Erik Karlsson does it again

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I think with Karlsson, things came relatively easy for him in his twenties. He was so naturally gifted that he didn't have to think too much about it. Now that he's thirty, it's not coming so easy. For thirty year olds, to stay in the upper echelon of star players, they have to train like beasts and live in the gym. Not to mention the diet and lifestyle they have to maintain off the ice.

I am guessing this is not Karlsson.. I don't know this for fact, but I suspect he doesn't have the work ethic needed to be a star player in his 30s.
i'd be more onboard with that if he wasn't so willing to jump up into the play. he'll exert all the effort in the world in the O zone, he just flat doesn't want to play D

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i'd be more onboard with that if he wasn't so willing to jump up into the play. he'll exert all the effort in the world in the O zone, he just flat doesn't want to play D

Even last night he was working some lateral magic along the blueline. Not quite how he was before but still enough to turn Iafallo into a snowman :laugh:

But his backward skating and transitions clearly aren't connecting with the synapses going to his brain. Add the shitty Staples ice into the equation and...

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Doughty/Karlsson are just shells of what they used to be.
Father time comes for everyone, it's sad but inevitable. Though Doughty has been good this season but you'll only find his derp moments on the main boards.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Man, that puck stopped dead on him. The ice for a lot of games this season has been atrocious. Of course, that doesn't take away from Karlsson being lazy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.

Honestly, even his last season in Ottawa it looked like he lost a step. Still scored a bunch of points, but his defensive skills got worse (he was never good defensively to begin with) but you could see he was regressing somewhat.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Let's not pretend these threads weren't being made when Karlsson was the best in league as well.
New here? Karlsson being bad defensively has been a thread on here since he was winning Norris trophies

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
And to think - Karlsson thanked the fans as if he knew he wasn’t likely to remain a Shark.

That’s when Wilson backed the Brinks armored car into Karlsson’s driveway with a contract in hand.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.
No offence to you pal but we get so lost in the sport that we forget the human side of things. It’s often the easy path to just say someone doesn’t care about their performance as an athlete anymore because they got paid but man the guy’s child died. That can f*** you up and your cognitive performance, awareness, headspace for a long time, and I can only imagine.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No offence to you pal but we get so lost in the sport that we forget the human side of things. It’s often the easy path to just say someone doesn’t care about their performance as an athlete anymore because they got paid but man the guy’s child died. That can f*** you up and your cognitive performance, awareness, headspace for a long time, and I can only imagine.

His child died in March, 2018. He had a good performance in 2019 considering he was playing injured (and Sharks were still a good team too).

He now has another child that's well and healthy. No doubt that it was a tragic, life-changing event but that doesn't excuse his performance right now.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sharks have so many big long term contract to old guys when you look at them. Pretty brutal looking.

A former top contender in its final death throws of competitiveness is a good recipe for bad contracts. SJ looks like they've done a particularly poor job of it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad