Erling Braut Håland history examples

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Can't think of anyone that extreme except maybe Rooney. Kane was a bit similar. Older, but he went from nothing to being top quality at the highest level in a very short period of time.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Haaland will be 20 in July. Are we making comparisons based on age or immediate impact?

In addition to Ronaldo:

Jimmy Greaves was born 20 February 1940. By the end of the 1958-59 season, he'd played 77 top flight games and scored 54 goals. There was far less European football in those days, but his record was games three, goals three.

Greaves retired shortly after his 31st birthday the leading goalscorer in the history of the English top flight, a position he retains to this day.

Roger Piantoni (born 26 December 1931), finished top scorer in Ligue 1, during his debut 1950-51 season. He next topped that list exactly a decade later. He scored over 200 top flight goals, played in the European Cup final with Reims, as well as winning the domestic title, and at the World Cup for France in 1958 where he scored goals despite mainly acting as a foil for Just Fontaine - as he did for Reims.

Raul (born 27 June 1977). By the time he celebrated his 20th birthday he'd played 110 games in La Liga, and scored 49 goals, helping Madrid win two titles in three years to end Cruyff's era of dominance with Barcelona. He'd scored six in eight Champions League fixtures.

Benzema (born 19 December 1987), 20 goals in Ligue 1, 2007-8, seven goals in domestic cups, four in the Champions League. He'd been a squad player for the three previous seasons, however.

Reactions: gary69

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ronaldo definitely a good comparable player.

Still waiting for Haaland to slow down, but he might just be that good.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He is faster than Ibrahimovic, but not sure if that is enough to make him a better "athlete". Zlatan was impossible to move off the ball in his prime. And his body control, coordination or whatever you would call it was sensational for a big man. Haaland will never match Zlatan in quite a few areas, but hopefully he will surpass him in others.

Not sure if they are all that comparable in terms of early career. Zlatan had the hype because of some ridiculous YouTube-style goals, but he took a bit longer than Haaland to be effective at CL-level.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Part of the reason Haaland is so good is because central defenders are now very unaccustomed to defending left footed strikers. That’s just one reason though.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
At 19 years old it's so far 40 goals in 30 appearances this season so please don't bring up bizarre names. It's really impressive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know if I agree with that. Zlatan is a freakish athlete in general nonetheless for someone who's 6'5 ~200lbs.

Haaland’s an athletic freak. He moves like a very fast 5’8 winger. Zlatan had excellent balance and dexterity, but that’s less important than being able to outsprint just about any player you’ll play against.

And Haaland’s functional athleticism isn’t bad either. He scored a goal a few weeks ago where he needed to walk a tightrope along the sideline, and did so when most wouldn’t be able to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Haaland’s an athletic freak. He moves like a very fast 5’8 winger. Zlatan had excellent balance and dexterity, but that’s less important than being able to outsprint just about any player you’ll play against.

And Haaland’s functional athleticism isn’t bad either. He scored a goal a few weeks ago where he needed to walk a tightrope along the sideline, and did so when most wouldn’t be able to.
I’m not saying he’s not a freak, cuz he is. But people who are Ibra’s size don’t have his finesse, dexterity, and coordination. I struggle to find many people who are more athletically gifted than him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not saying he’s not a freak, cuz he is. But people who are Ibra’s size don’t have his finesse, dexterity, and coordination. I struggle to find many people who are more athletically gifted than him.

I just think Haaland’s type of athleticism has more value towards the position he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->