Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Interesting seeing how his profile is raising since this playoff run, especially since he was already a Norris winner, top 5 in points, etc, but it took people being "forced" to watch him deep into the playoffs for non-Sens fans to really start seeing him in a similar light that "homers" have seen him in. IE being talked about like a top 3 player with McDavid and Crosby.

Interesting side note relating to this, his Young Guns rookie card which is the main rookie card is climbing in value since this playoff run. It's still nowhere near the top guys like Crosby or McDavid, but it went from a card you could easily buy for 30 Canadian on a good day prior to the playoffs to one that looks to now be selling for 60-70 Canadian.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I know this will be an unpopular comment, and I'm certainly very appreciative and cognizant of EK's skills and efforts, but what's up with his fiance traveling to Boston and now NYC during the PLAYOFFS. Maybe this has always been going on over the years (I doubt it) but why post pics? Just seems immature or odd. Maybe some of us expect more from the modern day player, but having your boo with you on the road during this time of the year just doesn't sit well with me.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I know this will be an unpopular comment, and I'm certainly very appreciative and cognizant of EK's skills and efforts, but what's up with his fiance traveling to Boston and now NYC during the PLAYOFFS. Maybe this has always been going on over the years (I doubt it) but why post pics? Just seems immature or odd. Maybe some of us expect more from the modern day player, but having your boo with you on the road during this time of the year just doesn't sit well with me.

lolwat

Were you angry when Anderson kissed his wife after he won game 1 too?

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
His fiancee is his family.

Yeah, I get that. Like it or not, taking selfies a few hours before the game and posting them online and then getting your ass handed to you for the second game in a row raises some eyebrows.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I get that. Like it or not, taking selfies a few hours before the game and posting them online and then getting your ass handed to you for the second game in a row raises some eyebrows.

That's just how millennials roll. I don't think it affects his game preparation - once the puck is dropped Karlsson is all in.

I am far more concerned about his injury. After how he looked at the end of the second and the fact that he didn't come out for the third, I'm not at all convinced that he is going to be able to go tomorrow...

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Seems like you're looking for an issue that isn't really there.

Take a poll of NHL players, a huge chunk probably have some sort of family tagging along to watch playoff games.

Not to mention, nothing Karlsson has shown on the ice seems to indicate that he isn't giving 100 percent....

Seems to me like your problem is more with the culture of social media than anything. Which might be a valid gripe but is probably irrelevant to Karlsson's play.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006

Take a poll of NHL players, a huge chunk probably have some sort of family tagging along to watch playoff games.

Not to mention, nothing Karlsson has shown on the ice seems to indicate that he isn't giving 100 percent....

Seems to me like your problem is more with the culture of social media than anything. Which might be a valid gripe but is probably irrelevant to Karlsson's play.

I just hope there isn't a happy to be there kind of vibe going on or any sort of distraction. Does she reeeeaaaalllllly need to be there? Like she'll never get another chance to go down to NYC or something? Just makes me wonder a bit...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

I don't know how you take your selfies but for most people selfies are not a physically taxing activity.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I just hope there isn't a happy to be there kind of vibe going on or any sort of distraction. Does she reeeeaaaalllllly need to be there? Like she'll never get another chance to go down to NYC or something? Just makes me wonder a bit...

What kind of sexist thinks that women can't be hockey fans?

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
What kind of sexist thinks that women can't be hockey fans?

Huh? Keep reaching. I'd be saying the same thing if it was his brother, or nephew or buddies.

A distraction is a distraction no matter gender or relationship. Many teams/players talk about building a wall come playoff/championship game time and blocking out all distractions and focusing solely on the task at hand. Rallying around each other. The whole brotherhood type thing. No outside interferences. Channel all of your energy and focus in to the game. That's what Im getting at.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I think you're really reaching here. Until Keeping Up With the Karlsson's debuts on CTV, we'll have no idea about what kind of dynamic goes on behind closed doors with the Karlsson family, but I think a more likely situation is that like other family members she is interested in going to her husband's big playoff games, and she is from a generation that uses social media that way.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Look at many of the younger players gfs. Pageau's does the same as well.

It is just a thing girls in their early 20s do.

It is irrelevant, IMO

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Huh? Keep reaching. I'd be saying the same thing if it was his brother, or nephew or buddies.

A distraction is a distraction no matter gender or relationship. Many teams/players talk about building a wall come playoff/championship game time and blocking out all distractions and focusing solely on the task at hand. Rallying around each other. The whole brotherhood type thing. No outside interferences. Channel all of your energy and focus in to the game. That's what Im getting at.

Do you have an issue with Karlsson's commitment or effort level on the ice? Let's hear it if you do. Complaining what a player does with his girlfriend between games is really looking for a problem. Karlson manages to channel his energy on the ice better than most imo... I have never watched Karlsson and questioned his commitment to winning.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Let me get this straight...we're currently discussing EK's proclivity for pre-game selfie-taking instead of the serious injury that he's suffering from?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I know what you're getting at. It's the same as a team staying in a hotel even in their home city during the playoffs, just to keep the "band of brothers" vibe happening. A fair number of teams do it and have that 'us against the world' culture.

Personally, I don't care if the girlfriends are along or not....but advertising it (by posting in social media) just adds ammo to the haters. No point in players making anything harder on themselves.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Let me get this straight...we're currently discussing EK's proclivity for pre-game selfie-taking instead of the serious injury that he's suffering from?
No, only one person is. No need to facepalm the entire fanbase or HFBoards over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->