Speculation: Erixon

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I couldn't find a dedicated thread for players on this board, so I hope it's okay if I open one about Erixon. I wonder what his future looks like with this franchise and what you think he's worth to other teams? What would you for instance want in return from Ottawa?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
There may be a trade closer to the deadline of a defenseman, but Erixon is part of the long range plans here...He was the young Dman that didn't have to pass waivers to go to Springfield, he'll be the first call up for injury...and I don't see him leaving again once he does get the call

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not really a topic for conversation. He played well last season; he'll get another chance to stick with the team. He was too good last season not to get one unless there is something seriously wrong with his attitude. If that's the case; he's all yours.

Dead topic.

This is probably Nikitin's last year here though. Not that he's bad; just a numbers game. We'll need that cap space.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I couldn't find a dedicated thread for players on this board, so I hope it's okay if I open one about Erixon. I wonder what his future looks like with this franchise and what you think he's worth to other teams? What would you for instance want in return from Ottawa?

Nikitin is someone I could easily see going to Ottawa and having a Marc Methot type presence. He's now the odd man out with our kids being so good, not sure what he'd return, but I'd probably want a 4th rounder.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Nikitin is someone I could easily see going to Ottawa and having a Marc Methot type presence. He's now the odd man out with our kids being so good, not sure what he'd return, but I'd probably want a 4th rounder.

We could get more. He's a productive 2nd pairing defenseman

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I would rather trade other defensemen and bring Erixon up to the Blue Jackets.

Smile More*

I would love to see a CBJ D man traded, preferably Nikitin or Erixon

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Erixon would net a larger return than Nikitin at this point, clearly ... but, it makes more sense for the Jackets to move Nikitin, if they are looking to just thin out the ranks.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Seems kind of obvious at this point that one of Nikitin/Erixon/Goloubef might be on the move this season. My money would be on Nikitin simply because he hasn't been extended yet.

Still...I'm not sure I understand the fascination we seem to have with thinning our depth. We shouldn't be anxious to move someone simply because they're fighting their peers for ice time....we should be anxious to move someone when it's clear they're pushing veterans for ice time....

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seems kind of obvious at this point that one of Nikitin/Erixon/Goloubef might be on the move this season. My money would be on Nikitin simply because he hasn't been extended yet.

Still...I'm not sure I understand the fascination we seem to have with thinning our depth. We shouldn't be anxious to move someone simply because they're fighting their peers for ice time....we should be anxious to move someone when it's clear they're pushing veterans for ice time....

I haven't seen him this year, but I thought Erixon crossed that bridge last year, i.e. he was better than some of our veterans.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
No need to keep slick defenseman on the roster with good hands and puck control.... we like guys that are big with cement hands or no clue how to handle a puck....

trade him...

:sarcasm:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The easiest answer is what I alluded to earlier. Nikitin, new contract, cap space. You have 3 defensemen locked up for another 3+ years, after this one, with above average contracts. Murray is probably a lock for the 4th and he's not exactly cheap (for an ELC). That leaves two spots and the 7th d-man and we really don't want to spend 3+ million on another one.

Having said that, to your last point, any one of Savard, Erixon, and Prout could push Nikitin for ice time. Murray should push the other 3 soon enough.

The only nice thing about Erixon down in the AHL, but it sucks for him, is that he's a RFA and unless something changes he might not even get a 1 way deal. Even if he does, if things stay how they are, it won't be for a lot.

Last edited:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

I can't speak for everyone on this board but for me the "fascination" is a result of two things.

1. Defensive Depth. With Erixon, Prout, Golo, Savard, Nikitn all competing for spots as nhl defensemen and guys like Heatherington and Reilly on the way our defense would not suffer (and IMO would improve) if Nikitin was traded and replaced by Erixon.

1. Lack of Offensive ability. While we have quality depth in our lineup we do not possess elite level offensive players/finishers. Atkinson, Johansen, Jenner and Dubinsky are all making strides however none have elite offensive games that help the team to score more easily. Adding Gaborik has helped, however we still lack someone who can score "easily" which is something something we are lacking.

These two combine to make a defensive trade an intelligent move IMO as we can create a package based on a surplus D-man (who are often over valued see: hal gill for a 1st round pick) for a player that adds a different dimension to our offense.

For example

Max Pacioretty, expiring contract

for

Nikitin, Gritty forward of your choice, and a 1st.

Something like this move dramatically changes our lineup if we could pull it off. Adding a first line forward makes us a MUCH more dangerous team.

Pacioretty-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Atkinson-Johansen-Horton
Calvert-Anisimov-Umberger
Foligno-Mackenzie-Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Murray-Wiz
Erixon-Savard
Prout

Bob
Mac

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Portzline, from his latest chat:
"I think Prout has been much better since his early-season scratchings. Ever since he's been paired with Tyutin on the top pair, I think he's been a lot better. The game has changed a little, and it'll be interesting to see how the Blue Jackets respond. Richards said the other day that more goals are scored off the rush in the East, whereas more goals seem to be scored off the cycle in the West. Richards has spent the first three weeks trying to find the right fit on the back end. Maybe with Tyutin - Prout he's found it."

Thinking about the new types of offence we're facing I'm wondering if that alters the optimal crew of defenders we should be thinking about? Our worst rush-defender is undoubtedly Wiz-- he often seems to pinch out of desperation because he can't defend as well going backwards -- but he's also the worst at defending on the cycle so there's no change in abilities switching conferences... What are folks seeing? Who are the best/worst D-men on the rush/cycle?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Why would we trade a first for an expiring contract?

The expiring would be to make contracts work for both sides as most teams have already reached the max contracts allowed and the value already may be a bit low for a legit 1st line player.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Not likely Montreal would take Nikitin on. Five of their current seven NHL defensemen are up for renewal after this season; a list that includes last year's Norris winner, PK Subban, who is due a massive raise in the offseason.

My point being; they will be looking for cheap options on the backend, and also looking towards younger guys, such as Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu.

Also, FWIW: Max Pacioretty is locked in through 2018-19, at a very cap-friendly $4.5m/per ... that's as close to an untradable contract as you will find in the NHL right now, at least as far as Montreal is concerned.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nikitin makes sense from an immediate cap-hit point of view. If we moved Erixon alone, we'd have to be wary of the salary coming back.

Nikitin makes $2,150,000 despite being on an expiring contract.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Nikitin makes $2,150,000 despite being on an expiring contract.

Part of the reason it would be difficult to move Nikitin ... several (most) of the teams looking to contend now and possibly add a depth defense piece; need a cap-lateral or cap-saving move. The exception would be a team like Colorado, who has come out of the gate and surprised everyone with a hot start. Immediate question there would be, what would they value Nikita Nikitin at? I don't know that they re-sign him after this year, and their glut of young forwards would be certainly off limits. A 3rd round draft pick maybe? At that point, is it even worth it to move him before the deadline gets closer?

Count me into the group that would only like to see a move made right now, if it improves this team's chances at a playoff spot. Otherwise, hang onto the depth - it's a long season - and wait until teams get desperate in February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->