Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
We gotta get a high end forward for Karlsson. Every legend had a number 2 who was a star in their own right. You can argue that they were made a star by playing with a legend, but Stone is not near the level of Esposito, Jagr, Messier, Malkin etc. If we could land that guy this summer I would​ be so stocked​. Especially if we did it without trading Chabot.

Imagine we landed Tavares... :popcorn:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

It could be amazing. Would easily throw, White + 1st + 1st + if we could sign and trade.

Hopefully Vegas wanting Wideman is true and:

Hoffman-Tavares-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Stalberg-Brassard-Burrows
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Chabot
Claesson-Ceci

Anderson
Condon

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
We gotta get a high end forward for Karlsson. Every legend had a number 2 who was a star in their own right. You can argue that they were made a star by playing with a legend, but Stone is not near the level of Esposito, Jagr, Messier, Malkin etc. If we could land that guy this summer I would​ be so stocked​. Especially if we did it without trading Chabot.

Peak Spezza was really nice with young EK.

I do love Hoffman with EK. They are so similar and deadly. That skating and that shooting.

I mean I would love us to get a Malkin for EK but that is not reality. Hoffman may be that guy.

I relish watching Hoffman and Karlsson playing 3-3 OT together. I watch every OT hoping we see that combo and they do something magical.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Peak Spezza was really nice with young EK.

I do love Hoffman with EK. They are so similar and deadly. That skating and that shooting.

I mean I would love us to get a Malkin for EK but that is not reality. Hoffman may be that guy.

I relish watching Hoffman and Karlsson playing 3-3 OT together. I watch every OT hoping we see that combo and they do something magical.

I'm actually surprised Bob Cole hasn't confused Karlsson with Hoffman yet. The fact that both their numbers start with 6 should be enough. But then you add the size and the skating.

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
“Who doesn’t admire what this kid has done?” said former NHL defenceman Larry Robinson, who was born just outside of Ottawa and is the director of player development for the San Jose Sharks. “And the big thing is he’s done it in a manner where he doesn’t take the accolades. Whenever he’s being interviewed, he’s very complimentary. He’s just a great kid. Not only a great player, he’s a good person, too.
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ated-by-few-outlast-every-other-canadian-team

:)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just find it stupid that the media is claiming this is the best Karlsson has ever been.

I'd argue he has been below average for Karlsson, just because he can't really skate backwards, and has painfully slow acceleration by his standards because of his foot.

He's still dominating, because he's the best player in the world, but by his standards, these playoffs are just okay for the guy.

Why are you judging him just in his skating.

Can't you see he is leading? That is what everyone is noticing on top of the clutch plays he is making under pressure while being punished mercilessly, on one leg.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's true too. Everything is "we" not me. He doesn't take credit for the things he does over complimenting his team play

Sometimes I almost wish he was a little less modest and more extravagant, ala Subban, so he'd get a little more exposure. I still really appreciate his low-key personality, but the Senators could use the attention!

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

Would be fan-****ing-tastic.

It would also probably cost us something difficult to lose, but as long as we kept EK, Turris, Hoffman and Stone, it would almost certainly be worth the trade, provided we could get him to extend his contract so he wasn't leaving next off season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Reports are that the Isles are ready to give him $10mil a year for 8 years.

We probably can't afford Tavares if we want to have a reasonable chance at re-signing Karlsson when his deal is up.

Most teams can't afford two $10mil players on their roster without having to purge young talent on an annual basis (like Chicago does now with guys like Saad and Teravainen).

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Reports are that the Isles are ready to give him $10mil a year for 8 years.

We probably can't afford Tavares if we want to have a reasonable chance at re-signing Karlsson when his deal is up.

Most teams can't afford two $10mil players on their roster without having to purge young talent on an annual basis (like Chicago does now with guys like Saad and Teravainen).

I wonder if Tavares would leave a little money on the table to go somewhere with a better chance to win a cup

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Sometimes I almost wish he was a little less modest and more extravagant, ala Subban, so he'd get a little more exposure. I still really appreciate his low-key personality, but the Senators could use the attention!

I don't. Because I think that's what makes him such a great captain. Subban in Montreal didn't seem well liked in the locker room or respected by his peers. While karlsson is respected like crazy, for good reason, I think it makes him a far more likeable guy. I don't think him being more flashy would bring ottawa any more support, IMO at least

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
It could be amazing. Would easily throw, White + 1st + 1st + if we could sign and trade.

Hopefully Vegas wanting Wideman is true and:

Hoffman-Tavares-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Stalberg-Brassard-Burrows
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Chabot
Claesson-Ceci

Anderson
Condon

That would be the best team in the league.. or at worst top 3.. In my opinion.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
That doesn't vault you instantly into the pantheon of regular Cup contenders.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed people in Ottawa if they think we can land John Tavares.

No wonder our management "sucks".

I believe we are absolutely in John Tavares' interest... getting him would put us at annual favorite levels and he would be the go to forward.

What do you see as a better fit?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I believe we are absolutely in John Tavares' interest... getting him would put us at annual favorite levels and he would be the go to forward.

What do you see as a better fit?

The issue is that he's a great fit on around 25 teams in the NHL.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
No respeck. Please, let's not sound like the Habs.

I am confident in this team. Hopefully the Pens play a skilled game as opposed to a dirty one. Ottawa has proven to stifle both speed and grit attacks when the game was on the line, and they have now a full regular season plus two rounds of playoffs to perfect the system, which, make no mistake, is based around EK. Ottawa's forwards are not top-5 forwards like Crosby and Malkin, but they have strengths on all forward lines headed by Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Brassard, and Pageau. Not to forget the depth forwards, especially Smith (who has yet to have that big game, so Due Doughty) and of course Big Game Burrows. Hope Stalberg is healthy.

The defense will be fine, in the same mold as they were in rounds 1 & 2, but maybe healthier and better knowing it is the Cup Finals (almost).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->