Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He played for the U20
2018-19
1.png
Frölunda HC J20
SuperElit261.99.931
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Good statline, good size. In theory, it's promising pick but considering he's an overager 67 is too early for my taste to pick him.

Long term goalie depth is an issue, so again, yes it's not sexy. Going to judge it going into the season and go from there. We're not trading to add on a bunch of crap cap, which is what I thought we'd already have done. So I'm happy to a degree.

Reactions: Zman5778

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I really like this move a lot ! Depth is depth and I really like this pick ! His stats look promising and this gives us more depth now behind UPL so great job by Botterill and we still have 5 picks to go

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If this was their guy, you'd think they could have traded down and still taken him? Hope he works out, but he's a goalie, and they're magical fairy dusty Ouija board mysticism.

All it takes is one of the other 30 teams to like him, and at that point in the draft it's such a crapshoot that every team's big boards are going to look crazy. All it takes is one scout banging the table hard enough...so if you like the guy the best, you just take him. Consensus rankings are worthless in determining if a guy will still be around 30 picks later because there's really not a tight consensus at that point and teams will go "off the board" all the time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If this was their guy, you'd think they could have traded down and still taken him? Hope he works out, but he's a goalie, and they're magical fairy dusty Ouija board mysticism.

Sounds like they were concerned he wouldn't be there with their own later pick. Not sure if they could have slid down to get an extra pick... would have been nice.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Generally would prefer a goalie in the 4th or 5th but the difference is minimal. He was their guy and they got him. Glad to have someone else at the position as UPL is going to the next level after his recovery. I like the comments on his stickhandling asthat always adds an entertaining level to a tender even if it's not the same as it was pre-trapezoid. Hope he pans out and can push a panned out UPL in a few years.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I figured round 3 was the prime spot to grab a goalie. Between development time and randomness in goalies grabbing one now is good.

Agreed 3 to 5 seems to be where you roll the dice on a goalie every other year and see how it shakes out.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Matt Murray was a 3rd rounder for the Pens when Botterill and Sexton were there.

So what you're saying is this kid is definitely going to win a cup for us? :D
Both 3rd round picks, both will work with Mike Bales. I don't see how the result could possibly be anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->