Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not even that, we feel the same frustration with the same posters on our board. Some people always think they are right, and have no room to possibly think they are wrong or might be wrong.
Many alive I have been wrong so many freaken times,and will man up...I have every right to look the fool...But yep I agree ,why try to be a know it all...When the true path to knowledge usually involves a collective effort

Reactions: Hedley Lamarr

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No one is ever happy with a return for a franchise player.

That's the insanity of how Ottawa is operating, but they have no other play. The return for the best Dman in the league is never going to be enough.

Ask the Islanders fans how happy they are with the return they got for Tavares.

They'd be partying in the streets if they could have cashed him in for Foote, Cirelli, Johnson and a 1st.

Ottawa fans are in denial about the situation they are in, IMO. In 12 months, Karlsson walks for nothing, just like Tavares did. Teams know this. Until Karlsson agrees to sign an extension with the team who trades for him, the offers are going to be horrific.

This has nothing to do with Karlsson's "value" or "talent." It has everything to do with teams not willing to gut their farm or remove their best young players for only ONE guaranteed year of Karlsson. Sens fans need to truly understand that, or they will be miserable.

If Karlsson was under contract for 3-4 more years, the Sens would get a massive haul for him. But he's not. He's a pending UFA with no term and (at least as of now) is content with going to market.

The worst thing Dorion / Melnyk did was not trade Karlsson last year at the deadline, so the team acquiring him had TWO playoff runs out of him at the very least. Now they are stuck with an expiring asset with no term or leverage in a trade.

Anyone thinking the Sens are getting a Point, Sergachev, Heiskanen, Glass, etc. for Karlsson is only fooling themselves. If Karlsson is truly emotionally set on signing in Tampa next summer, they can sit on their hands, do nothing, and sign him for free the way the Leafs did Tavares.

If Vegas or Dallas is willing to give up good assets for a one-year rental, that's on them. Let their GM's put their careers on the line.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

They'd be partying in the streets if they could have cashed him in for Foote, Cirelli, Johnson and a 1st.

Ottawa fans are in denial about the situation they are in, IMO. In 12 months, Karlsson walks for nothing, just like Tavares did. Teams know this. Until Karlsson agrees to sign an extension with the team who trades for him, the offers are going to be horrific.

This has nothing to do with Karlsson's "value" or "talent." It has everything to do with teams not willing to gut their farm or remove their best young players for only ONE guaranteed year of Karlsson. Sens fans need to truly understand that, or they will be miserable.

If Karlsson was under contract for 3-4 more years, the Sens would get a massive haul for him. But he's not. He's a pending UFA with no term and (at least as of now) is content with going to market.

The worst thing Dorion / Melnyk did was not trade Karlsson last year at the deadline, so the team acquiring him had TWO playoff runs out of him at the very least.
If its not the right deal than it just isnt the right deal.....TJ is a great piece that will not waive his NMC to come to Ottawa...So right there the deal is dead...

Reactions: iamjs

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The worst thing Dorion / Melnyk did was not trade Karlsson last year at the deadline, so the team acquiring him had TWO playoff runs out of him at the very least. Now they are stuck with an expiring asset with no term or leverage in a trade.

I think the plan was to get him to sign an extension. I would rather know I can sign him for 8 years in the summer. Rather than trade for him at the deadline and then he says no in the summer. I think that was the thought but obviously it’s not working as planned

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think the plan was to get him to sign an extension. I would rather know I can sign him for 8 years in the summer. Rather than trade for him at the deadline and then he says no in the summer. I think that was the thought but obviously it’s not working as planned

Right. But the Karlsson situation in Ottawa is not working out as planned either. And, Dorion / Melnyk are making matters worse IMO.

Karlsson already rejected Ottawa's offer so there's 0% chance he is extending there. That ship has sailed. Now they need to trade a player with no term left unless they can move him to a team he is willing to extend with, pre-trade.

Sens fans, while I love you guys and gals, are looking at "Karlsson the player" and saying "he's so great, he's at least worth..." but that's not how it works in a salary cap NHL with pending UFA's. There's only a certain amount a team is willing to pay for an un-extended Karlsson... and it's nowhere close to what he's "worth." A deal with Tampa is the best scenario for the Sens... fans better hope and pray Melnyk doesn't eff it up and it comes to fruition.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
4 team trade proposal.

To Ottawa: Sergachev, Foote, Raddysh
To Tampa: Signed Karlsson
To NYR: Panarin, Ryan, Hogberg
To CBJ: Johnson, Tychonick, 2019 3rd (Columbus')

Why they do it.
Ottawa: Gains 3 good players young player.
In: Sergachev, Foote, Raddysh
Out: Karlsson, Ryan, Hogberg, Tychonick, 3rd

Tampa: They get a signed Erik Karlsson without losing point.
In: Karlsson
Out: Tyler Johnson,

NYR: They get Panarin without giving up any assets and gain a solid Swedish goalie prospect .
In: Panarin, Ryan, Hogberg
Out: Nothing.

CBJ: This is the hardest for them, they lose Panarin but the compensation is pretty fair.
In: Tyler Johnson, Jonathon Tchonick (48th overall selection in 2018 draft) Columbus' 3rd round pick returned.

Thoughts?

You aren’t getting Sergy and Foote

Reactions: AndreRoy and iamjs

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Right. But the Karlsson situation in Ottawa is not working out as planned either. And, Dorion / Melnyk are making matters worse IMO.

Karlsson already rejected Ottawa's offer so there's 0% chance he is extending there. That ship has sailed. Now they need to trade a player with no term left unless they can move him to a team he is willing to extend with, pre-trade.

Sens fans, while I love you guys and gals, are looking at "Karlsson the player" and saying "he's so great, he's at least worth..." but that's not how it works in a salary cap NHL with pending UFA's. There's only a certain amount a team is willing to pay for an un-extended Karlsson... and it's nowhere close to what he's "worth." A deal with Tampa is the best scenario for the Sens... fans better hope and pray Melnyk doesn't eff it up and it comes to fruition.
And thats fine as your opinion,but its not the only option we have to attempt to gain value....

We can wait until the TDL offer him up a contract and if he still refuses to sign and wants to leave ,then we can deal him to a much broader assortment of teams as a rental with a 10 team NTC that his current contract has....Saying we cant possibly do better is nothing more than baseless speculation atm ...And have heard quite enough of it

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I know that it doesn’t seem to be working as the latest rumour is that he won’t sign immediately with anyone. But I think that was the thought. Many teams were rumoured to have said that they would up their offer in the summer if they could get an extension done. Obviously it seems like he is throwing a wrench in that. Which is his right as a player.

Why do you think Tampa is best case for Ottawa? That pretty much gaurantees a juggernaut is in the Atlantic for at least 8 years.. why would they want that? They can’t be planning to suck for a decade.

Does Tampa really have the best assets?

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I think it would be safe to assume that Ottawa is content with Tampa's offer, and is in a holding pattern until Tampa can clear the necessary space.

I imagine that EK will be a Bolt before the season starts, unless another team comes in with a huge offer, or other teams put the squeeze on Tampa moving salary out.

God I hope so

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Thats fair,so what would a fair offer to you look like...Mine would be Serg,TJ/or equal and a 1st or equal value prospect

Depends if Karlsson resigns or not but i wont be suprised something like Serg, either JT Miller or Johnson, Maybe Taylor Raddysh and a pick.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

What would be really hard for Sens fans to take is if they trade an unsigned Karlsson to a team for a pittance.

Meanwhile he’s got a handshake agreement with them to sign after a trade is made. When you think about it, why wouldn’t he do this? Why lessen the skill on the team you’re going to by signing early?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What would be fair from Philly for Karlsson and Ryan ($3 million retained)?

This is a loaded question. As a Flyers fan, I think Hextall should be all over Karlsson. He's exactly what the Flyers need IMO - a righthanded vet D (still young) that could log 25+ minutes and make an impact. The addition of Karlsson would also maximize Gostisbehere, as he better-suited for a 2nd pairing than a top pair.

However, as with Dallas and Vegas, et al, Hextall would never gut the farm for Karlsson UNLESS he agrees to a 7 year extension with the Flyers.

So, playing the wishing game here, let's say Karlsson is willing to extend in Philly at $11 x 7, (as a fan) I would be okay with the Flyers offering this...

TO PHI:
- Karlsson
- Ryan ($3 mil retained)
- Anderson

TO OTT:
- (Sens choice of) Sanheim / Myers
- Frost
- Strome
- Lehtera (to free up some money)
- MacDonald (to free up some money)
- Neuvirth
- 2019 1st

The Sens add a stud D prospect (young D) in Sanheim or Myers. Chabot and Myers had some very nice chemistry for Canada, so he might be a better fit. They add a top OHL scoring center, who has been dazzling in development camp. They add another F prospect in Strome, a couple of cap hit players that could help now (Lehtera expires after the season) and a 1st round pick that they currently don't have next year.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
If its not the right deal than it just isnt the right deal.....TJ is a great piece that will not waive his NMC to come to Ottawa...So right there the deal is dead...
I just want to quote this again for those who are including Johnson in their trade proposals.

Also a lot of the cap numbers aren't adding up, so there's also that.

Reactions: topshelf15

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Depends if Karlsson resigns or not but i wont be suprised something like Serg, either JT Miller or Johnson, Maybe Taylor Raddysh and a pick.

You think Yzerman would trade Miller after he just re-signed him? Seems like a cold thing to do.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
You think Yzerman would trade Miller after he just re-signed him? Seems like a cold thing to do.

Never know his NMC doesn't kick in till next summer, will be surprised if Johnson waves to go to Ottawa and is easier to move Miller than Johnson. It does seem like a cold thing to do but if it needs to be done then so be it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It’s a business.......

Yeah, but will players be reluctant to sign in Tampa if Yzerman does something like that? If Miller wasn’t signed,I could see him being in the deal. He could very well still be. There’s nothing saying they can’t trade him, but some GM’s wouldn’t make a move like that. Besides, Yzerman has been after Karlsson for a while. If Dorion wanted Miller, the Lightning likely wouldn’t have signed him.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Replace Serg with Foote, make it Miller (Johnson won’t waive for Ottawa), and take out Raddysh and that’s probably about right. Still doesn’t fit Karlsson’s cap hit long term though so that would be a huge problem for SY to somehow resolve.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I personally dont see it. I think we would send Gourde and Cirelli before we traded Miller. Both good young players on the upswing (with some NHL and playoff experience) and low cost. It would hurt for TB to give them but those 2, Sergachev and Raddysh would be a great deal for Ottawa. I dont know if SY would do it but I think that is a good deal. TB still needs to shed salary but we could trade Coburn for a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad