Post-Game Talk: Erik Karlsson: Zombie Hunter

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Regardless of lines, that was an embarrassing game and hopefully their mom's spanked them for their poor performance. Part of it was probably lines and out partying with the moms which Gene then took advantage of. I hope they're all embarrassed because 6 goals against is terrible and if they bring the suck like they did to San Jose then Avs will steamroll them. Put the lines back and Koskinen in net.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So Chiasson is 20 games removed from a 22 goal season and now he is junk?

From a production standpoint Chiasson's been pretty junky since the new year.

He has 3 even strength goals in his last 59 games (since Jan 1).

For reference, Colby Cave has 3 in his last 40, plays 11 minutes a night to Chiasson's 16:30 average, and has been sent down to the minors twice now.

Lucic had 4 in his last 40 as an Oiler.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Who knows? Could be part of the reason they didn't show up.

If your coach breaks up a winning lineup to put in some clearly worse players for a completely non-game related reason, that might take some wind out of your sails.

Are they really “clearly worse”

SS was one of the only forwards to have any kind of positive impact and Nygard before getting hurt was our best bottom six forward.

well I guess Manning is clearly worse but he only played half the game lol

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
He has 4 even strength goals in his last 62 games.

Believing he was a 20 goal player is why they're now stuck with that useless player and terrible contract.

Very few if any believed Chiasson is a bonafide 20 goal scorer and it been almost unanimously believed here that a repeat of that production is not going to happen.

The contract may not be great but its far far far down the list of issues on the team. He's overpaid by about 500k but the contract is below league average and is gone in 1.75 seasons. Chiasson will be very moveable in the summer if we really need to cut ties then

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Get Gagner off this team. He's not an NHL player. Loser attitude and his poor effort is showing again. Saw too many of those embarrassing cellies in the pre Connor era. Guys like Hall, Schultz, Gags, Yak, Ebs etc cellying hard when they score a milestone goal (20th of season or something) or hit a salary bonus even though they're getting their a$$es whopped 7-2. Frigging embarrassing and selfish.
Odd comment considering the timing. Arguably the best player for us last night. Looked more relieved to just finally get a damned goal than anything else.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is HF. The only sample that matters is the most recent 2 games.

To be fair, it's more like 70 games since he scored most of those though.

From a production standpoint Chiasson's been pretty junky since the new year.

He has 3 even strength goals in his last 59 games (since Jan 1).

For reference, Colby Cave has 3 in his last 40, plays 11 minutes a night to Chiasson's 16:30 average, and has been sent down to the minors twice now.

Lucic had 4 in his last 40 as an Oiler.

The point being that Jurco has no history of scoring at the NHL .
None.

I totally understand why Tippett is allowing Chiasson to work his way out of this with the other options available.
Espcially considering that Chiasson is 29 years old and actually has a history of scoring.
Its a good bet and with all due respect Chaotic...the comparison with Lucic is silly.
Chiasson has a lot more puck sense than Milan Lucic.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He has 4 even strength goals in his last 62 games.

Believing he was a 20 goal player is why they're now stuck with that useless player and terrible contract.

As I said earlier...Chiasson is 29 years old and has a history of scoring.
Considering the other options I support Tippett in this decision.

Its the best bet he has at this point in time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The point being that Jurco has no history of scoring at the NHL .
None.

I totally understand why Tippett is allowing Chiasson to work his way out of this with the other options available.
Espcially considering that Chiasson is 29 years old and actually has a history of scoring.
Its a good bet and with all due respect Chaotic...the comparison with Lucic is silly.
Chiasson has a lot more puck sense than Milan Lucic.

not a lot more goals, though, and goals matter.

Over his history he’s about a 12 goal guy. Regression to the mean is what we’re seeing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
not a lot more goals, though, and goals matter.

Over his history he’s about a 12 goal guy. Regression to the mean is what we’re seeing.

12 goals is fine for a bottom 6 player...its not an unrealistic projection at this point in time.

So Jurco is a better bet?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
12 goals is fine for a bottom 6 player...its not an unrealistic projection at this point in time.

the post I replied to didn’t reference Jurco at all, but no he’s not. Benson or Yamamoto might be, and Chiasson is being utilized like a 2nd line forward, which he definitively is not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the post I replied to didn’t reference Jurco at all, but no he’s not. Benson or Yamamoto might be, and Chiasson is being utilized like a 2nd line forward, which he definitively is not.

Yamamoto isnt ready for the NHL.

No rush on Benson IMO.
Too soon to give up on Chiasson. Its takes longer for some player to adapt to a new system and a new role.
We are 20 games into the season. If he is still struggling by CHristmas then I would consider options.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yamamoto isnt ready for the NHL.

No rush on Benson IMO.
Too soon to give up on Chiasson. Its takes longer for some player to adapt to a new system and a new role.
We are 20 games into the season. If he is still struggling by CHristmas then I would consider options.

Yamamoto is doing a ton of little things right in the AHL, it’s more than just points with him. Drawing a ton of penalties and generating shots, as well as playing well defensively.

as I’ve said, Chiasson’s struggles go beyond this year, we have almost a 60 game sample size now. The guy just isn’t a top six forward. He never has been, and guys don’t magically become them at 28. He’s fine in a 3rd or 4th line role, but that’s not where he’s playing or what we need.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Is this Mom's trip over yet?

Eakins would have banned this on a roster that revolves like a merry-go-r0und.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yamamoto is doing a ton of little things right in the AHL, it’s more than just points with him. Drawing a ton of penalties and generating shots, as well as playing well defensively.

as I’ve said, Chiasson’s struggles go beyond this year, we have almost a 60 game sample size now. The guy just isn’t a top six forward. He never has been, and guys don’t magically become them at 28. He’s fine in a 3rd or 4th line role, but that’s not where he’s playing or what we need.

New coach....new system...new start.
That was my approach for the team and I think that Chiasson deserves the same approach.

I remember arguing with you about waiting to see how the team plays instead of assuming it will fail.
:nod:

I am skeptical of Yamamoto being able to do the same thing in the NHL that he has started to do in the AHL.
Not saying he cant...just that I need to see it as opposed to assuming that he will be able to transition.
I think he is better served attempting that after a season of doing it in the AHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
New coach....new system...new start.
That was my approach for the team and I think that Chiasson deserves the same approach.

I remember arguing with you about waiting to see how the team plays instead of assuming it will fail.
:nod:

I am skeptical of Yamamoto being able to do the same thing in the NHL that he has started to do in the AHL.
Not saying he cant...just that I need to see it as opposed to assuming that he will be able to transition.
I think he is better served attempting that after a season of doing it in the AHL.

so you’re willing to claim victory based on a 20 game sample size but unwilling to admit Chiasson isn’t a top six forward based on a 60 game sample size? ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
so you’re willing to claim victory based on a 20 game sample size but unwilling to admit Chiasson isn’t a top six forward based on a 60 game sample size? ;)

Well...the team is much better (so far) than you thought it would be?
Am I right?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

True, but he seems to have been spending a lot of time on the 2nd line.

Because he scored 22 last year, which was the only year in his career he has ever even come close to 20, certainly does not make him a 20 goal scorer, nor should the expectation be such. He had an out of body experience for the first 2-3 months, while having the great fortune of playing with McDavid. Once the shooting % dropped to normal levels, and he was moved down the lineup, the production all but dried up. He is reverting to the mean this year, which will likely be between 8-12 goals. I like him personally, very thoughtful and engaging interview. While we can disagree as to his value to the team and contract, I will agree with you as to the lack of any other viable options that Tippet has. IMO, he is nothing more than a stopgap until something else comes along either through trade or development.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->