tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
5cd23eb46c586.image.jpg

Erik Portillo at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Isn’t that the team Girgs is part owner of?

Does this team just own his USHL rights but he’s going to Michigan? Or is he supposed to play there first?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

Isn’t that the team Girgs is part owner of?

Does this team just own his USHL rights but he’s going to Michigan? Or is he supposed to play there first?
Outlook — The second-year draft eligible goaltender led the Swedish Super Elit League in goals against average and save percentage before being selected by Dubuque at No. 5 overall in the USHL Draft. He has been ranked No. 126 by Future Considerations and No. 89 by McKeen’s Hockey and has seen his stock rise. Portillo has committed to play at the University of Michigan following a season in the USHL with Dubuque.
USHL: Fighting Saints players waiting for the call

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I figured round 3 was the prime spot to grab a goalie. Between development time and randomness in goalies grabbing one now is good.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Taking a goalie today seemed destined. I thought they'd wait, but meh. Big guy. Best goalie in the Swedish 2nd league. Going to college. So by the time we know what exactly we have in UPL, this guy will be just about ready for the pros.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Taking a goalie today seemed destined. I thought they'd wait, but meh. Big guy. Best goalie in the Swedish 2nd league. Going to college. So by the time we know what exactly we have in UPL, this guy will be just about ready for the pros.
He's only an year younger than UPL. Them two should be competing for the net in 3-4 years time.

Edit: Unless Ullmark has it locked in at that point of course.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Not sure how much he played for Frolunda, but they were the class of the SHL this season. So I'm guessing he showed something. I don't have an issue with it, though this draft is weird.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Depends on how long Portillo stays at Michigan. UPL MIGHT be playing in the pros this year.
Goalies that develop well should be able to enter NHL starting at 23. I think Portillo will be 23 in 4 years time. UPL will be 23 in 3 years time and if he's truly elite he may actually enter NHL at 22. I'm good with the pick from pipeline point of view, just would have preferred to try to trade down the 3rd for 4+5th and use the 4th instead and still have another bonus pick for it. Seems like 67 is a bit of a reach.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not sure how much he played for Frolunda, but they were the class of the SHL this season. So I'm guessing he showed something. I don't have an issue with it, though this draft is weird.
He played for the U20
2018-19
1.png
Frölunda HC J20
SuperElit261.99.931
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Good statline, good size. In theory, it's promising pick but considering he's an overager 67 is too early for my taste to pick him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Goalies that develop well should be able to enter NHL starting at 23. I think Portillo will be 23 in 4 years time. UPL will be 23 in 3 years time and if he's truly elite he may actually enter NHL at 22. I'm good with the pick from pipeline point of view, just would have preferred to try to trade down the 3rd for 4+5th and use the 4th instead and still have another bonus pick for it. Seems like 67 is a bit of a reach.

Eh. I'm always of the mind that if there's a guy on the board that a team wants.....just take him. Don't try to get cute. Getting cute sometimes gets you burned. And the video of the Sabres table right after the pick showed that the entire table seemed very pleased in taking Portillo.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If this was their guy, you'd think they could have traded down and still taken him? Hope he works out, but he's a goalie, and they're magical fairy dusty Ouija board mysticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->