Tidbits: Eriksson Ek vs Kunin

Which starts with the Minnesota Wild?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So, who starts the season in Iowa and who starts with the Wild?

My guess is JEE stays with the Wild, but I think Kunin might get a shot relatively early as well.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I've got to think JEE has the best chance. He's bigger, faster, and smarter than last year and has what like 15 games or so under his belt?

I think JEE will be a force on this team in the next three years. And Kunin too. That guy made turn into a 1st line motor. There's not a doubt in my mind he's NHL material. At the worst he's a 3rd line motor with a great shot. The thing that I and many people like most about him is his leadership and lead by example tenacity.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wel, it would be nice if we could've seen Kunin in more pre season games so we could actually make a decision based on, you know, reality.

Gotta be Ek. He's got the size, wheels, and plays a position of need.

Kunin looks to be tough enough to play NHL, but it's too soon to see if he has enough speed and talent to be effective up here. It looked like he was trying to impress the brass with his physical play and " want to" in the brief viewings I had of him. That's great, but we don't need another grinder. I want him to be finding spots on the ice where he can use his offensive talent.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
JEE based on his play last year and the prospect tournament. I think he's done a bit more to "earn" it to this point, so unless he really stinks it up the last 2 preseason games he's a lock. Kunin has made a much stronger run at the spot than I ever expected though and honestly might even deserve it but he hasn't put in enough time yet to really justify putting him ahead.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont think kunin will start on the big club however if ennis or parise get injured i'd rather have kunin than winnik or others

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want Kunin to be scoring on a regular basis in the AHL before he is brought up. Winnie is a different type of player, and will serve a different function on the team. I like what I've seen of him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Parise can't go, both. If he can just JEE
I don't think Parise has much to do with it. Ennis will take his spot up the lineup if he can't go.

I think for cap reasons alone one of Ek or Kunin will start in Iowa, most likely Kunin.

Kunin will get a call at some point later in the season if/when injuries happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Send them both to Iowa and sign Winnik. Start saving up the cap space now for the TDL/bonuses.

I've only seen Kunin play this preseason, so I can't compare how they looked on ice.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Send them both to Iowa and sign Winnik. Start saving up the cap space now for the TDL/bonuses.

I've only seen Kunin play this preseason, so I can't compare how they looked on ice.

This is what I'm starting to think might happen, mostly because of the comments that Bruce wants Winnik.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Ek didn't look out of place last year - I can only imagine he will look even better this season.

No reason for him to go to Iowa.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Except Ek is being given a legit shot at the 3rd line center position so Coyle can stay on RW if he can hold it. IF Ek plays well enough for it, Winnik signing won't affect Ek. I would guess it may or may not make Stewart expendable instead.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
from the one game I saw of Kunin in preseason, he didn't didnt even win a draw. Not sure how he is doing tonight besides the assist. But I wouldnt rush Kunin.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Foligno/Coyle/Ennis 3rd line then?

Yes. I'm not a fan of Ennis, but he and Foligno have played well in the preseason (the little that I saw). It requires everyone being healthy (questionable) to send both JEE and Kunin to Iowa. Plus I think the two of them will push each other (and the Iowa team) to be better,

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Q9 is at a disadvantage since Ek has played in the NHL already. He will get at least 9 games throughout the season. I can almost guarantee that.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I would imagine he'll get a lot more than 9 games. He might not start game 1 but he'll probably be the first injury callup, or if guys are struggling and get sat a game. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce sends JEE down from time to time in order to give Kunin more of a shot. Might as well make use of the waiver exemption while you still can.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Over the course of a long season, I think Eriksson Ek has the edge, due to having played pro for years, and having seen actual game time (including playoffs) in the NHL. He "knows the beast" already, while Kunin does not. That said, I think Kunin is nearly a lock to make it onto the opening night roster, and probably will get at least 9 games this year. It's hard to keep guys with good skill and tireless work ethic down for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->