Post-Game Talk: Erik Karlsson: Zombie Hunter

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Can't stand some of Tip's post game interviews. He always says "we just weren't as desperate as the other team"... umm why are we not desperate?? Made the playoffs once out of the last 13 years, this team should be playing with desperation every night

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well...the team is much better (so far) than you thought it would be?
Am I right?

not in the areas I was worried about, no. The bottom six is a disaster, and if Draisaitl wasn’t on pace for 150 points it’d be a different story. Something has to give.

I admit I didn’t see the goaltending coming though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Can't stand some of Tip's post game interviews. He always says "we just weren't as desperate as the other team"... umm why are we not desperate?? Made the playoffs once out of the last 13 years, this team should be playing with desperation every night
They should be, but they're not robots. You're going to throw out some stinkers from time to time, and a team not used to winning is going to do it a bit more than a regular winner. I'd like to see a lot more consistency in their play though.

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
This team just can't win without Persson, not that he's all that great but he must do voodoo magic from the press box and make us lose whenever he isn't in the lineup

Reactions: Keggatron

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Odd comment considering the timing. Arguably the best player for us last night. Looked more relieved to just finally get a damned goal than anything else.

No, i disagree. he was not good last night. he happened to get a couple of nothing points. Had maybe one decent shift when the Sharks softened towards the end.

i thought he was actually kind of solid in a few games prior to him being in the press box. good effort and was sound. a nothing player but didn't hurt us. yesterday he was very lazy. drai just happened to score a fluke goal on a pass he received from gags and gags banked a heads up play in while the sharks were already thinking about the next game. the rest of the time he was below avg even for him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
not in the areas I was worried about, no. The bottom six is a disaster, and if Draisaitl wasn’t on pace for 150 points it’d be a different story. Something has to give.

I admit I didn’t see the goaltending coming though.

So you didnt see any of the real areas of improvement.
The vastly improved PP...the vastly improved PK....the vastly improved D zone play?

These are all the product of improved structure. You remember...structure...the thing that you said wouldnt make much of a difference. :nod:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So you didnt see any of the real areas of improvement.
The vastly improved PP...the vastly improved PK....the vastly improved D zone play?

These are all the product of improved structure. You remember...structure...the thing that you said wouldnt make much of a difference. :nod:

Again, it’s been 20 games. Less than a third of the Chiasson sample size we’re working with. You’re awfully quick to pat yourself on the back when you think you’re right, but very slow to adapt when you’re faced with something you don’t want to believe.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Again, it’s been 20 games. Less than a third of the Chiasson sample size we’re working with. You’re awfully quick to pat yourself on the back when you think you’re right, but very slow to adapt when you’re faced with something you don’t want to believe.

I am just acknowledging what has happened so far.

3/4's of the season left to go.
What I do know is that systems take time to embed so the players do it instinctively. The first 20 games are a very good sign and IMO unless something major (injury...etc) happens this team is making the playoffs.
Why do I say that...because they will get better as a team the more they learn and embrace the system.

You stay with the best bets (like Chiasson) when you have incorporated a major change like a new system.
Structure matters...it matters a lot and once some of the bottom 6 players and players like RNH embrace their roles the goals will come.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Garbage loss to a garbage team.

My disappointment in this one is that they hung Smith out to dry. He's been a huge reason for our success so far this season and they haven't played well enough in front of him as of late.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Reading this thread is making me anxious. A bunch of you guys keep saying that it's on the team for such a poor performance and a couple of guys wouldn't have done anything to change that. Well when was the last stinker game the Oilers played? St Louis game. Guess who was a healthy in that one? Persson. The guy makes a difference and we play a hell of a lot better with him in the lineup. For those saying well it was because the mom's were there and everyone needed to play, there are definitely others more worthy of sitting than Haas or Persson. The only game we looked good with Persson out of the lineup was the Philly game. All of the others we've looked like complete garbage, with losses to Minny, Winnipeg, Det, Fla, SJ and STL. 3 of which round out the bottom 6 in the league. But hey keep scratching him. He sures doesn't help the team win, and deserves some time to watch the game. Keep that dinosaur mentality that rooks deserve to be scratched over underperforming vets who shouldn't be in the league. And we looked a lot better as a team when Chiasson was injured and we actually had some guys who could skate in the lineup. Trying to get him to "come around" and gifting him opportunity after opportunity is a waste of time and should rightly go to others, who knows maybe someone surprises us.

Reactions: Hynh and T-Funk

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Could just be he's plain out of options too. Not much there down the right side after Kassian - whos hit and miss - and if the directive is to overpercolate the likes of Benson and Yamamoto...who the heck else does he play on the 2nd line?

When earlier said Chiasson and Neal doesnt have chemistry. Who to play? *deep breath* Nygård, Haas, Khira, try Archibald, try Granlund once?
Its not like he is out of options. He is just a moron.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This is HF. The only sample that matters is the most recent 2 games.

OfC there will be losses. Its not that the team are junk. The thing here is that Persson brings an element to the team, that really helps the team win, and the numbers really back that up too. But Tippet is Tippet.
ANd Chiasson was before his 40 game streak last season,at highest a 4th line forward. Its not like he is just having a down year. THIS is the player he is. Last year shootingprocent was a careerpeak. OF just 20 poor goals... as a PEAK.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32

A6613538-DB01-4D0E-8495-2126048F0309.jpeg

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Disagree. That was the perfect time to give them some rest, the team just didn't have it and Tippett knew it.
I like that Tippett is cutting down their minutes a bit lately. There's no point in burning them out in a game that was a lost cause.

I suppose I don't agree with conceding games are lost causes until the buzzer rings.
We've seen plenty of comebacks this year league wide, and with decent time left in the third, I'm not in agreement with relinquishing 2 points when there's a chance (however slim).
Two goal and yes three goal leads are not what they used to be. Albeit, our performance hardly gave me confidence it would be overcome

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When earlier said Chiasson and Neal doesnt have chemistry. Who to play? *deep breath* Nygård, Haas, Khira, try Archibald, try Granlund once?
Its not like he is out of options. He is just a moron.

Khaira and Granlund have been horrific. Archibald and Nygard hurt recently. Haas - sure.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Its not like he is out of options. He is just a moran.

... Really? No credit for the coach that has the team currently on top of the Pacific instead of floundering as most of us expected? He's not perfect but I really think Tippett, at the very least, has earned the benefit of the doubt so far. I like how he's got the breakout looking and I like the PK. Team defence comes and goes as it has since 16-17 but isn't bad, but frankly cutting down on the constant dump ins is enough for me.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
The point being that Jurco has no history of scoring at the NHL .
None.

I totally understand why Tippett is allowing Chiasson to work his way out of this with the other options available.
Espcially considering that Chiasson is 29 years old and actually has a history of scoring.
Its a good bet and with all due respect Chaotic...the comparison with Lucic is silly.
Chiasson has a lot more puck sense than Milan Lucic.
I just think Chaisson is playing himself into a 4th line/pressbox role for this team. He's been better than jurco, and nothing needs to be said about Lucic.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
... Really? No credit for the coach that has the team currently on top of the Pacific instead of floundering as most of us expected? He's not perfect but I really think Tippett, at the very least, has earned the benefit of the doubt so far. I like how he's got the breakout looking and I like the PK. Team defence comes and goes as it has since 16-17 but isn't bad, but frankly cutting down on the constant dump ins is enough for me.

aaagh, wrote a whole load of text, and then when i wanted to post, it disconnected. All text gone.

But in the short;
Tippet has made wonders with the team, esp with the good players and PK.
But sometimes shoot himself in the foot with benching wrong people.

The love for some players is out of understanding.
Chiasson, Granlund, Khaira has a longer leash. For the last two, I guess cause of PK. They must be fundamental parts of the Tippet masterplan.

And I hope the Oilers org not going oliers org with haas again, like they did with Slepyshev, Puljujärvi,

Bencing people when they start playing good, ofC they will go, and search for a better place to be, when they will be appriceated for their talent by people. If you live for hockey, you want to play, not sit. I hope tippet doesnt make Haas leave the NHL. I Really hope Tippet want him to learn some specific things in the curse of beliveing in him as a forthcoming good player.

Geatan haas it all over Chiasson. Hockeysenses, skating, speed, passing, backchecking, goalscoring, defense. Chiasson has... being BIG.
BIg big big big BIG.

And that what it makes it go round for Tippet.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
aaagh, wrote a whole load of text, and then when i wanted to post, it disconnected. All text gone.

But in the short;
Tippet has made wonders with the team, esp with the good players and PK.
But sometimes shoot himself in the foot with benching wrong people.

The love for some players is out of understanding.
Chiasson, Granlund, Khaira has a longer leash. For the last two, I guess cause of PK. They must be fundamental parts of the Tippet masterplan.

And I hope the Oilers org not going oliers org with haas again, like they did with Slepyshev, Puljujärvi,

Bencing people when they start playing good, ofC they will go, and search for a better place to be, when they will be appriceated for their talent by people. If you live for hockey, you want to play, not sit. I hope tippet doesnt make Haas leave the NHL. I Really hope Tippet want him to learn some specific things in the curse of beliveing in him as a forthcoming good player.

Geatan haas it all over Chiasson. Hockeysenses, skating, speed, passing, backchecking, goalscoring, defense. Chiasson has... being BIG.
BIg big big big BIG.

And that what it makes it go round for Tippet.

Sure, he's not perfect and I don't love his benching choices sometimes myself. I just think it's unwarranted to call him a moron given the results so far.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I want a line of Khaira Sheahan Granlund. So we are sure they dont affect other peoples production.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just think Chaisson is playing himself into a 4th line/pressbox role for this team. He's been better than jurco, and nothing needs to be said about Lucic.

Chiasson has to be better thats for sure. I think he will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad