Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not without moving some expensive contract, He won't.

The ones they would want to move either have full NMCs or NTC’s so would have to find the right suitor while also likely giving away some assets. They are stacked and have a very good team, no reason to do this.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's crazy how many things I thought I'd never see happen, happen.

Duchene would stay in Colorado for a long, long time.
Karlsson would be a Senator for life.
Marleau would be a Shark for life.
Weber would be a Predator for life.
Tavares would be an Islander for life.
Sundin would be a Leaf for life.
Naslund would be a Canuck for life.

Definitely thought this was about to happen, then he had to go and play the first 300+ games of his career for the Nordiques.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
San Jose's window looks really small. I don't think he re-signs there long-term, if at all.
If Melnyk sells the team, and Alfredsson is in the management team, I think Ottawa is actually a front-runner, if they haven't gutted the team much more by then.
If not, Tampa Bay is then the front runner IMO.
Yeah cuz he would join a team with no window at all, a basement team with no talent for the next 5 years lol

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The ones they would want to move either have full NMCs or NTC’s so would have to find the right suitor while also likely giving away some assets. They are stacked and have a very good team, no reason to do this.

Killorn ntc gets changed to limited ntc next offseason. Callahan will only have 1 year left. Miller we can trade before the draft. Its doable. Honestly might be the smart thing to do regardless of whether Karlsson comes or not. We have some good young players waiting their turn. Im excited about seeing them.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I would like to know how they give up a 2019 1st when it was traded for Kane though....

The 1st in the Kane trade was a protected 1st. If SJS miss the playoffs, the Sabres get the 2020 1st.

Meaning, OTT gets the opposite of what BUF gets. If SJS miss the playoffs, OTT get the 2019 SJS pick, if SJS make the playoffs, OTT gets the 2020 pick.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
My perspective on SJ is that their core is aging, and the prospect cupboards aren't as full as other teams. Karlsson signing there doesn't change their age.

Karlsson controls where he wants to go, and he might indeed like it there, and perhaps wants to sign in SJS for a short-term extension, but how will that team look in the latter part of a long-term extension?

Remember:
SJ = No 2019 1st , no 2020 1st. It is conceivable that there would be no 2021 1st as well, if he does indeed re-sign (and they make the cup final, otherwise no 2nd).
Player ages next year: Thornton (40), Pavelski (35), Burns (34), Braun (32), Vlasic (32), Couture (30), etc. Still some juice left for next year, maybe another year after that, but many of these players (the core) will be on the decline.

If he signs in SJ it is for a short-term extension IMO, but I still think even if he likes it there, he is much more likely to sign elsewhere after this year.

Dude is not signing a short-term extension. You take the big contract when it's there. He's not going to risk losing a ton of money should he get injured down the road.

Whether that's with the Sharks or anyone else, he'll sign a max deal term wise.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
San Jose's window looks really small. I don't think he re-signs there long-term, if at all.
If Melnyk sells the team, and Alfredsson is in the management team, I think Ottawa is actually a front-runner, if they haven't gutted the team much more by then.
If not, Tampa Bay is then the front runner IMO.

People said SJ was done then they went to a cup final. Vegas didnt even have a window and they went to a cup final. Sens were a goal away from a cup final then became the biggest mess in the league. Windows are kind of a fallacy. And EK is not going back to Ottawa.

Reactions: SharksAddict

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he really wants to stay away from Hoffman, Tampa doesn't seem logical.

Vancouver and Dallas will go after him I'm sure.

NYI/BOS/NJD/COL/VGK/CHI/CBJ will all have interest. I could also see him staying in San Jose.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
If the Leafs trade Nylander for young wingers/picks, then dont re-sign Gardiner and find a way to trade Marleau they can fit him cap wise!

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
Dude is not signing a short-term extension. You take the big contract when it's there. He's not going to risk losing a ton of money should he get injured down the road.

Whether that's with the Sharks or anyone else, he'll sign a max deal term wise.
Then it won't be in SJ is my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad