Salary Cap: Erik Johnson

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
They pretty much played the pairings evenly last night.

I worry about the mobility of Cole-EJ together, but it could be very effective bottom pair. I thought they were solid against NY.

Frankly, the Z/Cole pairing just plain wasn't working. Got stuck in their own end way too often and Z just never looked comfortable alongside another physical stay-at-home guy.

The only combo I'd say is worse is Z/Graves.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Really? Because for a third pair, they were doing just fine, and their numbers were just fine.

Guess they didn't really pass the eye test to me. Too often I saw them get stuck after failing to advance the puck. Of course it's the eye test and I always prefer the analytics in most cases, so maybe I need to take a look at those. I know it's a third pairing and what not, so I'm not expecting elite play, but I really think Z played hesitant hockey while paired with Cole, and Cole the last 2 games or so has looked horrendous, I don't like him on the right side. Z started throwing his frame around and was much more aggressive once they moved him up with Sammy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Guess they didn't really pass the eye test to me. Too often I saw them get stuck after failing to advance the puck. Of course it's the eye test and I always prefer the analytics in most cases, so maybe I need to take a look at those. I know it's a third pairing and what not, so I'm not expecting elite play, but I really think Z played hesitant hockey while paired with Cole, and Cole the last 2 games or so has looked horrendous, I don't like him on the right side. Z started throwing his frame around and was much more aggressive once they moved him up with Sammy.
Their numbers are quite good for being used in a heavy defensive role, more so than the other two pairs. Since Jan 1, they’re at 51.87 CF%, 54% SF, and 54.55% Expected Goals for %. I think it was around that time they were stuck together, as that’s over 212 minutes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I would agree with both you and Mars on this. For a third pairing, I think it was fine if you adjust your expectations to that of a third pairing.

It was still a bit of a weak point in the pairings though that can hopefully be remedied a bit with the shuffle. When Z and Cole were together they had trouble moving and distributing the puck well consistently since it's not a strong point of either.

This lead to some bad turnovers especially because both guys are turnover prone every now and then. There has been about 3 or 4 turnovers from one of them that have directly led to extended shifts in the D zone recently.

They didn't seem to have a ton of chemistry together either, though they weren't on completely different pages. Both guys need someone with better puck skills with them IMO.

I actually think the Cole-EJ pairing has the potential to be a great playoff pairing too if they can click together a bit and stay healthy. Could really do a lot of heavy defensive lifting for the team and free up the other pairs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I would agree with both you and Mars on this. For a third pairing, I think it was fine if you adjust your expectations to that of a third pairing.

It was still a bit of a weak point in the pairings though that can hopefully be remedied a bit with the shuffle. When Z and Cole were together they had trouble moving and distributing the puck well consistently since it's not a strong point of either.

This lead to some bad turnovers especially because both guys are turnover prone every now and then. There has been about 3 or 4 turnovers from one of them that have directly led to extended shifts in the D zone recently.

They didn't seem to have a ton of chemistry together either, though they weren't on completely different pages. Both guys need someone with better puck skills with them IMO.

I actually think the Cole-EJ pairing has the potential to be a great playoff pairing too if they can click together a bit and stay healthy. Could really do a lot of heavy defensive lifting for the team and free up the other pairs.

Cole really tends to shine in the playoffs once the whistles get swallowed and quite frankly, that was what he was brought in to do. I'm not too worried about him at the moment but EJ...yeah.

I love the condor, but his salary to performance ratio is pretty damn fugly. I really want to see him win a cup with us and really don't want to see him traded after spending years being one of the few bright spots in the decade of suck. Just gotta get some bargains to afford him as a third pairing d-man for the remaining years. His play hasn't fallen enough that I want him off the team...I just want him to receive the fewest minutes possible or better yet, rebound a bit.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Why is this man still on our roster? Weber was LTIR'd by the Habs quite strategically and there are countless other examples. Some of these guys are probably in better health than Johnson if anything. What's our mgmt doing? Make the man a friggin offer he can't refuse and grow a spine.

island-Caribbean.jpg

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I thought Girard - EJ in 2017-2018 was a great, GREAT top pairing. G is 23, EJ is actually only 32-33. They can be very dominant again ! And are our SECOND pairing of you believe that.

Also, one thing that always worried me about Byram, is he was always vulnerable to being bullied (which will change as he puts on mass). Give you a tip? Having Mcdermid as his D partner, will ensure he won't be getting pushed around hahaha. It will unlock Byram to be able to be creative and confident. Y'all watch this ! He'll be right up there with Makar at some point.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Also, one thing that always worried me about Byram, is he was always vulnerable to being bullied (which will change as he puts on mass). Give you a tip? Having Mcdermid as his D partner, will ensure he won't be getting pushed around hahaha. It will unlock Byram to be able to be creative and confident. Y'all watch this ! He'll be right up there with Makar at some point.

Bowen Byram vulnerable to being bullied?

He’s the bully.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Bowen Byram vulnerable to being bullied?

He’s the bully.

Oh, he does have chirpiness, I know....they still pressure and lean on him a bit imo. Just saying I think having Mcdermid as his D partner might unleash the kid even more.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh, he does have chirpiness, I know....they still pressure and lean on him a bit imo. Just saying I think having Mcdermid as his D partner might unleash the kid even more.

Might make it less likely guys like Kolesar don't leave their feet to hit him in the head.

Gonna have to answer for it pretty quick if MacDermid is his partner.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Might make it less likely guys like Kolesar don't leave their feet to hit him in the head.

Gonna have to answer for it pretty quick if MacDermid is his partner.

EXACTLY, that's what I mean. I think Byram could be anything. Sorry for the thread hijak on EJ.

Reactions: Foppa2118

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I thought Girard - EJ in 2017-2018 was a great, GREAT top pairing. G is 23, EJ is actually only 32-33. They can be very dominant again ! And are our SECOND pairing of you believe that.

You think Johnson is worth $6M? I don't. And do you think he'll stay healthy cos I for sure don't.

So then free up that $6M and put him on LTIR so we can replace him with the fairly decent amount of cap space we have now.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
So...I thought it might be time to bump this old thread as EJ's play has come into question again. If I'm out of line for doing this, I'm sure the mods will lock it down.

So unfortunately, I'm more than a little concerned with his play, because I think even as a third pairing guy he's struggling a bit. In games, like last night against the Preds, where he has to play a much larger role, he REALLY struggles.

At this point I think this is probably Condor's final season in Colorado, and frankly, it should be. The contract is simply too much for a team with major cap issues to carry into next season. How it ends, I don't know, but it's gonna be time.

AJ kinda nailed it on what's going on with him. Injuries and age have taken away enough of his speed and strength to where he's simply not winning the puck battles he did before. And he knows this, and has tried to adjust accordingly. Unfortunately, hockey sense is not one of his strengths, so his attempts to try and beat the opposition with better positioning and anticipation have fallen flat. And his PK ability has gone from bad to horrendous. It kinda pains me to type this because he's definitely one of my all time favorites to wear the burgundy and blue, and I don't think the organization has ever had anyone who was more proud to wear that jersey. The fact that he did not hide his disdain for Matt Duchene was partially reflective of that, and he himself could have asked to leave during that disastrous season, and he chose to stay.

I know there's at least one poster in here who will vehemently disagree with my words here, and that's fine. It'd be boring here if we all agreed on the same things.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
My biggest gripe with EJ's performance is that whenever he has the puck below the goal line he always turns towards the boards if there's an ounce of pressure on him instead of simply chipping it up to the winger.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I completely disagree. EJ has been good this season and important to our recent success.

And that's fine. I mostly, but don't completely, disagree. There have been a few games here and there where he's been really good. But there have been more IMO where he just didn't have it.

I'd also say that injuries continually put him in a position where way too much is asked of him, and frankly pairing him with Jack Johnson is a mistake. Pairing him with either JJ or MacDermid is just asking for trouble. I'd really like to see what he could do with MacDonald on a regular basis, but y'know, f***ing injuries as usual...

Reactions: sethro109

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
My biggest gripe with EJ's performance is that whenever he has the puck below the goal line he always turns towards the boards if there's an ounce of pressure on him instead of simply chipping it up to the winger.

He's having real trouble protecting the puck in ways I haven't seen before, and I think that's part of him trying to make adjustments to his game that just aren't working. He just doesn't quite have the same escapability he had before.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He has been doing that a lot more this year and it has got him in trouble very often.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And that's fine. I mostly, but don't completely, disagree. There have been a few games here and there where he's been really good. But there have been more IMO where he just didn't have it.

I'd also say that injuries continually put him in a position where way too much is asked of him, and frankly pairing him with Jack Johnson is a mistake. Pairing him with either JJ or MacDermid is just asking for trouble. I'd really like to see what he could do with MacDonald on a regular basis, but y'know, f***ing injuries as usual...
I do think his biggest problems come from having a constant revolving door of partners. He's also been asked to play a lot this season and he just missed all of last season and a large portion of the previous one as well. His stamina and speed might not be what they used to be, but I feel much better when he's on the ice instead of JJ, Murray, MacDermid, MacDonald, Barron and definitely Gross.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I do think his biggest problems come from having a constant revolving door of partners. He's also been asked to play a lot this season and he just missed all of last season and a large portion of the previous one as well. His stamina and speed might not be what they used to be, but I feel muslch better when he's on the ice instead of JJ, Murray, MacDermid, MacDonald, Barron and definitely Gross.

I don't know why you're lumping in MacNorris. Apart from one major f***up where he dropped down into the play right when Burakovsky made a bad turnover, he's been more than solid in limited capacity, both as a d-man and a forward.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's really bad and severely overpaid. But I dont think we ever trade him or buy him out unfortunately.

I'd love to have him on the team at like $1.5M to be the 3rd pairing RHD and 2nd unit PK guy. But at 6M and playing Top 4 minutes he's a liability. Simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->