Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You sure do need a new GM, possibly a new coach although I do like Boucher, just not sure he's a head coach but he would be a FANTASTIC assistant, I wanted him as Babcock's assistant when Babcock was hired
PD has some good traits ,his eye for young talent is there for sure...But yes he is in over his head,a well tenured hockey man to guide him away from the all in trades..Is a requirement for sure...In short he needs more experience,he was hired far too soon..The coach,well we all know EM wont pay for a good one as they cost in the millions,so we dumpster dive ...

We are what we are ,a bubble team some seasons ...Or a high drafting team in others...And that isnt going to change unless we get an owner that spend some money on the team

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
PD has some good traits ,his eye for young talent is there for sure...But yes he is in over his head,a well tenured hockey man to guide him away from the all in trades..Is a requirement for sure...In short he needs more experience,he was hired far too soon..The coach,well we all know EM wont pay for a good one as they cost in the millions,so we dumpster dive ...

We are what we are ,a bubble team some seasons ...Or a high drafting team in others...And that isnt going to change unless we get an owner that spend some money on the team
I'd like to see PD with new owners. But thats for another day.

Reactions: topshelf15

Jan 21, 2018
Yea PD is pretty bad but Melnyk is garbage so he deserves a bit of slack.

Worst gm list:

1. Chiarelli
2. Bergevin
3. Benning

Is it safe to rank PD as 4? I'm sure I'm forgetting about a bunch of teams, but I think bottom 3 is a lock.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What teams could be in on Karlsson? Could Tampa still be interested? I’m guessing that’s unlikely after the McDonagh deal, but who knows?

Vegas has the pieces if they want to make such a deal. They have lots of picks and good young players.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
can't wait to laugh at this on July 1st when they announce his 8x10 contract extension.
How do you think the Sens can fit this in? I made a post a page back outlining the potential difficulties in afffording Karlsson as it seems like its going to be a very challenging thing to do. Have any Sens fans outlined a possible way to fit him in without trading two of Duchene/Stone/Hoffman for pure future packages? Not trying to be snarky I’m genuinely curious if any capologists out there have proposed a logical way the Sens can afford everybody with a 68-70 million budget.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How do you think the Sens can fit this in? I made a post a page back outlining the potential difficulties in afffording Karlsson as it seems like its going to be a very challenging thing to do. Have any Sens fans outlined a possible way to fit him in without trading two of Duchene/Stone/Hoffman for pure future packages? Not trying to be snarky I’m genuinely curious if any capologists out there have proposed a logical way the Sens can afford everybody with a 68-70 million budget.

There is 1 thing you forgot in your previous post and that is that Ottawa doesn't really have s choice but to pay Karlsson

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
There is 1 thing you forgot in your previous post and that is that Ottawa doesn't really have s choice but to pay Karlsson
If he gets paid his 10-11 million somebody, or more likely multiple players, have to go. Operating with a 68-70 million dollar budget and having Duchene at 8, Stone at 8, Ceci at 5, Ryan at 7.5, Gaborik at 4.875, and Hoffman at 5.187 isn’t going to be feasible and those are all realistic contracts going forward. That’s nearly 50 million dollars combined and only fills 7 roster spots. Ryan and Gaborik are killing their salary structure and if they want to lose those contracts without taking a ton of salary back, it’s going to cost a Kings ransom in futures for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

I did it for you on Cap Friendly. Screenshots are below.

Hoffman is as good as gone, in my eyes. This year or next. I also see Zack Smith as good as gone, maybe in the Hoffman deal. But I dealt him. Pageau is the tough one but they're gonna hope that one of White, Chlapik or Batherson can take that 3C role, which is likely. So I traded him for a late 1st.

I put Macarthur on the LTIR (80% of his deal is insured), as well as bought out Gaborik which will happen this summer (unless he is injured then he goes on LTIR for the year, not sure if his deal is insured like Clarke's).

I signed Duchene and Stone to just under 8 mil, and Ceci and Dzingel to 4. Ceci might want more, but will be taken to arbitration this year and will barely get his qualifying offer due to his poor analytics, and then likely get traded for forward help while Jaros and 4th overall are waiting to take Ceci's spot.

The budget was 68 mil last year and likely goes up 1 or 2 per year as the cap does.
It really is possible, and to me, likely.

Karlsson already said that the dollar amount isn't the deal breaker, but he wants an 8 year deal. He also said he loves the city and organization and wants to win here. I get that he kind of has to say that, but I truly think he wants to be here.

Then again, this would all be much easier with competent ownership.

Attachments

• 20180530_031330.jpg
    20180530_031330.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180530_031357.jpg
    20180530_031357.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180530_031417.jpg
    20180530_031417.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 15

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I did it for you on Cap Friendly. Screenshots are below.

Hoffman is as good as gone, in my eyes. This year or next. I also see Zack Smith as good as gone, maybe in the Hoffman deal. But I dealt him. Pageau is the tough one but they're gonna hope that one of White, Chlapik or Batherson can take that 3C role, which is likely. So I traded him for a late 1st.

I put Macarthur on the LTIR (80% of his deal is insured), as well as bought out Gaborik which will happen this summer (unless he is injured then he goes on LTIR for the year, not sure if his deal is insured like Clarke's).

I signed Duchene and Stone to just under 8 mil, and Ceci and Dzingel to 4. Ceci might want more, but will be taken to arbitration this year and will barely get his qualifying offer due to his poor analytics, and then likely get traded for forward help while Jaros and 4th overall are waiting to take Ceci's spot.

The budget was 68 mil last year and likely goes up 1 or 2 per year as the cap does.
It really is possible, and to me, likely.

Karlsson already said that the dollar amount isn't the deal breaker, but he wants an 8 year deal. He also said he loves the city and organization and wants to win here. I get that he kind of has to say that, but I truly think he wants to be here.

Then again, this would all be much easier with competent ownership.
This really isn’t too bad, I didn’t know it was likely Gaborik is to be bought out this summer. I would argue the Duchene/Ceci/Stone/Karlsson contracts are hoping that all 4 of them sign for as low as they realistically would and that it’s probably going to end up as 1-2 million more in actuality (at least) but it’s not impossible. Evander Kane just signed for 7 million, if I’m Stones agent I wouldn’t even think about a 7.5 contract that’s basically all UFA years. Johansen signed at 8 per at a lower cap, I think that’s Stones floor but he could get more if he wanted it. I also think expecting Melnyks cap to increase to around 71 million just because the cap is increasing doesn’t make a lot of sense, the cap could go up to 85 million and it wouldn’t change how much he has to spend. You can probably shed another 1 million-ish dollars off there. The other problem I have with this team is that you have 8 forwards and 5 dmen all at less than 1 million dollars, not exactly a viable long term solution although it would work for next year. Using your ideas while also trading Ceci for pure futures would definitely make it possible. At that point though you’re losing Ceci, Pageau, Hoffman, and Smith all off of a team that just finished 2nd last in the league and a lot of the roster is unknown young players. Kyrou also might be a tough get, maybe a deal around Fabbri + picks is more likely, but then Fabbri needs a new contract of his own that’s going to cost more than an elc. I don’t know, it seems really tough to me to get this to truly work.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bump Tampa up towards the top of the list again. They'll move out salary and make room for a Karlsson.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Around the 9:05 mark. Talks about his future a bit in this. Obviously he cares about money but I really the the 8 year offer from Ottawa is big. He's not gonna leave his favourite city and his wife's hometown over $500k a year. He also says "Ottawa is my home now, it's the place I'm going to be even after retirement" or something like that. He genuinely wants to stay, and if he doesn't, it's because of Eugene.

Also if you check out Dorion's end of the year presser, he states that he's offering Karlsson an 8 year deal. He also said that at the town hall meetings with us Season Ticket holders in April.

I'm just scared that it'll be such a lowball offer that Karlsson will laugh at, and then they'll trade him and say "Erik rejected our offer" and try to put the blame on him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bump Tampa up towards the top of the list again. They'll move out salary and make room for a Karlsson.

I wouldnt be surprised. Long term our D is Hedman, Sergachev, Foote and Cernak. I wouldnt be surprised if we tried to get Karlsson this offseason or if he hits FA next summer. Weve looked for a puck moving RHD since forever. I just dont know what SY would be willing to part with or if it would even be enough.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wouldnt be surprised. Long term our D is Hedman, Sergachev, Foote and Cernak. I wouldnt be surprised if we tried to get Karlsson this offseason or if he hits FA next summer. Weve looked for a puck moving RHD since forever. I just dont know what SY would be willing to part with or if it would even be enough.

Post McDonagh trade? Probably not.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What kind of packages are we looking at right now for EK? How about something like Timo Meier, Kevin LaBanc, #21OV for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad