Erik Karlsson - 23 games, 2 goals, 15pts. -6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I had a feeling he would be done. I’d never question his talent and mind for the game but the injuries he’s gone through would take a toll on any player.

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
lot of steaming hot takes from people who don't watch the team in question

why the **** is he being judged by goals anyway? [Mod]

Calm down guy. He has not been the player that can control and dictate the pace of the game like he as done in the past. I think thats reason for discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Burns is playing twice better. Erik needs to get his game back on track.
Have you watched any Sharks games this season?
Burns is an extremely sloppy and lazy defensive player. He seriously has to be one of the worst defensive players among the top 100 defensemen in the NHL. Looks like he doesnt give a shit when he doesnt have the puck and he loses the puck in extremely dangerous situations (offensive blueline, in transition etc) pretty often...

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Calm down guy. He has not been the player that can control and dictate the pace of the game like he as done in the past. I think thats reason for discussion
yeah he has, sharks fans are telling you this since you obviously don't know
we have 2 guys like that on the blue line now playing 25 minutes a night
that's why we are at the very top of the advanced stats charts right now.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Have you watched any Sharks games this season?
Burns is an extremely sloppy and lazy defensive player. He seriously has to be one of the worst defensive players among the top 100 defensemen in the NHL. Looks like he doesnt give a **** when he doesnt have the puck and he loses the puck in extremely dangerous situations (offensive blueline, in transition etc) pretty often...
have you watched any recently? he has been lights out for a while now, cleaned up his act from the first few games. maybe the karlsson effect.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's almost laughable that some people would've easily traded Heiskanen+ to get him if they were the Stars.

He'll get better though.

People only said that about a signed Karlsson. And he still is worth that

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Ugh, the internet....

Just until recently, Sharks coaching staff realized that they should have Karlsson on the point instead of the right half boards on the PP, I'm not worried one bit that he'll reach 60-70 points in the end.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
  • 9 games into the season
  • +/- is an absurd stat. He was -2 in one game because Jones could stop a beach ball, and the other goal was an empty netter.
  • He has put up 5 assists.
  • He has a strong corsi rating.
  • He is still learning to play in the Sharks systems, and the other players are still getting used to playing with him.
Happy with Karlsson so far.

I'm just curious, since you seem to advocate corsi, at what point does +/- become relevant? I'm no fan of +/-, but it's essentially the same stat as corsi. The difference is you get a much bigger sample size from corsi. But if you like corsi at some point the +/- must reach a big enough sample size to draw your attention, no?

I mean, if a player plays 1000 games in the NHL with a negative corsi but positive +/-, don't you then say "ok, maybe this player really didn't harm the teams he played for".

Using the Oilers as an example, corsi folks talk about Kris Russell as the worst defenseman in the league but in 150+ games and three seasons with the Oilers he's just a -1. Also, comparing Larsson and Klefbom who's corsi stats are nearly identical over the last three years (Klefbom has the slight edge), Klefbom is a -6 and Larsson is a +33 in that time span.

Again, I'm no advocate for +/-, but it boggles me how often I see the same people act as if corsi is the best stat ever and +/- the worst when in fact, at some level, they are related.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'm just curious, since you seem to advocate corsi, at what point does +/- become relevant? I'm no fan of +/-, but it's essentially the same stat as corsi. The difference is you get a much bigger sample size from corsi. But if you like corsi at some point the +/- must reach a big enough sample size to draw your attention, no?

I mean, if a player plays 1000 games in the NHL with a negative corsi but positive +/-, don't you then say "ok, maybe this player really didn't harm the teams he played for".

Using the Oilers as an example, corsi folks talk about Kris Russell as the worst defenseman in the league but in 150+ games and three seasons with the Oilers he's just a -1. Also, comparing Larsson and Klefbom who's corsi stats are nearly identical over the last three years (Klefbom has the slight edge), Klefbom is a -6 and Larsson is a +33 in that time span.

Again, I'm no advocate for +/-, but it boggles me how often I see the same people act as if corsi is the best stat ever and +/- the worst when in fact, at some level, they are related.

they are both heavily team dependent. and i think both have value given we take into account the context.

Oct 18, 2011
His underlying numbers are good. He's trying to fit into a new team that doesn't revolve around him.

In short by Jan 1 he'll be where he normally is

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Don't think he wanted to be in SJ, doesn't look like he is happy there or fits into the system. He's been bad defensively for them. I seriously doubt he re-signs with SJ in the off season. Most likely go back to Ottawa. He's been average thus far, SJ doesn't look dangerous either.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Still early, but I'm not surprised he's falling short of some fans lofty projections. Karlssons days as a PPG guy are behind him imo. He'll likely be a 50-65pt guy going forward (aka a mistake for whoever signs him @ +11M long term)

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
SJ belongs to Burns, Vlasic, Pavelski, and Thornton.

I never understood the trade to begin with, from SJ perspective, you have two number one right handed defenseman in Burns and Karlsson. If one of the two was left handed, then it would make sense.

Simple, they were butthurt about missing out on JT and wanted to bring in another superstar to 1. appease the fans that expected JT and 2. their team is not good enough to win 'as is' so they needed to add regardless.

Also, your second point about the Oilels, not entirely wrong, but don't forget that Hall was an off-ice issue and had a drinking problem. I think getting traded woke his ass up and got him to clean up his act and focus on hockey. Similar to Kane getting accused of rape - no more parties, laying low by training all the time - had the best season of his career after that. So if Hall had stayed in Edmonton its likely he would have kept being 'good' but not 'great'.

Reactions: Puckluck

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Still early, but I'm not surprised he's falling short of some fans lofty projections. Karlssons days as a PPG guy are behind him imo. He'll likely be a 50-65pt guy going forward (aka a mistake for whoever signs him @ +11M long term)

Karlsson will finish the year PPG.

Book it and quote me.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I'm not saying he is playing well or anything, but he's typically a slow starter. He doesn't do a lot of summer training, which means that he is kind of slow at the start of the season and then picks it up around the 30 game mark or so. The reason he's not doing that much summer training is that he plays so much during the season, and for that reason and have trouble keeping his weight. He uses the summers to bulk up and rest mostly. I suspect he will start playing better soonish

had to go back and double check this. Statistically, this season is one of his slowest starts.

2012-13 - 2 goals and 5 assists in 9 games
2013-14 - 2 goals and 6 assists in 9 games,
2014-15 - 3 goals and 5 goals in 9 games.
2015-16 - 0 goals and 9 assists in 9 games.
2016-17 - 3 goals and 6 assists in 9 games.
2017-18 - 1 goal and 12 assists in 9 games. He didn't score his 2nd (and 3rd) goal until December 19th, or 19 games later.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I kept saying that EK was going to go on the decline and I was never upset about the fact we traded him, was just upset of how poor of a negotiator our GM is. We got out at the right time... think Redden's decline with Sens in 2000s as soon as we got rid of Chara.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
get a clue, please.
the sharks are not the sens.
they are a heavy possession, defense-first team and are damn good at it.
karlsson not scoring as much with the sharks as the sens is the most predictable thing to happen ever. heck i've been predicting it for years.

that does not mean he is not playing well, or is not helping the sharks dominate. he has been excellent in every game except perhaps the one he had the flu in.

there is only one puck to go around. the sharks have a lot of really good players.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
new team, new system, personal life has been horrible. he will be just fine.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson doesn’t want to be there, and the team doesn’t want him there. He likely misses Ottawa, and the Eastern conference. In short, he’s not a good fit. He’s probably regretting not accepting Ottawa’s offer of 11x8M. He’ll never be the same outside of Ottawa, the team catered to him and built their system around him. He traded his comfort which was Ottawa for his Ego, and now the effects are being felt. The smart thing would’ve been to accept the shortcomings of Ottawa and just stay put, and reap the benefits of the team nurturing your skill, rather than moving and learning an entirew new team and system and essentially way of life. SJ belongs to Burns, Vlasic, Pavelski, and Thornton.

I never understood the trade to begin with, from SJ perspective, you have two number one right handed defenseman in Burns and Karlsson. If one of the two was left handed, then it would make sense.

Ottawa is better without him though, you can’t revolve your entire team around one player in today’s NHL. Edmonton might have the best player in the world (McDavid), but they don’t have enough of a good supporting cast of equal elites. Trading Hall is going to forever haunt them. In Hall and McDavid, you have the best duo in the NHL today. Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Boston, Washington, and now Toronto, all have more than one superstar on their team and don’t cater to any individual specifically.

This is sort of my opinion. I said before the season started neither karlsson or burns will get much more than 60 points this year. They're going to have to share some of the prime offensive opportunities.

Its still early, but it appears all the karlsson fanbois that constantly talked about how him out there for 30 minutes a game doesn't prop up his points, and that karlsson would score even more on a better team, will be choking on a lot of crow. Ive always maintained that on a better team, where he isnt the focal point, and he has to play more disciplined hockey, and isnt spoonfed 30 minutes a night, he could very well take a major hit in his production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad