Erik Karlsson

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because Burns, Hamilton and Klingberg, over a five year period, have posted similar numbers.
EK has been inconsistent throughout his career, some great seasons, some good but barely top ten seasons.
Others have had lower highs but higher lows.
Point is that EK isn't head and shoulder above his peers, more like a couple inches.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Let's be serious. Guys who played 40 years ago when goalies were awful, no one in the league could skate and the available player pool was 1/4 of today don't compare to superstars of today.

Chris Chelios in no way impacted the game as much as Karlsson does.

Karlsson maybe won't have the longevity/durability of Chelios/Lidstrom, but on a per-game basis, he's better, has more elite skills.

Yeah. Guys who played 40 years ago like Orr and Park were crap compared to players now. And 30 years ago like Bourque and Potvin and Robinson have no business being compared to elite defense men today.

Parent would suck. So would Tony O, Hasek and Patrick Roy. Barely any athletic skill. All awful.

And Mark Howe for that matter.

Could never be elite in today's league.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
My hesitation is in his ankle. I wouldn’t trade for due to what we give up in four years out produces him then.

As a free agent. It’s iffy for me. Cause that contract will be big. And make it harder to keep young talent. Will he make us better. Yes. But it reminds me of holmgren era where we are now getting out of those contracts.

Hextall has been very patient and unloaded a lot of sloop contracts. Lehtera Macdonald are next. Then Weise Could we do it sure but worried that ankle turns to foppa 2.0.

GingerBeards

Apr 24, 2018
You reference Lidstrom as if he was a super old geezer. He won a Norris Trophy this decade. Karlsson might have more flash than Lidstrom ever had but, Lidstrom was still the better defenseman.
Agreed. Lidstrom is top 5 all time in my opinion. Not only did he put up solid offensive numbers, but he was always a rock on D and made everyone around him better. There's a reason he played for 20 seasons and he made the playoffs 20 times. 7 Norris trophies and 3 times runner up. Though it's a stat most of us take with a grain of salt, it's still worth noting that only once in his career (age 40) did he have a minus rating and it was only -2. He finished his career 8th all time at +450.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Yeah. Guys who played 40 years ago like Orr and Park were crap compared to players now. And 30 years ago like Bourque and Potvin and Robinson have no business being compared to elite defense men today.

Parent would suck. So would Tony O, Hasek and Patrick Roy. Barely any athletic skill. All awful.

And Mark Howe for that matter.

Could never be elite in today's league.

Impact of Modern equipment, training, salaries (no need to hold a side job in the off season) ,etc? Just imagine Hasek trying to play without a mask and wearing those heavy leather pads. His stick-dropping scramble shit would have gotten him literally killed.

Face it, many of the "superstars" in today's league would have more trouble being effective in the 70s/80s than older players adjusting to the current world.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad