Value of: Erik Johnson

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
At the full cap hit? Wouldn't think very much honestly
Yeah it would definitely be at his full cap hit. If Sakic is trading EJ you’d have to think it’s because he’s chasing Pietrangelo. Colorado has some good young pieces on D but EJ is just far too important to move without a plan to replace him. Plus he’s far too important to that room to move unless you’re upgrading him so I’m guessing if he’s moved it’s all part of a plan meaning it’s a cap clearing move.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah it would definitely be at his full cap hit. If Sakic is trading EJ you’d have to think it’s because he’s chasing Pietrangelo. Colorado has some good young pieces on D but EJ is just far too important to move without a plan to replace him. Plus he’s far too important to that room to move unless you’re upgrading him so I’m guessing if he’s moved it’s all part of a plan meaning it’s a cap clearing move.

That is a scary notion. I feel like in any trade he'd be almost treated as a cap dump even though he's still useful so they'd have to be pretty confident about Peitrangelo

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Why is it surprising? EJ has had injuries that either limited or knocked him out of 3 consecutive playoffs. Smart move by Sakic not to depend on this guy any longer.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A little surprising to hear this morning but Craig Custance put out an article on The Athletic stating that NHL teams believe Sakic is open to moving Erik Johnson.

NHL Trade Big Board: 22 players who could be on the move this offseason

He has a modified NTC where he selects 19 teams he can be traded to.

If made available, what’s his value?

Teamsneed to plan for ED next summer.

Teams exposing a very good one if they only protect 3 , they willl look at moving them.

I believe Major is not ED exempt because he played in playoffs his first year
Thrn there is Girad, Johmson, and Graves.

Grave or Johnson would need to be exposed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why is it surprising? EJ has had injuries that either limited or knocked him out of 3 consecutive playoffs. Smart move by Sakic not to depend on this guy any longer.
I mean look at how much he’s missed when he’s not in the lineup.

Yes he has gotten injured, but he’s a vital part of their back end. Unless there’s a replacement coming in for him there’s no chance they move him.

Reactions: DarthProbert

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
EJ for Lundqvist. Similar cap hit but you only take Lundqvist for 1 year and helps for cup run and you can sign Pietrangelo for more term

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Teamsneed to plan for ED next summer.

Teams exposing a very good one if they only protect 3 , they willl look at moving them.

I believe Major is not ED exempt because he played in playoffs his first year
Thrn there is Girad, Johmson, and Graves.

Grave or Johnson would need to be exposed.
-

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That would be shocking. Only way that makes sense if he is going hard after Pietrangelo or if he thinks EJ might be a problem when it comes to agreeing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft...

Doubt there will be much of a market for him with his recent injuries and his caphit.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
A little surprising to hear this morning but Craig Custance put out an article on The Athletic stating that NHL teams believe Sakic is open to moving Erik Johnson.

NHL Trade Big Board: 22 players who could be on the move this offseason

He has a modified NTC where he selects 19 teams he can be traded to.

If made available, what’s his value?

AVs DMen are really young and need a veteran presence. He also wanted to stay during the rebuilding phase and can't see Sakic making a trade after they've improved unless he wants out. He's worth more to the team than return from a trade.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sakic is a really really good GM, so when he "makes someone available" that surprises you all it really is is him giving teams an opportunity to do something really dumb. This isn't like a he's a goner lets find a fair trade type of thing. This is a "lets see if someone makes a big mistake" kinda thing

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sakic is a really really good GM, so when he "makes someone available" that surprises you all it really is is him giving teams an opportunity to do something really dumb. This isn't like a he's a goner lets find a fair trade type of thing. This is a "lets see if someone makes a big mistake" kinda thing
Lol. I don’t think you have inside information on Sakic like you think you do.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You don't need inside information to know the obvious ya dork.

Also I don't think anyone has insider information on that team.
You have no idea what you’re talking about and you have no clue what Johnson’s availability is, dork. :laugh:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You have no idea what you’re talking about and you have no clue what Johnson’s availability is, dork. :laugh:

Yes, I am the one who doesn't know what I am talking about Mr. Silly Man

Me: "Sakic is good at trades"

You: "oMG r u an Insidrrrrrrrrr"

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I can't imagine he's actually available, but if Joe is planning a mega "summer" and moving EJ to sign Pietrangelo... Well I just dont know anymore.

It would be a savage thing for Sakic to do, and Pietrangelo + Makar on the Right side would certainly shore up any possible defensive issues this team might have.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Imagine poor EJ getting traded from a great team for the second time in his career because he’s been replaced by Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: ljb4 and Murzu

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Imagine poor EJ getting traded from a great team for the second time in his career because he’s been replaced by Alex Pietrangelo.
EJ after getting hurt again in the playoffs while Pietro wins a cup for the Avs :
giphy.gif

Reactions: Murzu

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
"NHL teams believe Sakic is open to moving Erik Johnson" isn't exactly the same as "Sakic is actively trying to move EJ", so I'm taking this speculation with a very large grain of salt. With that said, I can see the logic behind at least exploring it as an option, given the other D we have on the roster (or coming). I'd still prefer to move Cole, but if someone is willing to make an offer for EJ, it doesn't hurt to listen.

Reactions: Richard88

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Dude has negative value, but if some suckers wants to eat his full cap hit then Sakic should make the deal imnediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->