing he could still roar.

That said, the narrative will always be that the Gretzky-Messier tandem carried a near-geriatric Rangers team through the playoffs, which isn't 100% wrong, just not the whole story.

PS> If it helps him get into the HHoF, I could tell them he's still my mother's all-time favourite player.

5. Sadekuuro

Sadekuuro Registered User

mad scientist
    That was the year he scored that OT winner that hit the back bar and came back out, no?

6. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

7. VMBM

VMBM Crawfish Fiesta

The thing that would bug me about is that imo there are a few greater Finnish players in history (not from NHL perspective, of course) who have no chance getting in: Matti Hagman, Veli-Pekka Ketola, Lasse Oksanen, Kari Jalonen, to name a few. Not to mention more than a few Czech players and an odd Slovak and Swede (and Kühnhackl?).

But if HHOF is basically "NHL hall of fame" and accepted as such, then why not? Tikkanen is certainly one Finnish player who made more out of his talent than probably anyone else ever.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

Probably just as many swedes and czechoslovaks as finns tbh.

9. VMBM

VMBM Crawfish Fiesta

Oh, more great Czechoslovaks (mainly Czechs), and arguably more great Swedes than Finns who didn't have a great NHL career (for different reasons); for a long time, those countries had a clear edge over Finland, as far as producing great players is concerned. But summa summarum, there are numerous great European (and Soviet) players who were better than Tikkanen but who will probably never get in, and that would bother me, since it is not officially NHL Hall of Fame.

10. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

Perhaps. I never counted the true elite from each country. :laugh:

11. stu the grim reaper

stu the grim reaper Registered User

teams should just have their own franchise hall of fames at their arenas for these players that shouldn't be in the HHOF but also shouldn't be forgotten

12. mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195 Registered User

I've often said this, not only because the HHOF should be kept for the cream of the crop, but also because teams (*cough* the Rangers) are retiring too many numbers. Have a team HOF so guys like Adam Graves and Harry Howell and Jean Ratelle can be honored, and save the jersey retirement for the absolute best of the best.

13. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Is it the Hall of Regular Season Scorers?

Then considering Tikkanen is laughable.

14. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

Tikk is one of may all-time favourite Oilers. I loved the guy as a player and he was a lot better than many think. But I don't see the case here.

15. GlitchMarner

GlitchMarner Formerly 29GoalHoglund

Well, if it wasn't for his Conn Smythe and three Cups, I don't think Joe Nieuwendyk would be a Hall of Famer...

I certainly wouldn't want him in it if he didn't the post-season success he had, but since he did, I think he's okay as a member. I know some say he was kind of disappointing in the playoffs in the early to mid 90s with Calgary, but at the end of the day, the guy played an important role in winning two Cups and was voted the MVP of the playoffs once. He also won a Cup with NJ later on...

He wasn't the greatest regular season point scorer for a HHOF member (zero finishes in the top ten for points in a season), but he did finish in the top five for goals five times. That's quite good. He also surpassed 500 career goals and did win a Calder as well, and he accomplished the rare feat of starting his career off with back-to-back 50 goal seasons.

I know this isn't about Nieuwendyk. The point I want to make is that I think success in the playoffs can put a guy over the top when it comes to HHOF consideration. The thing is: Tikkanen's regular season numbers are really nothing special at all... compared to actual Hall of Famers at least.

Whereas Nieuwendyk had the other stuff going for him, I'm not so sure you can slip Tikkanen into the Hall without furthering a precedent that was kind of set when Gillies was inducted.

It's been established that Tikkanen was able to play an integral (rather than secondary) in making a team successful in the playoffs. I really think has more of a claim to being in the HHOF instead of Gillies. The induction of Gillies was horrid and beyond defending.

However, now that Gillies is already in, a Tikkanen induction would more or less open the door for the induction of someone like Claude Lemieux...

Should a guy like Lemieux really be in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Here are Tikkanen's regular season stats:

877 GP, 244 G, 386 A, 630 P, +81

He played during the 80s and early to mid 90s as well... I just don't think there's enough in his statistics to warrant HHOF induction.

16. EdmFlyersfan

EdmFlyersfan Registered User

Esa is not more deserving than Claude...

17. Sentinel

Sentinel Registered User

Home Page:
    I wouldn't have a problem with him in the Hall. I like "special" players. Players that are remembered for something. The guy was a beast. Of course, as a Red Wings fan, I am enormously grateful to him for missing that empty netter in 1998 Finals.

18. Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke Is Holland gone yet?

He still missed the net....(thankfully)

[​IMG]

Sentinel likes this.
  19. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

The litmus test for induction: Should hockey history remember and celebrate the on-ice play of this player's career?

Our grandchildren should go to the Hall of Fame and learn about famous players worth remembering. I think Tikkanen is one of them.

Sentinel and Noldo like this.
  20. Killion

Killion Registered User

Yep. Totally agree. Not only was he one of the greatest Defensive Forwards of any era he was
    beyond colorful. Exactly the kind of player you want remembered, enshrined in the HHOF....

Sentinel likes this.
  21. Voight

Voight #winning

He'd have to wait until Jere Lehtinen to get in IMO.

22. boyko10

boyko10 44-11-9

He should get in on personality alone. Most guys need muscle and grit to win a fight. We're talking about a guy who could YAP your head clean off. Poof. Gone.

Sentinel likes this.
  23. MS

MS 1%er

Tikkanen's level of play from 1986-1991 was HHOF-worthy. Was one of the best all-around players in the sport and it was a crime he didn't win multiple Selkes. And monstrous when the playoffs rolled around. If he could have maintained that level of play into his 30s, he would have belonged.

But he was never remotely the same player after his 1991-92 knee injury, although he had a few blips of excellent play. Topped 45 points once after the age of 26.

24. ehhedler

ehhedler Registered User

The way the camera kinda jumps forward makes me think Colaiacovo's gonna pop up front view.

25. Plural

Plural Registered User

Obviously neither is getting in. But for the longest time I thought that Lehtinen was clearly, but marginally better player than Tikkanen. I'm not so sure anymore. Tikkanen has that special thing in him. Something that makes fans and peers remember him. In a vacuum, Lehtinen might have been the better defensive winger and Tikkanen the better offensive winger. But Tikkanen is the kind of player who's story is not told by looking at the numbers and voting records. There was just something about him. Something that sticks on you. Character.

Not that Lehtinen didn't have soul and fire, he did. He gave 110% every time he stepped on the ice and he was applauded for it. Deservedly so. But he is not as memorable as Tikkanen is. Is it because playoffs? Because of being a pest? Because of Tiki-Talk? I don't know. But he had something very rare players have. If we're talking about the Hall of Fame, I'd much rather see Tikkanen in than Lehtinen and it's based purely on his character as a player.