Erik Karlsson vs. David Rundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't believe it is a fair comparison to use Karlsson's best season in the SEL vs. Rundblad's. Karlsson last season in the SEL was as an 18 year old, whereas Rundblad's was as a 20 year old. How many points did Rundblad put up as an 18 year old?

All that being said, I don't give a rat's ass who's gonna be better as long as they both kick ass as Sens for years to come!!!

Who is comparing those seasons? They shouldn't be, anyway.

In their relative most recent seasons in the SEL (Karlsson's last SEL season) Karlsson had 10 points in 45 games, and Rundblad had 13 points in 47 games.

Karlsson then went on to put up 26 in 60 in the NHL and 11 in 12 in the AHL the following season. Rundblad put up 50 in 55 in the SEL the following season.

Karlsson followed THAT season up with a 45 point NHL season (75 games.) We'll see what Rundblad can accomplish, but I doubt he gets the same amount of ice-time as the team will be considerably better (and especially crowded on the blue-line.) What can be said is that they've both continually improved.

I just think that because of the way that Rundblad plays the game, and his size, that he will become the better all-around defenceman.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I would say Karlsson will have a more consistent career while Rundblad could be a Rollercoaster.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Karlsson - Needs to improve his defensive zone play.

Rundblad - Needs to actually play a single NHL game.

Manny*

I hope they become our Suter/Weber, sparking endless debates about which is better.

Karlsson has had games that left me thinking: "this kid is too good for the NHL."
The way he was playing down the stretch, I really think he would've hit 50 points had he not gotten cut. I know it's been said before, but it's not like he was playing on a good team, either. Spezza was really our only offensive threat besides Karlsson.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Karlsson is to Letang as Rundblad is to Goligoski

or an example that still applies

Karlsson is to Visnovsky as Rundblad is to Fowler

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

or an example that still applies

loool have you seen Letang's slap shot? he can seriously work on accuracy.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
loool have you seen Letang's slap shot? he can seriously work on accuracy.

They are both dynamic d-men with great skating ability. Letang is the better d-man so I don;t know why you want to criticize his slap shot accuracy here. But yes Karlsson does have a better shot, in that sense he could be like Weber and Rundblad could be like Suter, but Rundblad is not nearly as good defensively as a Suter.

Rundblad is to Fowler because both are dynamic d-men, but they are gonna be playing second fiddle on their team (in Fowler's case he will be #1 when Lubo is gone), an they are both not amazing yet not too terrible in their own end.

How about: Karlsson is to Doughty as Rundblad is to Jack Johnson

His Beardliness*

They are both dynamic d-men with great skating ability. Letang is the better d-man so I don;t know why you want to criticize his slap shot accuracy here. But yes Karlsson does have a better shot, in that sense he could be like Weber and Rundblad could be like Suter, but Rundblad is not nearly as good defensively as a Suter.

Rundblad is to Fowler because both are dynamic d-men, but they are gonna be playing second fiddle on their team (in Fowler's case he will be #1 when Lubo is gone), an they are both not amazing yet not too terrible in their own end.

Karlsson is to Bobby Orr as Rundblad is to Bobby Orr's clone.

Kershaw

Karlsson is nowhere near Doughty. That's pretty much an insult to Doughty. They are both the same age, but Doughty is leagues better. Karlsson is similar to Gonchar, not sure about Rundblad since I've never seen him play.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Karlsson is nowhere near Doughty. That's pretty much an insult to Doughty. They are both the same age, but Doughty is leagues better. Karlsson is similar to Gonchar, not sure about Rundblad since I've never seen him play.

actually, Karlsson is basically the Swedish version of Duncan Keith, both are just so eerily similar out there; Keith is slightly bigger, more physical, and better defensively-while Karlsson has a quicker first step, and an even harder shot.

Kershaw

actually, Karlsson is basically the Swedish clone of Duncan Keith, both are just so eerily similar out there; Keith is slightly bigger, more physical, and better defensively-while Karlsson has a quicker first step, and an even harder shot.

Lol.

Until Karlsson wins a Norris, plays as a #1 on a SC winner, plays on a stacked Olympic team and leads defenseman in ice time, he should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Keith.

If Karlsson is Keith, Doughty is Orr??

tubby

May 23, 2011

But yes Karlsson does have a better shot, in that sense he could be like Weber and Rundblad could be like Suter, but Rundblad is not nearly as good defensively as a Suter.

Let's settle down on the comparisons there ;)

Anyways, I think this thread is a bit premature. Rundblad not having played an NHL game and all. Nevertheless, they are pretty similar players in that their defensive game could improve(positioning and strength for Karlsson, Rundblad I haven't seen enough of to comment on), but it seems as though they will both have a bright offensive future in the NHL.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Lol.

Until Karlsson wins a Norris, plays as a #1 on a SC winner, plays on a stacked Olympic team and leads defenseman in ice time, he should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Keith.

If Karlsson is Keith, Doughty is Orr??

I'm not talking about his accomplishments so far, only the way both players play.

I've watched a ton of Hawks and Sens games throughout the years(my two favourite teams), and at times....I thought I was watching the same player out there when it came to Keith and Karlsson. Both play almost the same game, and Karlsson will be given every opportunity to become close to what Keith is today.

Keith is the best comparable player to Karlsson.

...heck just watch both of them move up the ice with the puck, or QB a PP, or catch up to a guy on a breakaway from all the way back in the offensive zone. there just freakishly a like.

Last edited:

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Let's settle down on the comparisons there ;)

Anyways, I think this thread is a bit premature. Rundblad not having played an NHL game and all. Nevertheless, they are pretty similar players in that their defensive game could improve(positioning and strength for Karlsson, Rundblad I haven't seen enough of to comment on), but it seems as though they will both have a bright offensive future in the NHL.

It wasn't these people are this good right now. It was Karlsson has proven something at the NHL level, the other might be better, but has yet to done anything to date. No one said they are as good. People really need to calm down.

AidanPhalen13*

I hope they become our Suter/Weber, sparking endless debates about which is better.

Karlsson has had games that left me thinking: "this kid is too good for the NHL."
The way he was playing down the stretch, I really think he would've hit 50 points had he not gotten cut. I know it's been said before, but it's not like he was playing on a good team, either. Spezza was really our only offensive threat besides Karlsson.

You are right, he is waaaay to good for the NHL he should be In the next highest league. Oh, i forgot there is none so i guess he is stuck in the NHL. I feel sorry for him, he has too much skill to be rotting in the NHL. Oh well, guess he will just have to live with it.

Manny*

You are right, he is waaaay to good for the NHL he should be In the next highest league. Oh, i forgot there is none so i guess he is stuck in the NHL. I feel sorry for him, he has too much skill to be rotting in the NHL. Oh well, guess he will just have to live with it.

You're full of mad, bro.

Kershaw

I'm not talking about his accomplishments so far, only the way both players play.

I've watched a ton of Hawks and Sens games throughout the years(my two favourite teams), and at times....I thought I was watching the same player out there when it came to Keith and Karlsson. Both play almost the same game, and Karlsson will be given every opportunity to become close to what Keith is today.

Keith is the best comparable player to Karlsson.

...heck just watch both of them move up the ice with the puck, or QB a PP, or catch up to a guy on a breakaway from all the way back in the offensive zone. there just freakishly a like.

Keith has much better mobility and is a much smarter player than Karlsson. He is also one of the best shutdown defenseman in the game, and I strongly doubt Karlsson will come even remotely close to that. He wore the green jacket last year and is poor defensively at the moment. He's a very good PMD, but his defense has way too many deficiencies at the moment. Kaberle-lite or Pitkanen-lite.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Keith has much better mobility and is a much smarter player than Karlsson. He is also one of the best shutdown defenseman in the game, and I strongly doubt Karlsson will come even remotely close to that. He wore the green jacket last year and is poor defensively at the moment. He's a very good PMD, but his defense has way too many deficiencies at the moment. Kaberle-lite or Pitkanen-lite.

your wrong about the mobility part, Karlsson is one of the quickest players in the game today. Anyone who has actually followed him close enough can tell you he is well on his way to becoming a premier d-man in this league

For Example; Here is former NHL defenseman Jason York's take of the kid

Jason York's take:

Quote:
Erik Karlsson, who is a confident guy to begin with, started playing after the all-star break this season with even more swagger and brought his game offensively to the next level.

Karlsson is not a complete player right now. His defensive game needs some polishing, as at times he's a defensive liability. You don't need an expert to know that Karlsson needs to put on size and strength, but right now in the NHL there is not a more dynamic and exciting defenceman in the league, and for the age Karlsson is at, the sky is the limit.

From a standstill, I don't think there is a quicker defenceman off the mark than Karlsson, with maybe the exception of Duncan Keith, who is obviously a better all-around player at this time.

But as far as pure skill and puck control go, he's not in Karlsson's league. Drew Doughty and Dan Boyle, because of experience, know how to pick their spots to join the rush a little better, but Karlsson's dashes are quickly becoming more thoughtful and precise.

Nicklas Lidstrom is the NHL's version of Einstein as far as hockey sense goes, but Karlsson, in time, will learn from his mistakes and make better reads.

Defence is the hardest position to play in the league. It is especially difficult when you play the game trying to be a difference-maker offensively on a nightly basis like Karlsson does. Karlsson is playing now like a guy who wants to be the difference in the game and you have to admire a young player who wants to be the one who decides a game and who is not afraid to make a mistake.

Kershaw

There is a difference between quickness and mobility. Pronger isn't the faster guy, but has the best mobility in the league. I'm sorry you're overrating Karlsson if you think he's going to be the same player as Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad