Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He surely will go to ufa so he can play where he wants to. Welcome to Tampa Erik!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He can still take an 8 year offer from San Jose after talking with other teams during the last week of June.
And I agree that that is definitely a possibility. I just don’t know how much stock I’d put into one week of promises when you’re as good as EK.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
It's incredibly rare for an upcoming UFA to sign an 8 year contract this close to free agency. In fact, it's never happened.

When you get this close, you don't give up the chance to see what's out there. Karlsson will be no different.

He might always go back to SJ, but he'll do it in July.
Stamkos signed 2 days before he was to become a FA.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Stamkos signed 2 days before he was to become a FA.
I think that is what he meant. Basically if I'm understanding right (and correct me if I'm wrong) EK will wait and use that week period where he can talk to other teams. If he doesn't like what he sees, then he will resign for the 8th year but if he does, then who knows. Basically what Stamkos and Tavares both did.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Another innacurate lazy post about the sens. Hard to look at things objectively through those teal glasses i guess.

If you actually dont think losing players like Joe Thornton doesnt matter in the room just proves again you are new to the sport.

Yeah, you keep saying this and it seems to be the only thing you can say. And it’s already been proven wrong by the fact that I literally joined this f***ing forum in 2012.

If losing Joe Thornton is going to seriously hurt the team, why didn’t it hurt when they lost Patrick Marleau?

It's incredibly rare for an upcoming UFA to sign an 8 year contract this close to free agency. In fact, it's never happened.

When you get this close, you don't give up the chance to see what's out there. Karlsson will be no different.

He might always go back to SJ, but he'll do it in July.

When is the last time a superstar UFA was acquired by a team who had clear intentions of offering him 8 years, but couldn’t until after the deadline? It’s an extremely rare and unprecedented situation as a whole.

It would be like saying “a man named Erik Karlsson who plays defense has never signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks before”. Well, yeah, but that kind of situation has never occurred before, so it doesn’t mean shit. :laugh:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
3 days before the trade deadline and the biggest UFA by far is getting ZERO attention....

I don't understand why this is soooo different than it was with Stamkos and Tavares (and Karlsson is a better/more valuable player than both were).

At the TDL when Tavares and Stamkos were unsigned - all the focus was on them, and would they be traded, or kept, etc. Why is none of this happening with Karlsson? I understand San Jose wants to resign him but they haven't yet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
3 days before the trade deadline and the biggest UFA by far is getting ZERO attention....

I don't understand why this is soooo different than it was with Stamkos and Tavares (and Karlsson is a better/more valuable player than both were).

At the TDL when Tavares and Stamkos were unsigned - all the focus was on them, and would they be traded, or kept, etc. Why is none of this happening with Karlsson? I understand San Jose wants to resign him but they haven't yet.
Don’t remember Stamkos having much attention. EK is on a contending team. Tavares wasn’t.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Because they have to wait to be able to extend him for the max term, and there's zero question the Sharks won't attempt to move him.

I think he'll probably test the UFA market and then resign in SJ.

Reactions: Gecklund

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Karlsson can not sign for 8 years until after the trade deadline. San Jose will keep him and attempt to sign him for 8 years once he is eligible. That is why nobody is talking about it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Shouldnt he have signed by now...

Does this mean he is walking?
Not necessarily. This is a player on a team that is focused on the playoff run. DW said that he’s confident on him resigning but they are focused on the playoff run. I think that means one of two things. The first is that EK wants to see what’s out there during the 5 day period. The second is that they already have the framework in place and they are waiting to announce it until they are out of the playoffs as sort of good news when they are knocked out.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He’ll stay in SJ unless the Sharks don’t want him.

Karlsson and his wife hate change apparently, and they love the city.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
With the recurring injuries, I'd let him walk. He's a fantastic player but I guarantee by years 5,6,7,8 he's an absolute cap blackhole. People think Seabrook is bad wait until the injuries catch up to Erik. The Sharks played a huge price to get him and if they win a cup it was worth it, but I really think it's going to be dangerous signing him longterm.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With the recurring injuries, I'd let him walk. He's a fantastic player but I guarantee by years 5,6,7,8 he's an absolute cap blackhole. People think Seabrook is bad wait until the injuries catch up to Erik. The Sharks played a huge price to get him and if they win a cup it was worth it, but I really think it's going to be dangerous signing him longterm.
Seabrook is an awful comparison when EK is much better than Seabrook ever was and they are entirely different players.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

It's fine. If he begins to suck we'll have him and Melker do the fusion dance. It'll eliminate his caphit.

Reactions: slocal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->