Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Go home to your families. It would've happened by now if it was going to. Yzerman isn't gonna sit by the door all day and wait for master to come home like a dog. At this point he is going to prepare for every possible contingency by keeping his options open. I do not believe he is targeting Faulk -who has been openly speculated to be on the move for months now because once again.... it would've been done by now. He's a smokescreen at best. We will know Yzerman has pulled out of the Karlsson sweepstakes when he extends the rest of our UFA defensemen. Until that happens we are in. Watch for other moves not related to Karlsson

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's all good guys, Yzerman is patient. St.Louis, Drouin, Kucherov, we are still in it.
tumblr_inline_p9s1dzMyOb1rcvj2f_250.gif

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
ottawa is taking a risk because if the lightning start say extending guys like stralman and point thats puts them out. then say if Dallas makes other moves and goes after faulk or someone else that drops the bidding war for karlsson! so i'd start to get worried if I was there GM.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
ottawa is taking a risk because if the lightning start say extending guys like stralman and point thats puts them out. then say if Dallas makes other moves and goes after faulk or someone else that drops the bidding war for karlsson! so i'd start to get worried if I was there GM.

Why would extending Point put them out......? he'd be extended anyways. Extending Stralman doens't mean they're out either if Sergachev is going back the other way...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why would extending Point put them out......? he'd be extended anyways. Extending Stralman doens't mean they're out either if Sergachev is going back the other way...
Yeah - the only sign to me that we are out are a) EK traded to another team, or b) we make a trade for Faulk/Tanev/other piece that is expected to play beyond this season. If we take on a 5-6m player, we're clearly out of the running.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I disagree extending stralman means I think we are out on karlsson. ya I get it extending point would not mean anything.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yep, extending guys doesn't put us out a trade would.
I'd say it depends. If we extend Coburn, we're probably out (but I doubt we extend him either way). But I feel like we're going to try and bring Stralman back no matter what.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd say it depends. If we extend Coburn, we're probably out (but I doubt we extend him either way). But I feel like we're going to try and bring Stralman back no matter what.

I don't feel extending Coburn or Girardi are even a remote possibility, but yeah, extending them would mess things up

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stralman is the biggest question mark if we get EK. I'd love to bring him back, but it might depend on who we deal to get Karlsson and how much EK/Strals want. Stralman, Foote, Sergachev, and Cernak would all be capable somewhere on the right side behind EK. Cernak is the cheapest option going forwad if $$ is an issue. Unfortunately I think it's more likely he leaves.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We should extend Stralman regardless, keep a damn NTC off his contract and trade him or McDonagh as a contingent. But then again he is 32 and we're unlikely to give him term, he might just want to go to UFA and get a max contract.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We should extend Stralman regardless, keep a damn NTC off his contract and trade him or McDonagh as a contingent. But then again he is 32 and we're unlikely to give him term, he might just want to go to UFA and get a max contract.
Stability and (two) Swedes to patrol the blueline with may entice him...

It would be tough to offer him more than a 3 year deal, honestly. He's just at that age and decline comes fast. I don't think he's the type to completely fall off a cliff because so much of his game is brain-based, but it's always a risk re-signing a 32/33 year old player.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Stralman at a 3 year deal would be ideal. Stralman also seems like the type of guy who would be happy to stay and would take a team friendly hit to do it. He just overall seems like a nice and realistic guy. I am not suggesting he takes pennies, but I can totally see him taking the same money or barely a little more to stay and play here.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
If we get EK and Sergachev is the price, then I think we need Strålman.
If we get EK without having to give up Sergachev, then it would be more of a question but a vet would still be a good idea for the third pairing and he's the best of the vets going UFA.

If we don't get EK, then we certainly need Strålman for a bit longer. Though I think Sergachev is ready for full-time second pairing minutes/responsibilities, he needs a bit more seasoning before being top pair. Adding two RD and one LD rookie isn't the best idea when the team is trying for another cup run. Even if Foote or Cernak is ready for the NHL next season, they'll still need to be sheltered like Sergachev was for a while.

Not sure what the hell is happening with Dotchin. o_O

Stability has always been the most important thing for Strålman due to his family, so I could see him taking a fair $ for a 2 or 3 year extension even if he could get more as a FA. Plus, as Macho said, the chance to play with both Hedman and Karlsson would be enticing as well.

BTW, Stråls is only 31. ;) Won't be 32 until August 1st. Had no trouble playing the same TOI as the younger McDonagh throughout the end of the season and the playoffs and, imho, was defensively better than McD throughout. His game is one that shouldn't collapse nearly as quickly as Garrison's did.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You can give stralman a Ntc just don’t give him a NMC

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'd agree but I think gonshow is moving on from karlsson!
I agree as well but I'm over E.K at this point I'd rather keep Serg and not be screwed cap wise. Depends what Karlsson is willing to sign for or be traded for tho.

There hasn't been any talk about it in a while so I think stuff has died down and isn't happening till TDL

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I agree as well but I'm over E.K at this point I'd rather keep Serg and not be screwed cap wise. Depends what Karlsson is willing to sign for or be traded for tho.

There hasn't been any talk about it in a while so I think stuff has died down and isn't happening till TDL
Can't say I agree that I am done with EK but I'm down for whatever SY decides.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I disagree extending stralman means I think we are out on karlsson. ya I get it extending point would not mean anything.

It really doesn't mean that at all. Especially if the number is similar to what he's making now. The money we'd save is in eventually not paying Sergachev, assuming he's part of the deal. If we could land Karlsson without losing Sergachev (I just don't see how that happens), then we probably wouldn't be keeping Stralman.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You can give stralman a Ntc just don’t give him a NMC

Do you ever know the difference? It's practically the same thing, the expansion draft is the only thing that it really affects. We can't give him either if the plan is to move him before his deal is done. He will most likely reject any trade attempt if we give him a NTC. He needs nothing and to take a discount if he wants to stay.

I don't want to resign him anyway unless it's a real good price. He's a 2nd pair defender and his play has been trending downward. If we keep Foote he will be passing Stralman very soon maybe a season from now. Having a veteran presence on the 3rd pair is nice but not one making more than 2mil. He signs for that and we can keep him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Do you ever know the difference? It's practically the same thing, the expansion draft is the only thing that it really affects. We can't give him either if the plan is to move him before his deal is done. He will most likely reject any trade attempt if we give him a NTC. He needs nothing and to take a discount if he wants to stay.

I don't want to resign him anyway unless it's a real good price. He's a 2nd pair defender and his play has been trending downward. If we keep Foote he will be passing Stralman very soon maybe a season from now. Having a veteran presence on the 3rd pair is nice but not one making more than 2mil. He signs for that and we can keep him.
why flipper moved before the expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->