Erik Johnson vs Jack Johnson

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Both top american D prospects.

who can give me a good comparison of the 2?

Will Erik go top 3 in the draft upcoming?

Does he have as much upside as Jack ?

I've been much more impressed with Erik than Jack. Jack seems to be more physical but Erik seems to have more speed, better skills and a better head for the game. He looks like he really knows how to play the game. If I had to choose one or the other, I would go with Erik at this point. And yes, I don't see how he doesn't go top 3 at the draft, and I think he has more upside than Jack Johnson.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Erik and Jack are both very talented.

If i had to choose, I'd take Erik, if i were a team like columbus or pitt I would take him 1st overall.

If I'm the blues I'd probably take Kessel first overall.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Jack Johnson has been referred to by some as the next Bobby Orr. Obviously, there are questions that would arise out of a comparison like that, but calling Jack a poor man's Bobby Orr probably isn't that far off.

And the way he's ripped it up in the NCAA this year would make me think I'd want him.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Pete Rock said:
Jack Johnson has been referred to by some as the next Bobby Orr. Obviously, there are questions that would arise out of a comparison like that, but calling Jack a poor man's Bobby Orr probably isn't that far off.

And the way he's ripped it up in the NCAA this year would make me think I'd want him.

Bingo. I'm sorry, Erik might look more impressive in their short WJC stints so far but Jack is the complete package as well plus he has been absolutely dominating at the NCAA level as a freshman.

That's not to say Erik is the wrong answer or that somebody might just see something even more special in him but at this point I'd personally pick JJ.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Both top american D prospects.

who can give me a good comparison of the 2?

Will Erik go top 3 in the draft upcoming?

Does he have as much upside as Jack ?
I think Jack Johnson is a much better singer/songwriter - at this point anyways :sarcasm:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Foppa said:
Bingo. I'm sorry, Erik might look more impressive in their short WJC stints so far but Jack is the complete package as well plus he has been absolutely dominating at the NCAA level as a freshman.

That's not to say Erik is the wrong answer or that somebody might just see something even more special in him but at this point I'd personally pick JJ.

Jack Johnson isn't the first freshman defenceman to rip up the NCAA. It happens quite often. So to use that as your judgement is flawed reasoning. You could say that about several other players that never went on to do anything at all. Until either Johnson has done something at the NHL level it is all purely speculation and personal preference, nothing more.

As for the person that said Brendl has more upside than Staal, I would have to disagree there. Brendl may have more natural talent, but there is a lot more to upside than natural talent. How about brains, vision, heart, etc, etc. All things that Brendl does not have, hence the reason why he isn't an NHL regular.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Haven't seen too much of Erik, but to me Jack is just plain dominant. He does it all.

Hopefully I'll get to see more of Erik, but right now I'll take Jack without thinking twice.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kritty said:
Jack Johnson isn't the first freshman defenceman to rip up the NCAA. It happens quite often. So to use that as your judgement is flawed reasoning. You could say that about several other players that never went on to do anything at all. Until either Johnson has done something at the NHL level it is all purely speculation and personal preference, nothing more.

As for the person that said Brendl has more upside than Staal, I would have to disagree there. Brendl may have more natural talent, but there is a lot more to upside than natural talent. How about brains, vision, heart, etc, etc. All things that Brendl does not have, hence the reason why he isn't an NHL regular.

Name another freshman defenseman that has averaged over a PPG in a conference like the one Michigan plays in.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Thats gotta be the most nonsensical, sensitive because he's your own prospect garbage I've seen in a while.

And that is probably the biggest overreaction to a benign post that i've seen in a while.

I honestly don't see why you reacted the way you did about that statement. It was only meant to show that "upside" is an extremely overrated quality when it's about as atainable as jumping and grabbing the moon.

I didn't compare Erik Johnson to Pavel Brendl in terms of development, I simply stated that talent in the hand is worth double the talent in the bush, depending upon your outlook. Whereas some would prefer a player like Pavel Brendl at the start of his career over a player like Andrew Ladd at the start of his career. In hindsight, it appears that Ladd is going to be a more solid bet to play NHL hockey for a living than is Brendl, who probably has double the offensive talent of Ladd.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Kritty said:

That's speaking in hindsight though. My model wasn't meant as an exact representation of the situation, I was only trying to point out the obvious flaw in projecting "upside" as the more valuable commodity when dealing with prospects than their actual play now.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Erik and Jack will both be #1 type D men...

Erik is just a little bit better all around, and I've seen a fair amount of each of them. I like erik's positioning better, he's almost never out of place, they both will be scrorers.

it's like 1a and 1b....both guys are winners, but if i had them in a madden rating lol... id go erik johnson 96, jack johnson 95...it's that close imo.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Pete Rock said:

I don't know about Orr but he sure looks alot like a young Potvin. He has to learn a little bit more about positional play but this kid is unreal and solid in every area. His coach has called him a power forward on D and for the way he plays I couldn't think of a better description.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'll just add my opinion to this thread...!!!! :

I'd take Jack or Erik anyday on my Habs!!!! Anyday!! :handclap: :jump: :handclap:
IMO, they're both going to be dominant defensemen in the NHL (almost 100% sure!! ;) :jump: ).

Easy Prediction!! :amazed: :) :jump: : Erick Johnson will get drafted TOP 3 in 2006 Draft (for sure!!).

I don't know how (and I don't think it will happen!?), but I really hope (somehow) that the Habs can trade up to have a TOP 3 or TOP 5 pick selection in this year's draft... :jump: :jump:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad