Erik Karlsson's atrocious defending vs Hawks (3 examples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Karlsson was bad defensively last year and was good but not Norris level offensively and people were wondering if he’s injured. Well he’s had a whole offseason to recover, and he’s been playing ever since being “injured”....

Is it possible he’s just not as good as he once was?

He's been in a progressive decline since the Achilles injury, IMO.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
He's lost a step in his skating and I think this is going to seal the deal on his production.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Karlsson has never really been that good defensively and anyone who tells you otherwise is a lying homer.

Back in the day, or like 5 years ago people would attack you if you said Karlsson wasn't good defensively and that, while extremely impressive offensively, it just further cemented that the Norris is the Art Ross for dmen.
do you think karlsson turns it over on that second goal 5 years ago???

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's been in a progressive decline since the Achilles injury, IMO.

He was at his best skating wise before the Achilles but he was still a top 3 player in the year he almost won a lotto team the cup. Sadly it seems that his efforts to do that did the most amount of damage to his future. Hasn't skated quite at that ridiculous level since the broken foot.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
No, I don't, because there isn't one now. Before this thread, the last one in this sub-forum that was critical of Karlsson was a week ago (and it wasn't even that critical, just asking if SJ choosing him over Pavelski was the right choice) and the last one before that all the way last Spring. You're grossly exaggerating to make an argument, which suggests that you're not objective. This thread wasn't even created by a Canadian, but by a Finn, yet you're going on and on about Canadians hating on Karlsson.

Has it ever occurred to that the criticism isn't because he's European, but because people dislike his style of play, he's the highest paid defenseman and his recent defense warrants criticism? Mike Green used to get dumped on for having the same one-dimensional style of play (though I guess that you wouldn't know that if you've been around less than a year), Subban gets dumped on because he's also one of the highest paid defenseman and Phaneuf has taken his fair share of heat in the past, too. All three of those players are Canadian. A player's nationality may be the most important thing to you, but you shouldn't assume that others are just as intensely nationalistic and narrow minded.
people dislike his style of play? Do you know what kind of career he had so far? Almost took ottawa to stanley cup finals on his own. 2 time norris winner, wasnt on the ice for a single goal against when sweden took silver at olympics, finished tied for 4th in scoring as a defenseman etc

I am just tired of people like you who treats karlsson like crap.

If anything norris winner Subban has fallen off way harder than karlsson has, but I dont see any daily threads about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why doesn't Doughty get dumped on? His seasons last year was worse than any Karlssons ever had.

As I said earlier in the thread, he does get dumped on. It's more for his demeanor than his play, but being Canadian hasn't spared him from it like you'd expect if people have a pro-Canada agenda like Star Ocean would have us believe.

As for why Doughty doesn't receive nearly the same criticism for his play, that's because he almost never looks disinterested in defense and people respect that he really tries to play a two-way game, even if the results aren't always there. It's the same reason why Kopitar hasn't been criticized too much for last season, either.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
people dislike his style of play? Do you know what kind of career he had so far? Almost took ottawa to stanley cup finals on his own. 2 time norris winner, wasnt on the ice for a single goal against when sweden took silver at olympics, finished tied for 4th in scoring as a defenseman etc

If anything norris winner Subban has fallen off way harder than karlsson has, but I dont see any daily threads about it.
Do you think incessantly telling people that they don't like Karlsson because he's Swedish is going to make people like him?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Do you think incessantly telling people that they don't like Karlsson because he's Swedish is going to make people like him?
People dislike karlsson for unfair and nonsense reasons. Even when he scored over 80p and finished 4th in the league he was bashed. Or the fact when he was lights out at 2014 olympics it was shrugged off. As a hockey fan it bothers me.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
People dislike karlsson for unfair and nonsense reasons. Even when he scored over 80p and finished 4th in the league he was bashed. Or the fact when he was lights out at 2014 olympics it was shrugged off. As a hockey fan it bothers me.
I'm just pointing out that you're likely only making it worse.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I don't see what his accomplishments have to do with it. You don't have to automatically like a player's style of play just because he's been successful with it. You think that Doughty is overrated and his list of accomplishments is as least as impressive as Karlsson's.

I rarely comment on Karlsson, much less criticize him, but I'm not surprised that you would try to paint me with such a brush. I'm arguing with you because you're being ridiculous, not because I have a great hatred for Karlsson.

Be honest. Your post history very strongly suggests that you're a fan of Swedish hockey. That's fine, but I think that you liking Karlsson so much because he's Swedish leads you to assume that people who dislike him do so for the same reason.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I don't see what his accomplishments have to do with it. You don't have to automatically like a player's style of play just because he's been successful with it. You think that Doughty is overrated and his list of accomplishments is as least as impressive as Karlsson's.

I rarely comment on Karlsson, much less criticize him, but I'm not surprised that you would try to paint me with such a brush. I'm arguing with you because you're being ridiculous, not because I have a great hatred for Karlsson.

Be honest. Your post history very strongly suggests that you're a fan of Swedish hockey. That's fine, but I think that you liking Karlsson so much because he's Swedish leads you to assume that people who dislike him do so for the same reason.
My point still stands, Karlsson gets a lot of unfair reputation here.

I am going to continue quote you here since I fighting the good fight. Not gonna budge in my opinion.

Reactions: Sarcasm

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My point still stands, Karlsson gets a lot of unfair reputation here.

You might be right about that. I'm only arguing with your claim that it's because he's Swedish.

I am going to continue quote you here since I fighting the good fight. Not gonna budge in my opinion.

I respect that you're defending him, even if I don't agree with the details of your argument.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He's been like that since his days in Ottawa. He's a forward playing on the blue line. Amazing offensively, horrible defensively.
A forward playing D. That is such a horrible take, always has been. Karlsson was a truly elite skater and D and Cs/Fs do not skate similar at all. I watched his entire career playing with the Sens and the heavy majority of his points came from within 5 to 10 feet of the blue line, moving at times along the blue line in a way that Fs/Cs cannot do.

Reactions: Sarcasm and NyQuil

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He's lost a step in his skating and I think this is going to seal the deal on his production.
If Karlsson is given ice time he will still produce points, you can bet your last dollar on that. He just may be terribly defensively while doing it.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Most overrated player in the game. His days of being a so called elite "dman" are long behind him. He is and always has been elite in the offensive end but a dumpster fire in his own zone. In those clips he looks uninterested and just going thru the motions. As a Kings fan im glad Doug Wilson gave him a bloated contract at the expense of their long time captain whom was their heart and soul of the team, plus a few other important roster players.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Most overrated player in the game. His days of being a so called elite "dman" are long behind him. He is and always has been elite in the offensive end but a dumpster fire in his own zone. In those clips he looks uninterested and just going thru the motions. As a Kings fan im glad Doug Wilson gave him a bloated contract at the expense of their long time captain whom was their heart and soul of the team, plus a few other important roster players.

Pavelski has 1 assist and 0 goals in 6 games and his team is struggling just as much as the Sharks.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Pavelski has 1 assist and 0 goals in 6 games and his team is struggling just as much as the Sharks.
Pavelski's impact with the Sharks was more than just putting up points. Im sure that Pavelski will develop chemistry with his new teammates and turn it around.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Pavelski's impact with the Sharks was more than just putting up points. Im sure that Pavelski will develop chemistry with his new teammates and turn it around.

I am sorry but if you are going to make $7 million per year you need to produce offensively. I am more confident in 29 year old EK turning it around than I am in 35 year old Pavelski turning it around.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
I am sorry but if you are going to make $7 million per year you need to produce offensively. I am more confident in 29 year old EK turning it around than I am in 35 year old Pavelski turning it around.

Because 2 assists and being a -8 over 4 games are encouraging stats for a player making 11.5 per year.

Reactions: Pez68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->