News Article: Erik Karlsson’s departure sends the Sens’ annus horribilis to new, unimaginable depths

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Long-time local sports authority Roy MacGregor's take:

For the player twice awarded (and twice runner-up for) the Norris Trophy, the Senators received from the San Jose Sharks draft picks and a gaggle of players who had to be Googled by head-shaking Ottawa fans.

In the Senators news release – slugged “Ottawa Rising” – the team called it “the most important trade" in the organization’s rebuild. Off to San Jose goes the 28-year-old Swedish defenceman in return, essentially, for younger unknowns and future possibilities. The Senators get an NHL journeyman in Chris Tierney, 24; a stay-at-home defenceman in Dylan DeMelo, 25; Latvian Rudolfs Balcers, 21, who is in the minor leagues; and a 19-year-old first-round pick in centre Josh Norris of the NCAA Michigan Wolverines. The Senators also get the Sharks' first-round pick in 2019 or 2020, depending on circumstances, and a second-round pick in 2019. As well, if the Sharks can sign Karlsson to a contract extension beyond the coming season, Ottawa will get another first-round pick in 2022.

Erik Karlsson’s departure sends the Sens’ annus horribilis to new, unimaginable depths

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What an amazing article. No punches pulled, just a complete and thorough indictment of Sens management/ownership.

Simply outstanding.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't understand what motivates Melnyk. Why cause this sort of damage to something you own?

'Destroy your multi-million dollar sports franchise to own the libs!!' I guess?

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't understand what motivates Melnyk. Why cause this sort of damage to something you own?

'Destroy your multi-million dollar sports franchise to own the libs!!' I guess?

I don't think he can deal without being able to wear the big-boy pants that comes with being an NHL franchise owner in this country.

Reactions: Senscore

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
After all the #melnykout stuff, I am honestly wondering if he is just acting out of spite now. He couldn’t stand that he is hated and Karlsson was beloved, so he ran him out of town. Basically he is trying to punish Ottawa fans for their insolence.

He’s a vile, vindictive little man. I’m not buying another ticket until he’s no longer the owner.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
After all the #melnykout stuff, I am honestly wondering if he is just acting out of spite now. He couldn’t stand that he is hated and Karlsson was beloved, so he ran him out of town. Basically he is trying to punish Ottaw fans for their insolence.

He’s a vile, vindictive little man. I’m not buying another ticket until he’s no longer the owner.
He's doing a terrible job of rectifying the deserved hatred.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
He didn't really "rip Ottawa a new one" as much as just lay out all the events of the past year in a matter-of-fact way. Not pulling any punches would have been pointing out the lies Dorion told in the press conference about the rebuild starting in February (3 months after paying so much for Duchene) and how full of crap Melnyk is for all that he's said and done (the "people were saying I was going to move the team" (no you did) BS).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He didn't really "rip Ottawa a new one" as much as just lay out all the events of the past year in a matter-of-fact way. Not pulling any punches would have been pointing out the lies Dorion told in the press conference about the rebuild starting in February (3 months after paying so much for Duchene) and how full of crap Melnyk is for all that he's said and done (the "people were saying I was going to move the team" (no you did) BS).

I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the year has been like, until it's laid out like this.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the year has been like, until it's laid out like this.

Oh yeah, for sure. One catastrophe after another, without even taking into account any hockey-related trades.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
After all the #melnykout stuff, I am honestly wondering if he is just acting out of spite now. He couldn’t stand that he is hated and Karlsson was beloved, so he ran him out of town. Basically he is trying to punish Ottawa fans for their insolence.

I think it's realistic to believe he's doing exactly that. He and Dorion have almost done the complete opposite of what the fans have wanted over and over for the last year and a half. They've kept around the players(and coach) we dislike and gotten rid of the ones we love. We also desperately want a new arena and Melnyk keeps throwing shade on the deal.

So yeah, I find it very easy to believe Melnyk wants to hurt the fans as much as possible.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->