Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
im curious as to if we could have re-signed Nyquist for the contract he got from C-bus. He really seemed to like it here and i think he would fit much better in Boughner’s system than Pete’s. If we’re talking about adding Dadanov who will cost more being that he’s better, has no ties to the sharks, and will be one of the top forwards in the class then maybe we should have kept Gus for 4/5.5AAV

I would really have like Nyquist on this roster. But I am curious going forward what DW is looking to do. I am curious what type of contracts Dadanov and Kreider end up getting. Also, if we could land only one of them, I wonder who the better choice would be.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I would really have like Nyquist on this roster. But I am curious going forward what DW is looking to do. I am curious what type of contracts Dadanov and Kreider end up getting. Also, if we could land only one of them, I wonder who the better choice would be.

Dadanov fits more of what we need. He’s a reliable goal scoring winger that has scored 28 goals per season the last two years and is on pace for 36 this year. I think Kreider is too inconsistent.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Dadanov fits more of what we need. He’s a reliable goal scoring winger that has scored 28 goals per season the last two years and is on pace for 36 this year. I think Kreider is too inconsistent.

We need more playmakers then goal scorers. The best playmaker on the team is karlsson followed by a 40 year old thornton. And then when ever he feels like playing hockey labanc shows up, which isn't actually that often. Then nobody.

For goal scorers we have couture, hertl, meier, kane.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Even though he was only here for 20 games+playoffs, I thought Gus was the biggest loss of talent in the off-season. This team lacks playmakers, and given our top four forwards are goalscorers (Hertl is a hybrid) someone who can gain the zone, hold the puck and make the right pass are seriously lacking.

I wish we'd have moved Dillon+Melker to keep Gus (especially if he'd taken 5 here)

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We need more playmakers then goal scorers. The best playmaker on the team is karlsson followed by a 40 year old thornton. And then when ever he feels like playing hockey labanc shows up, which isn't actually that often. Then nobody.

For goal scorers we have couture, hertl, meier, kane.
You know who were playmakers.

Donskoi and Nyquist.

Jan Smite

May 7, 2019
Reee but Donskoi didnt score a goal for over a month, Bench him for Haley!

It was crazy how underused Donskoi was. People here thinking he's a goal scorer (he's not, he was always a playmaker and hustler). DeBoer never used him in PPs either but LaBanc was the best thing since sliced bread with his "vision". I do agree he's not big enough to handle teams like St Louis and Vegas though, and gets hurt too often, but boy I would love to have him in team this season...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Kinda looking back on PDB's career and I'm not sure I can really think of more than one or two guys on any of his teams that we're featured playmakers. I wonder if he just doesn't value that skillset very much.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It was crazy how underused Donskoi was. People here thinking he's a goal scorer (he's not, he was always a playmaker and hustler). DeBoer never used him in PPs either but LaBanc was the best thing since sliced bread with his "vision". I do agree he's not big enough to handle teams like St Louis and Vegas though, and gets hurt too often, but boy I would love to have him in team this season...

You are going to be hard pressed to find many, if any, people here who think that.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even barring that ridiculous goal drought, he had a career high in points and goals that year.
Donskoi is the streakiest player I’ve ever seen. He’ll go on a tear and then he’ll have 2 points over the next 20 games. This year he started out great with Colorado, now he’s sliding back into inconsistency or fatigue. He’s probably going to get a career high in points, but he’s not gonna blow past it. He’s a weird player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Donskoi is the streakiest player I’ve ever seen. He’ll go on a tear and then he’ll have 2 points over the next 20 games. This year he started out great with Colorado, now he’s sliding back into inconsistency or fatigue. He’s probably going to get a career high in points, but he’s not gonna blow past it. He’s a weird player.

I think its a lot to do with conditioning/fatigue. I remember when I saw him early last season I noticed that he looked stronger on his skates and was a lot tougher to knock off. But as the season went, he devolved into his older version.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
People forget that Meier was known as more of a playmaker.

Anyhow, Donskoi or Nyquists' playmaking is missed, but ideally you'd like someone who is a good playmaker who can also play in the rough areas (like Clowe, Havlat, Michalek, Heatley).

Reactions: Phu

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Kinda looking back on PDB's career and I'm not sure I can really think of more than one or two guys on any of his teams that we're featured playmakers. I wonder if he just doesn't value that skillset very much.

I'm getting flashbacks to last playoffs when they'd be losing big, PDB shuffled lines (aka banished Donskoi or Nyquist to the 4th line), and the 4th line would show a spark because they were a clear mismatch for their counterparts. But PDB rarely saw that as his eureka moment and went back to his reliable card the next game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't entirely know what to make of it, Karlsson frankly looks better as a Shark according to most of these stats than he did as a Senator.

Its the same thing that gets said for all mega stars going to a team that is stacked (no i am not saying the sharks are or have been a stacked team, but compared to those ottawa teams they are.)

You could have a team full of crosby, mcdavid, ovechkin, and the likes. The team as a whole should be better, but individually someone or all of them will see declines in personal counting stats. Before they were the best and most important piece on there lines. On a stacked team they are just a piece of that machine. No more important then the others.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Just cuz I've been seeing it a lot lately but do you guys think EK clearly deserved the Norris over Burns in 2016 like the general hockey community seems to believe? Just with a quick eyeball of the metrics that year, Burns had a stronger season outside of points.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Just cuz I've been seeing it a lot lately but do you guys think EK clearly deserved the Norris over Burns in 2016 like the general hockey community seems to believe? Just with a quick eyeball of the metrics that year, Burns had a stronger season outside of points.
The Norris should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Karlsson for sure did not deserve the norris that year.

Reactions: Alwalys
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad