Erik Karlsson

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
eyeroll.gif

bear3330

Jul 8, 2018
It'd take too many assets to get him. If he makes it to free agency I'd make a strong offer though. Not very often someone of his caliber becomes available for nothing more than a cap hit. Our D would immediately become one of the tops in the league

Provy - Karlsson
Ghost - Myers
Sanheim - Morin/Hagg/Gudas

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

Not sure how they fit him in monetarily and stylistically. He has to play PP1, bumping Ghost down to PP2 or over to Jake's spot. Also, with Provy's upcoming deal they'll be looking at nearly $20mil tied up in their first pairing.

I'd expect Hextall to at least inquire should he hit the FA market, but some bodies would probably need to be moved out.

bear3330

Jul 8, 2018

Not sure how they fit him in monetarily and stylistically. He has to play PP1, bumping Ghost down to PP2 or over to Jake's spot. Also, with Provy's upcoming deal they'll be looking at nearly $20mil tied up in their first pairing.

I'd expect Hextall to at least inquire should he hit the FA market, but some bodies would probably need to be moved out.

I think money could become an issue if not managed well but it can be done without moving bodies. Hextall has shown he can manage the cap well thus far, I'd say go for it and try to make it work. I admit, my opinion is banking on one of our goalie prospects panning out. If that doesn't happen then it likely doesn't make a difference.

Can you name one team in recent history that has won the cup without at least 1 superstar?

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I think money could become an issue if not managed well but it can be done without moving bodies. Hextall has shown he can manage the cap well thus far, I'd say go for it and try to make it work. I admit, my opinion is banking on one of our goalie prospects panning out. If that doesn't happen then it likely doesn't make a difference.

Can you name one team in recent history that has won the cup without at least 1 superstar?

The closest is probably the Bruins in 2011 but that's a stretch. I'm not denying you need superstar talent, though.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

I'm my opinion the only thing that keeps Giroux from being a superstar is a lack of recognition.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Why do people think the Flyers need or want Karlsson? Hus cap hit and his age combined with the Flyers depth of Defenseman prospects... this makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: wasup

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the only way they look at Karlsson is Sanheim and Myers go belly up this season.
And even then, Ghost is a much better PP QB, so that lowers Karlsson's value relative to his expected contract.
On the other hand, if Morin comes around, Karlsson would be the perfect partner at RHD for him.

No way they trade for him, too expensive.
Next summer Hextall will view his options, but he won't make any FA the highest offer, he'll make what he thinks is a reasonable offer then walk away if it's not accepted.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
And health. Vancouver was on another level back in 2011 and should of gotten the victory.

Absolutely. Point being, no superstar can drag a team of plugs to a cup win. The closest to happening in hockey was Pronger in Edmonton.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
So you have to have a superstar to win a cup.

But you can't be a superstar until you can prove you are a winner by winning a cup.

So how does any team win their first cup? Do they have to acquire a super star from another team? Can you only become a superstar if you are drafted onto a team with another super star and win a cup with them?

What was Alex O before this year? What is Mcdavid?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think the only way they look at Karlsson is Sanheim and Myers go belly up this season.
And even then, Ghost is a much better PP QB, so that lowers Karlsson's value relative to his expected contract.
On the other hand, if Morin comes around, Karlsson would be the perfect partner at RHD for him.

No way they trade for him, too expensive.
Next summer Hextall will view his options, but he won't make any FA the highest offer, he'll make what he thinks is a reasonable offer then walk away if it's not accepted.
Just imaging

Provy Ghost
Morin Karlsson
Sanheim Myers

Our D would just come at teams in waves if allowed to

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Just imaging

Provy Ghost
Morin Karlsson
Sanheim Myers

I don't know that I have much faith in Morin going forward, but I think the acquisition of Karlsson would probably shake one of Sanheim or Myers loose. If you're signing Karlsson you're going to be handing him money, term, and minutes, and there isn't much point in essentially assigning one of Sanheim or Myers to the 3rd pairing for 5 years...not best use/conducive to development, and I'm sure the player would be displeased.

That probably opens the door to trading one of the two at that point. A Karlsson signing is a clear win-now decision, so I think you probably end up packaging the odd man out with another piece or two for another bigtime forward.

Just spitballing what I think the downstream consequences would be, but I'd see anything involving Karlsson as a total flip in Hextall's gameplan, and there'd be other dominos that would probably fall there. I don't see it as likely or smart.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just imaging

Provy Ghost
Morin Karlsson
Sanheim Myers

Whatever pairing Karlsson is on should always be listed 1st my friend

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw