Erik Karlsson does it again

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.

he was apparently 100 percent healthy for the 1st time thanks too the prolonged layoff.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
This is EK at peak health. At this point maybe it’s best to move on. He can make the same money in the press box without costing his team goals every night.

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
As someone who appreciates the greatness and uniqueness of Karlsson, I never really liked the trade to San Jose. I don't think it's the greatest fit. But I suspect we'll see some good hockey from him sometime in the future.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
People keep mentioning family tragedy? Did something else happen lately?

I remember the still born story from 2018 when he was still with the sens, but he has had a healthy child since then.
I mean... do you think you just get over that?

Reactions: DaveG

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Was this early in the period? Looks like the puck hit a wet spot.

Funny that people complain about his reaction time in a slow-mo. He can’t teleport himself to the slot.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sure, he looks horrible, but you have to ask yourself the real question: Is his JTR statistic higher than Carlson? :sarcasm:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
If there were threads like this for karlsson over the course of his career, youd need an entire subforum for those threads. Hes just horrendous in his own zone, always has been.

All i ask is that new threads dont get started every time now. Itll clutter things up.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
lol @ the petiness. I guess a Shark fan started that Doughty does it again thread...

anyway puck jumped up on him, it happens. lots else to criticize with this play this year though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Karlsson is primary example of why you don't dish out massive deals to offensive d-men who have no idea how to play defense. I hope Canucks front office is paying attention. Quinn Hughes is headed in the same direction.
Sure, but honestly, Karlsson isn't even the worst contract on his own team - that's Vlasic. And I don't think anyone's ever mistaken Vlasic for an offensive d-man.

As bad as Karlsson has been, Vlasic honestly barely resembles an NHL player at this point. Karlsson's just a case of a guy who never really recovered from his foot/ankle problems,

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As someone who appreciates the greatness and uniqueness of Karlsson, I never really liked the trade to San Jose. I don't think it's the greatest fit. But I suspect we'll see some good hockey from him sometime in the future.

To be fair I remember thinking that this blueline would be crazy scary. Both Burns and EK were superstars offensive D nearing PPG, and you could basically always have one of them on the ice. They also had Vlasic as an awesome defensive D to shelter one of them, and Dillon who was pretty good defensively for the other. Just a little too late for the Sharks who should have went full rebuilt mode with the impending decline of Thornton and Marleau and aging Burns/Vlasic. They had some good youth coming too it's really a shame.

As for Karlsson, he had an insane run for SIX seasons, that's not a flash in the pan. I don't know if its his game that aged like shit, the foot injury, his personal life or a combination of all that make him look so bad now but he's really not living to that contract. I wonder if the Sharks will find a way out or if EK will retire midway through, but leaving so much money on the table? I guess if he really stopped caring and got out of shape they could out him like that...

Looks like another 5+ years before San Jose gets another shot to finally win a cup with the awful Vlasic/Burns/Karlsson contracts

5 years is a different world in today's NHL but I think the timeline is even worst... They burnt through their picks and seems like they have a pretty bad prospect pool unless I'm mistaken? They have good young guys like Donato, Meier, Labanc but then in 5 years they'll need some support since Couture/Kane will most probably be out or bad. Unless they manage to trade their bad contracts... at the expense of picks/players? I think they're entering a good 10 years of rebuild if they don't start to make some homeruns quick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad