Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Why do you think Tampa is best case for Ottawa? That pretty much gaurantees a juggernaut is in the Atlantic for at least 8 years.. why would they want that? They can’t be planning to suck for a decade.

I (my personal opinion) believe that Tampa is offering the best package of assets for Karlsson by far, based on these two things:

1. The "hinting" by some insiders that Karlsson is willing to right now extend with the Lightning. That means they are valuing him as a long-term asset and not a rental.

2. The fact that a deal with Tampa was / is "close." Think about it for a second - why would Dorion even consider trading Karlsson to the East unless the return he is getting for him is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the ones he's been offered from a Western team? To me, the Tampa return will 100% be the best return for the Sens.

Does Tampa really have the best assets?

IMO, yes, without question. For one, I think Cal Foote will become the next Dougie Hamilton (even more physical). I think hockey people realize just how good this kid is, and he's a monster in size. Outside of Heiskanen - there is no other D prospect that is better (based on the rumored teams). And, I think in 3-4 years, Foote could be as good if not better, due to his size. reach, and intangibles.

The Bolts also have Cirelli, who is a stud in the mold of Point, Johnson, Drouin, etc. The kid is a gem and has already got a taste in the NHL... cracking a loaded TB roster.

In addition to those pieces, the Lightning also have other players to dangle, such as Raddysh, Gourde, etc.

I like Tampa's potential package way better than Dallas', unless the Stars were willing to include Heiskanen... then we have a debate.

As for Vegas, they have the best collection of prospects to offer (Theodore, Glass, Brannstrom, Suzuki, Hague, etc.) but unless Karlsson agrees to extend with them, McPhee isn't going to gut the farm for a one-year rental. Think about it - he just overachieved and took his team to the Cup by managing his assets perfectly. He just lost Neal and Perron. The last thing he is going to do is strip the cupboard of his best, young talent for a rental player. It doesn't matter how great Karlsson is... surrendering your best young talent for a one year hope is career suicide.

Reactions: AndreRoy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Not for the Sens, obviously

They’d be lucky to get that much. Based on the reports/rumors we’ve seen nobody else is offering a piece as valuable as Foote and Miller has a good deal of value himself. The idea that they’ll somehow get Sergachev+++ is a pipe dream.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Replace Serg with Foote, make it Miller (Johnson won’t waive for Ottawa), and take out Raddysh and that’s probably about right. Still doesn’t fit Karlsson’s cap hit long term though so that would be a huge problem for SY to somehow resolve.

If anyone can do it Yzerman can.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They’d be lucky to get that much. Based on the reports/rumors we’ve seen nobody else is offering a piece as valuable as Foote and Miller has a good deal of value himself. The idea that they’ll somehow get Sergachev+++ is a pipe dream.
The idea that Miller + Foote + Raddysh gets a signed Karlsson is a pipe dream, though I know there's no point in trying to discuss anything with you.

You win, Sens take that deal and run

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Clearly the sticking point in all this is facilitating a way for Ryan to come off the books in Ottawa, whichever team gets that done...gets Karlsson. Tampa can't do it for Cap reasons, so that was why the 3rd team had to come in. But also Ottawa has to be cap compliant, with the deal, and at least be within 10% of the floor to make it work. For Tampa to make it work, they would have to give up too many pieces of their "core" in order to make it work, which is probably Yzerman hasn't been able to get the deal done.

Reactions: AndreRoy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I personally dont see it. I think we would send Gourde and Cirelli before we traded Miller. Both good young players on the upswing (with some NHL and playoff experience) and low cost. It would hurt for TB to give them but those 2, Sergachev and Raddysh would be a great deal for Ottawa. I dont know if SY would do it but I think that is a good deal. TB still needs to shed salary but we could trade Coburn for a pick.

The bolded is precisely why. We’re tight enough to the cap as it is and valuable low cost contributors like Sergachev, Gourde, and Cirelli are worth their weight in gold. We’ll almost certainly have to trade Miller in a year anyway even if we don’t get Karlsson so moving him a year early doesn’t hurt us much, and Gourde and Cirelli will give us more production at a lower cap hit than Miller for the two of them combined.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We could do a lot worse. I don’t expect Serg and Foote. Serg as the main piece is good with me. If Miller is in the deal, that’s good, if not, some picks and/or prospects would be fine.
Thats about what Jordan Staal got. If that's the package Dorion accepts for Karlsson he should be tarred and feathered, would be a pathetic return.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
The bolded is precisely why. We’re tight enough to the cap as it is and valuable low cost contributors like Sergachev, Gourde, and Cirelli are worth their weight in gold. We’ll almost certainly have to trade Miller in a year anyway even if we don’t get Karlsson so moving him a year early doesn’t hurt us much, and Gourde and Cirelli will give us more production at a lower cap hit than Miller for the two of them combined.

Even with them moving we still have some excellent players in our system who could take over them roles.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think at the end of all of this, EK ultimately goes somewhere that isn't TB for an underwhelming return and then he signs in TB in the offseason next year. I've felt like since the deadline that EK would eventually play in TB, just wasn't sure how it'd happen.

I think the reported closeness of a deal was a smoke screen and done by OTT to try and get DAL and VGK moving.

I don't doubt that Yzerman is still discussing, but I just don't see him spending much more time on this. The logistics are huge, especially if Ryan needs to be involved.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thats all they are ....we dont have to give TB anything and can wait

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I (my personal opinion) believe that Tampa is offering the best package of assets for Karlsson by far, based on these two things:

1. The "hinting" by some insiders that Karlsson is willing to right now extend with the Lightning. That means they are valuing him as a long-term asset and not a rental.

2. The fact that a deal with Tampa was / is "close." Think about it for a second - why would Dorion even consider trading Karlsson to the East unless the return he is getting for him is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the ones he's been offered from a Western team? To me, the Tampa return will 100% be the best return for the Sens.

IMO, yes, without question. For one, I think Cal Foote will become the next Dougie Hamilton (even more physical). I think hockey people realize just how good this kid is, and he's a monster in size. Outside of Heiskanen - there is no other D prospect that is better (based on the rumored teams). And, I think in 3-4 years, Foote could be as good if not better, due to his size. reach, and intangibles.

The Bolts also have Cirelli, who is a stud in the mold of Point, Johnson, Drouin, etc. The kid is a gem and has already got a taste in the NHL... cracking a loaded TB roster.

In addition to those pieces, the Lightning also have other players to dangle, such as Raddysh, Gourde, etc.

I like Tampa's potential package way better than Dallas', unless the Stars were willing to include Heiskanen... then we have a debate.

As for Vegas, they have the best collection of prospects to offer (Theodore, Glass, Brannstrom, Suzuki, Hague, etc.) but unless Karlsson agrees to extend with them, McPhee isn't going to gut the farm for a one-year rental. Think about it - he just overachieved and took his team to the Cup by managing his assets perfectly. He just lost Neal and Perron. The last thing he is going to do is strip the cupboard of his best, young talent for a rental player. It doesn't matter how great Karlsson is... surrendering your best young talent for a one year hope is career suicide.

Hmmm fair points. This could all be 100 percent correct. I guess I just don’t see how they fit him and give up the best package.

I’m not as high on Foote. But I didn’t pay much attention to the whl this year.

We will see where it goes. I just don’t see why a team would give their franchise to a team that they play in the same division and just make their trip to the finals harder for basically a decade.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The idea that Miller + Foote + Raddysh gets a signed Karlsson is a pipe dream,

Actually, no it's not. If Karlsson has his heart set on signing in Tampa next July, no team is going to beat this deal for a rental. So, Dorion could either spite Karlsson and the Lightning and trade him as a rental to DAL or VGK for a package not as good as the above... or face the reality that he is in a tough spot, has limited leverage, and accept the best deal for his club, even though it might not be everything he wants.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think at the end of all of this, EK ultimately goes somewhere that isn't TB for an underwhelming return and then he signs in TB in the offseason next year. I've felt like since the deadline that EK would eventually play in TB, just wasn't sure how it'd happen.

I think the reported closeness of a deal was a smoke screen and done by OTT to try and get DAL and VGK moving.

I don't doubt that Yzerman is still discussing, but I just don't see him spending much more time on this. The logistics are huge, especially if Ryan needs to be involved.
Could happen as well

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually, no it's not. If Karlsson has his heart set on signing in Tampa next July, no team is going to beat this deal for a rental. So, Dorion could either spite Karlsson and the Lightning and trade him as a rental to DAL or VGK for a package not as good as the above... or face the reality that he is in a tough spot, has limited leverage, and accept the best deal for his club, even though it might not be everything he wants.
Mighty big if though???If Ottawa makes him play it out until the TDL then moves him to another contender that he finds out he likes there just as much and resigns with them???What happens to your theory then??

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Thats about what Jordan Staal got. If that's the package Dorion accepts for Karlsson he should be tarred and feathered, would be a pathetic return.

A very good young top 4 dman to build our blueline around and a 25 year old top six forward is not a horrible return at this point. We could do worse than that at this point. You may envy that package after you see what we get.

What are you expecting at this point on a return?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A deal with Karlsson and the main piece is JT Miller. That's the definition of a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad