Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I could see it too, especially since the last time your GM gave up a top prospect he got burned trading Forsberg for Erat
Yeah something has to tell me something is eating at the back of McPhee's head in all this that Karlsson might not be the same after all he's gone through. After all he's already overpaid for Tatar until he proves otherwise.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah something has to tell me something is eating at the back of McPhee's head in all this that Karlsson might not be the same after all he's gone through. After all he's already overpaid for Tatar until he proves otherwise.

Tatar I get though Neal and Perron are UFA Tatar helps replace one of them

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tatar I get though Neal and Perron are UFA Tatar helps replace one of them
I guess. But until he starts becoming a more consistent offensive threat, it was an overpay. He had one important goal in the playoffs but he disappeared in the Finals. He was a turnover machine and struggled to do anything useful in the offensive zone.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I guess. But until he starts becoming a more consistent offensive threat, it was an overpay. He had one important goal in the playoffs but he disappeared in the Finals. He was a turnover machine and struggled to do anything useful in the offensive zone.

He was never really given a chance to develop any sort of line chemistry. When he came in Neal, Perron, Marcheesault and Smith all missed games and he was moving from line to line without ever really playing with the same linemates all that often. I do have to say that I was also unimpressed with what I saw from him on the ice, but I'm reserving judgement until I see him out there after an offseason with the team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson is one of the most respected, liked and personable players in the league. This notion that he is a locker room problem is hilarious.

Patrick O'Sullivan is trying so hard to stay relevant.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He was never really given a chance to develop any sort of line chemistry. When he came in Neal, Perron, Marcheesault and Smith all missed games and he was moving from line to line without ever really playing with the same linemates all that often. I do have to say that I was also unimpressed with what I saw from him on the ice, but I'm reserving judgement until I see him out there after an offseason with the team.
I did specify that it looks like a bad overpay for now. He can prove people wrong.

Reactions: Seven0two

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
On the Rangers board there is some mention of a late rumor K to NYR.
Doesn't seem real, but I think it can get done.

We should not go there unless the sacrifice of youth/picks is tolerable. We have to take a step and half backward on the rebuild, I get that, but we can't gut the rebuild. That said, here is what I come up with, IN TOTALITY OF CIRCUMSTANCES

Andersson elc + Skjei rfa + Buchnevich elc + Pionk elc + 26OA + 28OA + TB2019 2nd [can morph into a 1st] + Staal, 5.7 reduced half to 2.85 x3
for
Karlsson
Ryan, full pop
4OA

Skjei is a known commodity, looks like McDonagh before the injuries entering his prime, get at RFA and beyond 5-6 yrs, looks good with Chabot
Staal is 3LD ok if not in wrong system or too many mins; this is last year his contract is leaning expensive buyout; next season he is down right cheap. Return of homeboy [general neighborhood] is a PR+.
No RD can replace Karlsson but Pionk is heady and elc cheap
Andy + Buch, both elcs, that's a lot
Ryan is useless without his hands, and is expensive so addition by subtraction
Giving up a top pick, but getting multiples in return.

Rangers should offer EK 12.5 x 4 with limited trade
If the reboot is faster, great; if it runs slow, we can move him
Ryan we just hope IF IF IF IF something can be done about his hands he improves, if not we are stuck and hope for compulsory buyout.

Those are the pieces I'm willing to move, I feel the value is fair
again, all things in consideration [EK a yr from expiring, Ryan forced in the deal, etc.].

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

We should not go there unless the sacrifice of youth/picks is tolerable. We have to take a step and half backward on the rebuild, I get that, but we can't gut the rebuild. That said, here is what I come up with, IN TOTALITY OF CIRCUMSTANCES

Andersson elc + Skjei rfa + Buchnevich elc + Pionk elc + 26OA + 28OA + TB2019 2nd [can morph into a 1st] + Staal, 5.7 reduced half to 2.85 x3
for
Karlsson
Ryan, full pop
4OA

Skjei is a known commodity, looks like McDonagh before the injuries entering his prime, get at RFA and beyond 5-6 yrs, looks good with Chabot
Staal is 3LD ok if not in wrong system or too many mins; this is last year his contract is leaning expensive buyout; next season he is down right cheap. Return of homeboy [general neighborhood] is a PR+.

Ryan we just hope IF IF IF IF something can be done about his hands he improves, if not we are stuck and hope for compulsory buyout.

again, all things in consideration [EK a yr from expiring, Ryan forced in the deal, etc.].

I think the problem with your proposal is with Ottawa giving up the 4th overall pick, particularly if they do not have their own first in 2019 (CO trade). It doesn't really work for a team that may be rebuilding (seeking further clarification on whether Ottawa is actually rebuilding at this point).

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

for
Karlsson
Ryan, full pop
4OA

No thanks.

Reactions: Duncstar

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the problem with your proposal is with Ottawa giving up the 4th overall pick, particularly if they do not have their own first in 2019 (CO trade). It doesn't really work for a team that may be rebuilding (seeking further clarification on whether Ottawa is actually rebuilding at this point).

I hear you.
Other than Staal who is obv at half swapped for Ryan at full, all the assets NY is sending are highly desirable esp for Melnyk, i.e., young, elc., with Skjei an rfa mid 20s entering his prime.
I think the quantity of that justifies including 4OA.
However, we can lose some assets for NY and have Ott keep 4OA.
Somewhere someone said there was a basis to think that so many good prospects coming out this year that up to as many as 50 could be viewed as 'first rounders', a reference to level of talent, not number actually selected. If that is true, a rebuilding team needing depth would not suffer with all those picks.

That works for me as well.
The rumor was a lot less than what I put on the table, basically Skjei +Staal ++ for just EK + Ryan.

I'll do
Andersson elc + Skjei rfa + TB2019 2nd [can morph into a 1st] + Staal, 5.7 reduced half to 2.85 x3
for
Karlsson
Ryan, full pop

That version gives you 2 cheap but solid assets this year, let's you save most of Ryan's cap this year and if you buy out or flip the easy to buy out Staal next year, you recover nearly all of it. All that cap gives you a second chance at UFA market.
TB's next year is a sweetener.

In lieu of the 4OA
NY will focus on moving up from 2 of slots 5OA-8OA
adding Pionk, Buch to later picks, hopefully retaining 9OA.

edit add:
one poster [forget who] did a breakdown.
If you factor in all the variables, who has cap space, who is a fit for EK, territorial considerations, Rangers are on a short list of landing spots.
Relevant point is EK is available, it is not like you have 20 something potential suitors, only a small couple.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2015
Karlsson isn't going to re-sign imo...apparently him and Hoffman are both pieces of **** that are disliked in the locker room according to Patrick O'Sullivan's podcast.

Time for the sens to just move past this bad episode and rid themselves of the toxicity

Patrick O'Sullivan? Nice source. :laugh:

Reactions: branch

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I hear you.
Other than Staal who is obv at half swapped for Ryan at full, all the assets NY is sending are highly desirable esp for Melnyk, i.e., young, elc., with Skjei an rfa mid 20s entering his prime.
I think the quantity of that justifies including 4OA.
However, we can lose some assets for NY and have Ott keep 4OA.
Somewhere someone said there was a basis to think that so many good prospects coming out this year that up to as many as 50 could be viewed as 'first rounders', a reference to level of talent, not number actually selected. If that is true, a rebuilding team needing depth would not suffer with all those picks.

That works for me as well.
The rumor was a lot less than what I put on the table, basically Skjei +Staal ++ for just EK + Ryan.

I'll do
Andersson elc + Skjei rfa + TB2019 2nd [can morph into a 1st] + Staal, 5.7 reduced half to 2.85 x3
for
Karlsson
Ryan, full pop

That version gives you 2 cheap but solid assets this year, let's you save most of Ryan's cap this year and if you buy out or flip the easy to buy out Staal next year, you recover nearly all of it. All that cap gives you a second chance at UFA market.
TB's next year is a sweetener.

In lieu of the 4OA
NY will focus on moving up from 2 of slots 5OA-8OA
adding Pionk, Buch to later picks, hopefully retaining 9OA.

edit add:
one poster [forget who] did a breakdown.
If you factor in all the variables, who has cap space, who is a fit for EK, territorial considerations, Rangers are on a short list of landing spots.
Relevant point is EK is available, it is not like you have 20 something potential suitors, only a small couple.

No interest in this at all. None.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I said this earlier, but still believe it's true. Karlsson will be a devil. It's a match for both sides.

1) We're desperate for right shot defenseman.
2) Our speedy play style aligns with EK's skills.
3) We've got a young group heading in the right direction.
4) We'll have the cap space to resign him to big dollars long term.

How does Severson, McLeod, and 2018 1st round pick feel in terms of value?

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Sens don't want picks or prospects. They think they're a playoff team next year, and when Karlsson is traded it won't be for picks and prospects, it will be for NHLers in the 23-28 years of age range with $ and term. The mandate is twofold, 1. from Melnyk is to shed salary, 2. from Dorion is to sacrifice future to compete in the short term.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
I said this earlier, but still believe it's true. Karlsson will be a devil. It's a match for both sides.

1) We're desperate for right shot defenseman.
2) Our speedy play style aligns with EK's skills.
3) We've got a young group heading in the right direction.
4) We'll have the cap space to resign him to big dollars long term.

How does Severson, McLeod, and 2018 1st round pick feel in terms of value?

Severson + Johansson would be in line with what the Sens are looking for.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Rather a top prospect than Severson personally. Johansson is a plus.

Swap Schneider for Anderson while we're working on this as an act of good faith.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Flyers are looking for a right-handed D, and considering trading Simmonds... how does this look:

Simmonds
Sanheim
14 OA
2019 1st

For

Karlsson

The Sens could flip Simmonds at the deadline for a haul.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Flyers are looking for a right-handed D, and considering trading Simmonds... how does this look:

Simmonds
Sanheim
14 OA
2019 1st

For

Karlsson

The Sens could flip Simmonds at the deadline for a haul.

They don't want picks or prospects. Simmonds is a good centerpiece but I'm not sure what else can be added.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They don't want picks or prospects. Simmonds is a good centerpiece but I'm not sure what else can be added.

Simmonds is not a good starting point. Even if your theory about wanting players is correct, they're gonna want younger cost-controlled assets, not a guy 1 year away from UFA (and a huge payday).

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Simmonds is not a good starting point. Even if your theory about wanting players is correct, they're gonna want younger cost-controlled assets, not a guy 1 year away from UFA (and a huge payday).

The plan is to compete next year. Simmonds helps with that.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The plan is to compete next year. Simmonds helps with that.

The plan is also to get cheaper, having to shell out $6+ million on a long-term deal to (a 30+ year old) Simmonds next year doesn't accomplish that.

You could convince me the team is targeting Konecny or Ghostisbehere or any number of the talented young players on the Fyers, but there's no chance they could sell an EK/Simmonds deal as a win to the fanbase.

Simmonds also has a 12 team NTC, so this seems like a moot point given the circus the Sena are right now.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
The plan is also to get cheaper, having to shell out $6+ million on a long-term deal to (a 30+ year old) Simmonds next year doesn't accomplish that.

You could convince me the team is targeting Konecny or Ghostisbehere or any number of the talented young players on the Fyers, but there's no chance they could sell an EK/Simmonds deal as a win to the fanbase.

Simmonds also has a 12 team NTC, so this seems like a moot point given the circus the Sena are right now.

I'm sure they would target those two guys, but I don't think Philly would realistically give them up. And ownership and management really don't care what the fanbase think, they have a mandate and they'll do what they think are the right moves.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Again, what's Sanheim's upside?

I could see Ottawa pushing for Sanheim and Konechny as the basis and I could see the Flyers balk.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm sure they would target those two guys, but I don't think Philly would realistically give them up. And ownership and management really don't care what the fanbase think, they have a mandate and they'll do what they think are the right moves.

But trading for an older player 1-year away from UFA doesn't fit the MO either. I completely believe Melnyk and Dorion want to compete next year, but trading Karlsson for Simmonds is such a tremendous step back in every sense that I can't actually believe they would go though with it. He's not young, he's not cheap, he's not a centerpiece in any Karlsson deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad