Erik Karlsson says the Senators would have still traded him even if he re-signed with them

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
If they truly wanted to trade Karlsson “anyway”, as Karlsson states, then why did they trade Hoffman in a desperate manner? They traded Hoffman in hopes Karlsson would sign, they got rid of a guy that supposedly pissed him off.

Then Hoffman becomes the reason the captain was traded. He had to go regardless.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If they truly wanted to trade Karlsson “anyway”, as Karlsson states, then why did they trade Hoffman in a desperate manner? They traded Hoffman in hopes Karlsson would sign, they got rid of a guy that supposedly pissed him off.

Hoffman had to go regardless. There'd be a residual effect in that locker room

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Then Hoffman becomes the reason the captain was traded. He had to go regardless.

If they were set on trading Karlsson, then don’t you think they trade him before the whole Hoffman-Karlsson story became public?

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
If they were set on trading Karlsson, then don’t you think they trade him before the whole Hoffman-Karlsson story became public?

It's entirely possible, yeah. But it would have been real easy for the media to spin it that way, and that could fracture a dressing room. Not that it wasn't already.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
It's entirely possible, yeah. But it would have been real easy for the media to spin it that way, and that could fracture a dressing room. Not that it wasn't already.

Basically it seems like all parties were aggravated, and everyone was partly to blame. Melnyk and Dorion/Boucher couldn’t control the room. Also, the dressing room didn’t seem shocked or saddened by the Karlsson trade. I think they’re was a click going on, and they all got traded. When Turris and Phaneuf got treaded, the media reported that Karlsson was upset.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Basically it seems like all parties were aggravated, and everyone was partly to blame. Melnyk and Dorion/Boucher couldn’t control the room. Also, the dressing room didn’t seem shocked or saddened by the Karlsson trade. I think they’re was a click going on, and they all got traded. Turris, Phaneuf, and Karlsson.

That's a whole lot of dots being connected using nothing but imagination.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
That's a whole lot of dots being connected using nothing but imagination.

Not if you’ve been reading/listening the media. Regardless, the NHL needs to force Melnyk to sell the team, the team’s failure ultimately falls on him. A good owner would address the drama immediately, instead he let it persist.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You quote me, but don't say anything to maaco right above me. What is wrong with you, man? I'm allowed to voice my displeasure in a Karlsson thread.

And he's allowed to voice his displeasure about your displeasure

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
If I was getting paid the money these guys get paid I would live with it. I think they get pampered enough as it is.
Just because you would live with it, doesn't really explain why those players should not be allowed to negotiate them. Why should they not be allowed? Especially when you're talking about players that may take a lower salary for that right.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Just because you would live with it, doesn't really explain why those players should not be allowed to negotiate them. Why should they not be allowed? Especially when you're talking about players that may take a lower salary for that right.

They get pampered enough as it is.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm confused, I thought they hadn't spoken in like a year? If he knew they wanted to sign and trade him way back when, then obviously it was his choice not to continue wasting his time talking to Dorion et al. Not offering a NTC is pretty ****ing obvious if the plan was to sign and trade, isn't it???

This seems like a pointless tidbit, tbh...more fuel for the fire though right? More useless sens news for clicks!

This is my view as well. You can't really complain about what wasn't offered when there was no serious negotiating.

Reactions: North Cole

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
They get pampered enough as it is.
So you think they make a lot of money therefore they should not be allowed to negotiate those things? That makes no sense.

Further, if they can't negotiate those, you better be prepared for them to demand max contract they can get every time.

If teams aren't allowed to show them loyalty by giving them that right, why should players show any loyalty in return. Right? Highest bidder every time. Just rape the teams for as much money as you can. Might as well. You have no idea who will be paying you that money, so no discounts to the home team.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So, essentially, if you come on the cheap, you get a NTC.
If you're going to be expensive, we need the flexibiity to trade you as soon as you are.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
So you think they make a lot of money therefore they should not be allowed to negotiate those things? That makes no sense.

Further, if they can't negotiate those, you better be prepared for them to demand max contract they can get every time.

If teams aren't allowed to show them loyalty by giving them that right, why should players show any loyalty in return. Right? Highest bidder every time. Just rape the teams for as much money as you can. Might as well. You have no idea who will be paying you that money, so no discounts to the home team.

Why don't these union guys care about the players who don't "deserve" NTC's? I'm not a fan of elitism.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Why don't these union guys care about the players who don't "deserve" NTC's? I'm not a fan of elitism.
Huh?

If 2nd or 3rd line players want to give up some $$ for NTCs that's their prerogative.

But again, you've ignored my point. If players can't negotiate NTCs why would they ever take a discount to stay somewhere? They essentially have no say who they are giving that discount to. Therefore you have to be okay with them going for every dollar they can get come contract time

SENSARMY18

Sep 26, 2018
I'm glad to see that the support for the team remains fairly high, agree or not with management we are still sens fans and love our team :). I think it'll be a good year, better than most expect. Good on everyone filling those seats and supporting our team.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Huh?

If 2nd or 3rd line players want to give up some $$ for NTCs that's their prerogative.

But again, you've ignored my point. If players can't negotiate NTCs why would they ever take a discount to stay somewhere? They essentially have no say who they are giving that discount to. Therefore you have to be okay with them going for every dollar they can get come contract time

On the contrary, it is you who is ignoring my point.

btw, I have made no mention about discounts or going for dollars, you are ignoring my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad