Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Fun fact:

They actually got their lunch order and draft card confused.

https://www.portillos.com

Ate there a couple of weeks ago. Always a must-do when in the Chicago area. That and Lou Malnati's. YUM.
I’ve had it in Chicago...

We have em here in Minnesota now, dat italian beef with sweet peppers and a chocolate cake will send you into a coma
and 99% sure I’ve eaten at a Portillos by the Gila River arena complex in west Phoenix, too.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Goalie_of_the_Week_111819_large.jpg

2019-20 USHL Players of the Week - Week 8
Portillo was excellent for the Fighting Saints in net last weekend, picking up a pair of wins while allowing just one goal in each of the wins and finishing the pair of games with a 0.99 goals against average (GAA) and 0.956 save percentage (SV%). The Buffalo Sabres prospect (2019, Rd. 3, #67) turned aside 24 shots on Friday night in a 2-1 overtime win over the Tri-City Storm before stopping another 19 the next night in a 5-1 win over the Lincoln Stars. Portillo, a University of Michigan commit, is currently 8-1-1-0 this season with a 2.17 GAA and 0.907 SV% in 10 appearances. The Swedish netminder is tied for first with eight wins, ranks second in the USHL for GAA and 10th for SV%. Portillo's pair of single-goal-allowed games last weekend gave him one goal allowed in five of his 10 appearances this season.

Sabres goalie prospect Erik Portillo reaching 'another level' in Dubuque
"I think Erik has been good and then last weekend he took it to another level where he showed he can really close the door and be unbelievable," Dubuque General Manager Kalle Larsson said.
"He’s been great. He’s been everything we could have expected. I think he’s been even better early on than I thought. I still expect him to after Christmas really hit his stride and be at that top level the whole time. He’s been awesome. He’s a great teammate, he’s a good kid and obviously he’s a heck of a goalie."

“I am always working hard and I’ve done that all my life,” Portillo told The Buffalo News in a phone interview Wednesday. “Last year I had a new goalie coach who came in and really helped me take my game to the next level. That’s what helped me get here and now I’m doing the same stuff. I’m trying to get to another level again.”

Portillo is hoping to play at the WJC's for team Sweden Dec. 26 through Jan. 5 in Czech Republic. He's committed to play at the University of Michigan next season.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Look at how huge he is. 6'7" 215 lbs and is not full grown yet. I want to nickname him "Duncan" like the walrus in the Geico commercial.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I loved this pick when we made it because it really locks down our goaltending pipeline for some time. He is the biggest one of our prospects. Makes me think of that Geico walrus Duncan.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Always nice to at least have your bases covered in some aspects. The drafting has improved slowly under Botterill. There are more guys being found. Also, the development of youth is improving. You can look at Murray draftee Johansson (goalie) and see that Rochester is a great place to send our prospects. I wonder if the GM of this team is really in Rochester that needs to take over the reigns. Greeley or Sexton that being.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Always nice to at least have your bases covered in some aspects. The drafting has improved slowly under Botterill. There are more guys being found. Also, the development of youth is improving. You can look at Murray draftee Johansson (goalie) and see that Rochester is a great place to send our prospects. I wonder if the GM of this team is really in Rochester that needs to take over the reigns. Greeley or Sexton that being.

i wish I could believe this! Fingers crossed, but I still have no faith in our drafting and development....and won’t until a single prospects gets drafted and successfully developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->