Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
With a lot of the fancy stats coming out suggesting teams are wasting goalie's best years with the traditional slow approach, I'd love to see us trying to get him playing professional hockey sooner rather than later.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With a lot of the fancy stats coming out suggesting teams are wasting goalie's best years with the traditional slow approach, I'd love to see us trying to get him playing professional hockey sooner rather than later.
Can you site those fancy stats. I'd like to take a look because I've never heard of this.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can you site those fancy stats. I'd like to take a look because I've never heard of this.

Youth movement among goalies gaining traction

This article touches on that topic. It doesn't use stuff like the Clearsight stats to back it up. But, knowing that Woody has access to that stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if those stats helped shape his opinion leading into writing the article.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's been so long since they were relevant that I will believe it when I see it.

It takes more than just some highly touted NHL Draft prospects to be a solid NCAA team. Wisconsin is a good example of that lately.
There will always be underachieving but last year's Wisconsin was more of an exception than a rule. They just didn't get much out of all that talent. But yeah, it all remains to be seen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There will always be underachieving but last year's Wisconsin was more of an exception than a rule. They just didn't get much out of all that talent. But yeah, it all remains to be seen.

The common thread is that Wisconsin and Michigan both have coaching staffs that lack a track record of getting the most out of their teams.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

Looks like he’s getting his first career start tonight vs. Notre Dame.

Edit: Looking at their previous lineups, maybe not. Looks like they choose to just list their goalies in numerical order. Bizarre.

Edit 2: Yep, Mann leads the team out of the tunnel. SID was just trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCerebral1

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Mann gets pulled after giving up 6 in a little over 30 minutes against winless Penn State; Portillo finally making his debut.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
So he didn't actually start the game. Those UofM roster tweets always have him listed first, so there is no way of knowing if he's getting the start.

He did however get some action for the first time this year as he relieved Mann midway through the game. Let in 2 himself. Nothing special to write home about, but he definitely looked better than his counterparts tonight. Michigan lost 9-5.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Everyone is always touting UPL, but I think it is this kid that will be the next great Sabres goaltender. My god he is huge.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Everyone is always touting UPL, but I think it is this kid that will be the next great Sabres goaltender. My god he is huge.

The Sabres should draft a goalie every year. Have a bunch of bullets lined up. Better to have depth and never need it than no depth and need it. We have three prospect hopes and nothing else. JJ, 6K and Portillo (who also needs a nickname)

Reactions: Buffaloed

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres should draft a goalie every year. Have a bunch of bullets lined up. Better to have depth and never need it than no depth and need it. We have three prospect hopes and nothing else. JJ, 6K and Portillo (who also needs a nickname)
Portillo is a Spanish word. It's not a good name for a goalie. lol
It's translates to wicket, and literally means "small port"

Portillo Spanish to English Translation

por·ti·llo

masculine
  • de muro opening, gap
  • postigo wicker (small door within a gate)
  • puerta gate
  • paso angostop ass, path (between mountains)
  • figurativemella chip (in a plate)
  • punto vulnerable weak spot
  • posibilidad opening (for a solution)

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Portillo is a Spanish word. It's not a good name for a goalie. lol
It's translates to wicket, and literally means "small port"

Portillo Spanish to English Translation

por·ti·llo

masculine
  • de muro opening, gap
  • postigo wicker (small door within a gate)
  • puerta gate
  • paso angostop ass, path (between mountains)
  • figurativemella chip (in a plate)
  • punto vulnerable weak spot
  • posibilidad opening (for a solution)

So based on this list, call him Ass?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->