Erik Karlsson does it again

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It’s not sad for him. It’s sad for hockey.

Really is. I mentioned this on my teams board, but he did stuff that no one in the NHL had done in a generation, and he did it in an era that it was a lot more difficult to do it in. The way that game is played now it's almost impossible for a d-man to consistently generate offense by carrying the puck out of his own zone into the offensive zone, the closest guy in the league to doing what EK did in his prime was Josi, but even he was multiple levels below EK in doing that.

The game was robbed of a transformative superstar who has sadly fallen off the Earth at age 30.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Really is. I mentioned this on my teams board, but he did stuff that no one in the NHL had done in a generation, and he did it in an era that it was a lot more difficult to do it in. The way that game is played now it's almost impossible for a d-man to consistently generate offense by carrying the puck out of his own zone into the offensive zone, the closest guy in the league to doing what EK did in his prime was Josi, but even he was multiple levels below EK in doing that.

The game was robbed of a transformative superstar who has sadly fallen off the Earth at age 30.

Sad thing is that his first serious injury only happened when he was 22. That's basically how old guys like Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen are.

We never got to see how good Karlsson could have really been.

Reactions: Slimmy

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Yeah and a good case can be made that Karlsson was better at peak. Although it was close, DD was stellar around 2014.

Doughty has aged better, that’s for sure.

It's the other way around peak Karlsson makes Due Drew an afterthought but for career a, somewhat weak, case can be made that Drew is ahead.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Karlsson still makes plays that only superstars make. His in tight work is phenomenal.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
When Karlsson went to the All-Star game one year he decided to dress as a pirate so that he could stand out.

The fact he was at the All-Star game wasn't enough attention for him he had to do something else to stand out from the other players going to the game.

When someone has an ego this large people enjoy it when they fail.
:nod:

He came directly from Tampa's annual pirate festival actually. He didn't just randomly dress up as a pirate for a hockey game.

Gasparilla Pirate Festival - Wikipedia

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah but...he scored two even number goals (+2) and couldn't get + marker....

Nothing away from 2 goals and the game winner, congrats, but...how did he still manage to
get -2 and get himself +/- 0?

First goal against - He pressures wing at Neutral zone who feeds a pass to forward for a short 2 on 1 because Sharks forwards backchecking is optional only. His D partner goes too aggressive and gets deked around, turning the 2 on 1 into a 2 on 0.

Second goal against, multiple chances to break out but sharks forwards turnover inside the blue line. Jones plays aggressively, comes out of net, takes an age to get back in net. Whilst doing this shot is banked in off of him.

Neither can be really directly attributed to Karlsson.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Didn't Patrick Kane dress in a Superman outfit

Here is Auston Matthews saying "Look at me! Look at me!"

images

Last edited:
Reactions: SenzZen and Slimmy

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I still wonder if the Sharks channeled all their offense through him like the Sens did, would he still look like he has fallen off?
He still looked like a superstar to me his last day with the Sens... but he never and I repeat NEVER looked the same to me on the sharks..

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah but...he scored two even number goals (+2) and couldn't get + marker....

Nothing away from 2 goals and the game winner, congrats, but...how did he still manage to
get -2 and get himself +/- 0?

Thats classic karlsson if they lose its the goalie or the teams fault because he got points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad