"Eriksson still working on transition to Bruins"

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
If what we've seen so far is "uncomfortable" Loui, I look forward to seeing him once he settles in.

He's looked great so far IMO.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Marchand seems very comfortable on his off-wing, he's scored more than a few goals coming down the right side (I believe he scored one against Detroit the other night).

Maybe he can be convinced to play RW *if* Eriksson has trouble making the adjustment? I would also give Loui a few more weeks to get comfortable before any changes are made.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Yeah I'm not into the idea of breaking up that line already. LKI looks good, 3rd line looks good, Merlot is Merlot.. Marsh Bergy and Loui have been practicing together since camp, I don't want to break them up right when Loui is just starting to settle in. Would send a bad message imo.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Haggerty do your research. This article is garbage. Eriksson played RW all the time in Dallas. In fact he spent more time at RW than LW!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand seems very comfortable on his off-wing, he's scored more than a few goals coming down the right side (I believe he scored one against Detroit the other night).

Maybe he can be convinced to play RW *if* Eriksson has trouble making the adjustment? I would also give Loui a few more weeks to get comfortable before any changes are made.

Marchand on the left wing and Bergeron at center on the same line is the most tried and true thing on this team. They have the most chemistry with each other on the team, so that shouldn't be changed or shifted around for anybody.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
We should kick back and enjoy having a true utility-winger instead of solving imaginary issues based on Haggs guesswork.
Loui has played plenty on RW over the years and I've never seen or heard anything suggesting he's not comfortable there until today. Good job, Hoser.

Edit: Oh.. Beaten to the punch.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
Haggerty do your research. This article is garbage. Eriksson played RW all the time in Dallas. In fact he spent more time at RW than LW!

Yes i remember reading about how he prefers the right wing while being a left handed shot. I thought this was weird when reading this.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Lol I guess the response to this the is its Haggerty-not exactly know for his due diligence.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Ted Haggarty is kind of an idiot.

Sure seems like it. Eriksson played RW the entire time Richards was here (3 seasons). He played RW with Ribeiro before the Richards trade and played with Ribeiro at RW after Richards left for NY. It really wasn't until both of those centers (and Neal) was gone that he moved back to LW and even then it wasn't an all the time kind of thing.

These were the most used lines when Eriksson was here

Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Ott-Benn-Eriksson

If you asked Stars fans what Eriksson was they would tell you he was a right winger. One would have to go out of their way to not watch Stars games to think otherwise. Haggerty is a hack.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Sure seems like it. Eriksson played RW the entire time Richards was here (3 seasons). He played RW with Ribeiro before the Richards trade and played with Ribeiro at RW after Richards left for NY. It really wasn't until both of those centers (and Neal) was gone that he moved back to LW and even then it wasn't an all the time kind of thing.

Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Ott-Benn-Eriksson

If you asked Stars fans what Eriksson was they would tell you he was a right winger. One would have to go out of their way to not watch Stars games to think otherwise. Haggerty is a hack.

This is accurate.

Not sure why people are suggesting breaking up the line when they've played well together so far. Good old Loui no points Eriksson with no points, what a bum, change it up, fire Cloooode.

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI

Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Ott-Benn-Eriksson

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize he had spent so much time on his off-wing.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Ott-Benn-Eriksson

so have you been following his start with the Bruins? Would love to hear your thoughts on him as a player. I've liked him for a long time and am thrilled that he's here but would definitely like to see him put up some points to gets some of the idiots here off his back.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
One could argue he`s more comfortable on it rather than the left side

haha one could argue that...in fact that one might be named Loui Eriksson and might have been quoted multiple times since the trade saying exactly that. :laugh:

I imagine Haggs interviewing Loui would go something like this:
Haggs: "So Loui, what do you prefer between left and right wing, and why do you prefer left wing?"
Loui: "uuuuh"
Haggs: "Well there you have it folks, it will definitely take him some time to adjust to playing right wing"

The funny thing is that in Behind the B episode 2 they even show a clip of Loui specifically telling Bergeron that he prefers to receive passes on his backhand

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
I like what I see so far.

Two games in and two wins while a few key new players are adjusting and not at their best.

Ya I am good with that.

Agreed. Plus, in Loui's case, he's a couple of inches away from having a couple of points, too. That he's creating quality chances for himself and others despite not being 100% comfortable speaks volumes, IMO.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Love it when a fan outside of our base chimes in to dismantle the pathetic work of Haggerty. :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Agreed. Plus, in Loui's case, he's a couple of inches away from having a couple of points, too. That he's creating quality chances for himself and others despite not being 100% comfortable speaks volumes, IMO.

There was that one save by Howard that I think was mostly a lucky save because that puck had goal written all over it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Love it when a fan outside of our base chimes in to dismantle the pathetic work of Haggerty. :laugh:

This article is a ruse. It's Haggerty planting the seeds of Loui getting off to a slow start, but trying to play it off like he supports the guy. That way, when he writes a hatchet piece if the guy goes scoreless for a while, he can crush him with impunity and if anyone calls him out, he can throw this story out as justification that he was on the player's side. It's nothing more than a setup for later on down the road. Standard operating procedure from the "tough" Boston media.

member 96824

Go home Joe, youre drunk.

Wish we could get that worthless "reporter" over to TMZ or the National Enquire instead.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
It might take some time but it will be worth it once he gets it. I prefer seeing left handed shots on the right wing. It is more advantageous for them from a shooting standpoint.

To make a cross-sport reference, Lionel Messi, the best soccer player in the world, originally played at left wing and he is left footed. When he switched to right wing, he didn't want to initially, but once he got it, he blew up, setting a new all time record for goals scored in a season last year in 2012.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2466/goal-50/2013/07/29/4146404/lionel-messi-wins-goal-50

I'm not saying Eriksson is gonna turn into Brett Hull, but he might well enjoy an uptick in scoring performance once he has made the adjustment.

Courtesy CSN's Joe Haggerty

For a left-handed skater playing on the right wing, it’s an adjustment after playing his natural left wing in Dallas over the last few years. Now he’s forced to get into the right wing mindset permanently and play most pucks sent his way on the backhand – a nuance Eriksson insists is no problem for him.

The Bruins typically spread things out in their breakouts, and rely on both good, strong, smart passes to players in motion and textbook dump passes into the corner to set up their offense. Perhaps still feeling a little Dallas in his game, Eriksson and Marchand have bumped into each other in some instances and completely switched sides on the wing at other moments.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/eriksson-still-working-transition-bruins

I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea Loui was a "natural left wing" who shoots left, now playing right wing.

Suddenly playing right wing while shooting left, and gathering passes on the backhand, is quite an adjustment. Never mind the "overloading" aspect (sic).

This tempers my enthusiasm for second line potential, though given the B's tight defensive system, I wasn't expecting 30 goals from Eriksson in any event. My hope is that he eventually adapts & can contribute offensively while providing solid defensive play, and I believe he will.

It's going to take time, however, as Julien suggests.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It might take some time but it will be worth it once he gets it. I prefer seeing left handed shots on the right wing. It is more advantageous for them from a shooting standpoint.

To make a cross-sport reference, Lionel Messi, the best soccer player in the world, originally played at left wing and he is left footed. When he switched to right wing, he didn't want to initially, but once he got it, he blew up, setting a new all time record for goals scored in a season last year in 2012.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2466/goal-50/2013/07/29/4146404/lionel-messi-wins-goal-50

I'm not saying Eriksson is gonna turn into Brett Hull, but he might well enjoy an uptick in scoring performance once he has made the adjustment.

lol did you not read the thread? We just established that there is no adjustment for him to make because he has been playing RW for several seasons. His only adjustments are to a new system and new linemates.

And hockey and soccer are so different mechanically that you can't really compare shooting styles between sports. Playing on the off wing can be advantageous in hockey IF the player has the skill and vision to make it work, but for a lot of guys it's worse because it puts the puck more in reach of defenders and can make it slower to get off a shot since they can't always carry it on there forehand and often have to pull it across their body before shooting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad