Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You only keep him if you can re-sign him. Can’t kose him for nothing next summer.
Welcome to the life of the Ottawa Sens. Can't sign a superstar player so we need to get bent over in a trade for one final show of incompetence. If it's not a bad trade, it's a bad signing. If it's not a bad signing, it's a bad non-signing. Hasn't been much to file in the good department in the past 2 years

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
84296504-Eugene-Melnyk-Getty.jpg

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I said before that if I were to deal Karlsson, I'd be aiming for something similar to what we landed for Yashin. So, with that in mind, here's how a VGK's offer looks imo.

VGK have nothing to compare with 2nd OA, Glass being their top asset. Theodore aligns to Chara for me though. Muckalt was inconsequential.

So, if we can get Glass and Theodore, how much does it take to balance the gap between Glass and Spezza? I think 2 1st round picks could be enough.

Heck, we could offer 4th OA, 22nd OA, and the 2019 Vegas 1st round pick to Carolina for 2nd, which would be a pretty compelling offer I think, and the end up a net change of

Svechnikov, Glass, Thoedore, VGK 2020 1st Rd

for

Karlsson, 4OA, 22nd OA.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Man, here I was thinking a package for EK would be, at the very least: Tuch, Theodore, Brannstrom/Glass/Suzuki and conditional first.

I think if we got Glass, two 1sts, and a conditional first, that is a very solid deal if they are taking Ryan, and if one of the conditions of the 1st is that it also transfers (if) Vegas trades Karlsson before July 1st 2019.

Don't get me wrong, it's terrible to lose Karlsson, and we won't win the trade, but if we're losing him anyways because we can't compete with our budget/dead salary, or because things between Karlsson and Melnyk are bad enough that he won't re-sign, getting the above package is a good return in that context.

With the Subban rumours, my only hope is that we somehow are able to dump Ryan in the deal. I highly doubt it happens. But if we were able to get Subban at (10/10/8/8) and 7.5M in salary space for Karlsson, that puts us in a better position going forward than extending Karlsson at 10.5-12.5 per season (most likely front loaded) and still having Ryan on the books at 7.5M for another four seasons.

Things will still stink, because everything is going to suck while this team has a bad foundation with a cheap owner and constantly having to give up consolations to erase minor salary mistakes that other cap ceiling teams don't have to, but Karlsson+Ryan for Subban would be the closest thing to a homerun that there is in this situation. If it's Karlsson for Subban 1 for 1, while that's still a lot better than getting late 1sts and uncertain prospects, we're going to have almost as much trouble competing since it doesn't solve our dead salary/budget issue.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think if we got Glass, two 1sts, and a conditional first, that is a very solid deal if they are taking Ryan, and if one of the conditions of the 1st is that it also transfers (if) Vegas trades Karlsson before July 1st 2019.

Don't get me wrong, it's terrible to lose Karlsson, and we won't win the trade, but if we're losing him anyways because we can't compete with our budget/dead salary, or because things between Karlsson and Melnyk are bad enough that he won't re-sign, getting the above package is a good return in that context.

With the Subban rumours, my only hope is that we somehow are able to dump Ryan in the deal. I highly doubt it happens. But if we were able to get Subban at (10/10/8/8) and 7.5M in salary space for Karlsson, that puts us in a better position going forward than extending Karlsson at 10.5-12.5 per season (most likely front loaded) and still having Ryan on the books at 7.5M for another four seasons.

Things will still stink, because everything is going to suck while this team has a bad foundation with a cheap owner and constantly having to give up consolations to erase minor salary mistakes that other cap ceiling teams don't have to, but Karlsson+Ryan for Subban would be the closest thing to a homerun that there is in this situation. If it's Karlsson for Subban 1 for 1, while that's still a lot better than getting late 1sts and uncertain prospects, we're going to have almost as much trouble competing since it doesn't solve our dead salary/budget issue.
yup thats a good deal....Glass is quality

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If Subban is in play it is because he has already worn out his welcome in two dressing rooms...

Why would any Sens fan want to bring PK to Ottawa?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Just watched that EK65 tribute video that is embedded in the Boqvist article in the Ottawa Sun.

Really hoping that the Sens don't trade him. Sigh.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
A 6th overall who has proven himself in the NHL as a 22 year old is worth more than a 6th overall prospect.

Zibanejad had hardly proven himself at 22. He had talent, no doubt, but struggled with consistency. Now if you want to argue we should have been patient and not moved him, fine, but let’s not act like he was amazing in his time here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Zibanejad had hardly proven himself at 22. He had talent, no doubt, but struggled with consistency. Now if you want to argue we should have been patient and not moved him, fine, but let’s not act like he was amazing in his time here.
A 22 year old with back-back 20 goal seasons and a 50 point season was certainly more proven than a 6th overall pick in the WHL. The chances that Glass does that by 22 are pretty slim.

We moved him too early, and sold low on him. Even lower when you consider that 33rd overall this season went along with him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
A 22 year old with back-back 20 goal seasons and a 50 point season was certainly more proven than a 6th overall pick in the WHL. The chances that Glass does that by 22 are pretty slim.

We moved him too early, and sold low on him. Even lower when you consider that 33rd overall this season went along with him.

Yes, Zibby was more proven than a guy much younger who hasn’t even played an nhl game. I think that’s pretty obvious. I actually might be more interested in Brannstrom than Glass actually.

Tuch
Miller/Theodore
Brannstrom
2019 first

If we have to move Karlsson, I don’t hate that return.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Zibby would have been fine as one of the team,s top 3 centers,in fact imagine we could have has a four headed monster,in Turris,Brassard,Zib and JGP.....But that would have taken money.....sniff

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes, Zibby was more proven than a guy much younger who hasn’t even played an nhl game. I think that’s pretty obvious. I actually might be more interested in Brannstrom than Glass actually.

Tuch
Miller/Theodore
Brannstrom
2019 first

If we have to move Karlsson, I don’t hate that return.
Well, that's the point...carried more value. We gave up a Zibanejad for Brassard, and teams won't include a Glass for Karlsson.

I'm expecting:
1st
2nd
Conditional pick
Brannstrom/Suzuki/Glass

Type of package. Enough to sell hope to the masses while getting bent over.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I expect Vegas to put in an offer for Karlsson so I'd be asking for Glass, Tuch, Theodore, a 2019 1st and another prospect from Vegas.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zibby would have been fine as one of the team,s top 3 centers,in fact imagine we could have has a four headed monster,in Turris,Brassard,Zib and JGP.....But that would have taken money.....sniff

How were we going to get Brassard without trading Zibanejad?

Anyways, on the topic of Karlsson, I really think if we're going to move him, we'd want to get a potential franchise player back, but what's out there that fits the bill? Carolina has 2nd OA, but is targetting forwards not D, perhaps a three way deal could work with them. Subban has been mentioned and might qualify. Draisaitl has been mentioned as a target in the past.

Sadly, I think it's more likely we get a package of nice stuff without that crown jewel we really desire.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, that's the point...carried more value. We gave up a Zibanejad for Brassard, and teams won't include a Glass for Karlsson.

I'm expecting:
1st
2nd
Conditional pick
Brannstrom/Suzuki/Glass

Type of package. Enough to sell hope to the masses while getting bent over.

That's less than what was rumoured to have fallen through because VGK were hesitant to give up Glass.

Elliotte was saying 2 firsts, a conditional pick (which if I recall he later said would be a 1st conditional on VGK re-signing Karlsson) and our choice of a prospect, and at the time it was believed that Ryan might have been included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad