Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ok let's look at the past 10 seasons that Karlsson and Stamkos have been in the league. Each team has finished above the other 5 times, so even there. Each team has been to the playoffs 5 times, so even there. We've had better success in the playoffs but to make it seem like Ottawa has been a basement team his entire career is just wrong.
Over the last 10 seasons Ottawa has played in 48 playoff games (one ECF appearance). Tampa has played in 82 playoff games (three ECF appearances and one SCF). Don't tell me both teams have been equally successful. Ottawa hasn't been a basement team, both teams have made the playoffs five times but Tampa went way deeper and more often.

[obligatory "inb4 we didn't win a Cup during that time".]

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Also the past doesnt really matter in this argument. Karlsson isnt thinking about what the teams have done, hes looking at where the team is going. Ottawa is trending down with all their mess going on. TB has been contenders for a few years now, has stable ownership, and great young players. Wonder where I would rather go??

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm wondering if Dorion and EK aren't just buying time right now. If EK believes there's a chance the team is sold shortly, he likely just stays in OTT. It sure seemed like there was a ton of steam behind EK being moved and then it just went completely silent after being reported he's not likely to sign an extension right away with any team, even those who he supposedly wants to play for.

Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes and EK believes a sale could happen soon enough.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm wondering if Dorion and EK aren't just buying time right now. If EK believes there's a chance the team is sold shortly, he likely just stays in OTT. It sure seemed like there was a ton of steam behind EK being moved and then it just went completely silent after being reported he's not likely to sign an extension right away with any team, even those who he supposedly wants to play for.

Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes and EK believes a sale could happen soon enough.

Could be. I think nobody is giving them a deal that they want and are just waiting for a team to do it. I think they are hoping for the best in a sale but that is up to Melnyk. If they are going to sell then I would think they would let teams know. However there could be a date where they (Ottawa and teams in on Karlsson) know whether or not its happening. This way they have a day that they either move on or dont. Could also be a date where they say if you dont give x by this date then hes going to be traded here. Too many possible scenarios. I think we will know before the end of the month. SY will probably move on to plan b by then I would think.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Would probably be the best bet, but then on the other hand who could we get to improve the team for this season and still be able to afford and get Karlsson next summer.
We should be good enough to get to the finals now in the east really who is that much better then us ? Adding some youth up front with Erne and Joseph should help us out . Vasy should be better sergachev should be better! You get a full year with Miller and mcdonagh.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
We should be good enough to get to the finals now in the east really who is that much better then us ? Adding some youth up front with Erne and Joseph should help us out . Vasy should be better sergachev should be better! You get a full year with Miller and mcdonagh.
I aniticipate having an even better year next season with a full year with Miller and McDonagh, Sergey and Vasy have another year of experience (including the all-important playoff experience) under their belts, and Cirelli and Erne... and whomever shines out of training camp and can steal a roster spot (Joseph, Raddysh, Stephens, or Foote)...Karlsson would be a bonus add this year but we can definitely wait until he is UFA and not give up anything for him too... I am okay either way. Would love to have him but feel we are all set without him too...

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I aniticipate having an even better year next season with a full year with Miller and McDonagh, Sergey and Vasy have another year of experience (including the all-important playoff experience) under their belts, and Cirelli and Erne... and whomever shines out of training camp and can steal a roster spot (Joseph, Raddysh, Stephens, or Foote)...Karlsson would be a bonus add this year but we can definitely wait until he is UFA and not give up anything for him too... I am okay either way. Would love to have him but feel we are all set without him too...
And if we win a Stanley cup without karlsson it’s only helps us more to get him to sign here as a ufa next summer .

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Eklund "rumors" blend in nicely here on HF since they're just useless speculation and have about 0,01% chance of being correct.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
4qaxmuuf3ka11.jpg

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't get what ottawa is waiting for ? the offers are not going to improve it's less then one year until he can sign with any team he wants. If he goes into the season and gets a injury that drives his price down more also

Im not convinced they are waiting for the trade deadline. They are either waiting for a team to up their offer, as they have a little time for a team to make that kind of decision. Or they think a possible sale is coming and EK will re-sign. The latter is possible but why even have teams bid on EK then?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think he's going to stay with the sens or get traded to vegas. I don't think we get him. If we were going to get him I think it would have happened already. Of course I have zero sources but this is just my gut feeling.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Im not convinced they are waiting for the trade deadline. They are either waiting for a team to up their offer, as they have a little time for a team to make that kind of decision. Or they think a possible sale is coming and EK will re-sign. The latter is possible but why even have teams bid on EK then?
i can't see him in ottawa to start the season unless he resigns with them if they sell the team

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Him still being in Ottawa is a best-case scenario for the Bolts. With each day closer to the TDL...all offers (including the Lightning's) go down... bit by bit... a little every day. Three weeks ago, when all of the rumors were running rampant, was the time we'd have given up the absolute most for him... each day that trade value is going down... Keep holding out for Sergachev... you'll be lucky to end up with Coburn by the TDL...lol

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think he's going to stay with the sens or get traded to vegas. I don't think we get him. If we were going to get him I think it would have happened already. Of course I have zero sources but this is just my gut feeling.
My gut feeling is all the other teams dropped out of the Karlsson race. Ottawa was hoping only to use us to up the bidding, but now we're the only ones still interested and they're cursing under their breath hoping things change.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
My gut feeling is all the other teams dropped out of the Karlsson race. Ottawa was hoping only to use us to up the bidding, but now we're the only ones still interested and they're cursing under their breath hoping things change.
I agree Dallas and Vegas are not stepping up there offers for karlsson.back then weeks ago the Ottawa gm used there media to try and drive up the price with there false rumors they leaked. Now Tampa probably still has the best offer on the table for karlsson and nobody is doing anything.

Reactions: Hoek

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Never thought of that possibility. I just want to get it over with if we really are trading for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad