Erik Haula...Does he have an NHL future?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's tearing it up but he's in the USHL after spending a year in Minnesota's top prep school. He tumbled into the 7th round because of size issues but apparently he's doing really good with the Lancers, defensively, offensively. I know he won't be even sniffing the AHL for a few years but do you think he could make it?

There had to be more reasons why a guy rated so highly fell all the way down to the last round of the draft.

Felix29

He has just as much of an NHL future as any other drafted player.

Haula does not represent his drafted position. Regardless of ones views on the overall talent of the USHL, it is not a league that is easily transitioned to from the high school ranks. Haula didn't look out of place from day 1 and has been tearing up the USHL.

Points and stats are one thing, but Haula is a threat every shift. His puck pursuit and drive to the net are fun to watch. His speed and skating separates him from alot of players in the USHL. I'd expect the move to the NCAA and Minnesota next season to be just as smooth.

It was a crock that he didn't make Finland's WJC squad this year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
A few things that are going for him. He is putting up points. He did not stumble out of the gates. He is keeping it going. As one of the best in the USHL.

A few going against him. He is all ready drafted. Some top players play in the USHL their draft year or before. If the NHL is in his future. As a non "project" type. Hulking d man or super power forward. He should be doing what he is doing.

With that. There are several people high on Kristo and he was in the USHL after his draft year. So this one will just take some time. He needs to come in and make a statement his freshmen year. Then the hype and the Wild actaully finding a gem rumors can really kick in.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
6'0" 175 lbs isn't small for his age. Yeah, he needs to bulk up. But that'll come soon enough.

How much bulk does the average college prospect gain over the course of their career? I figure Haula will be with the Gophers for the long haul, so he has plenty of time, but can someone who pays attention to college hockey give an average number of pounds?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How much bulk does the average college prospect gain over the course of their career? I figure Haula will be with the Gophers for the long haul, so he has plenty of time, but can someone who pays attention to college hockey give an average number of pounds?

5-20 pounds. Giving he could be a freshmen this year that number will be a bit lower. Mike Carmen a current senior was listed at 6'0 and 175 as a freshmen. He is now listed at 192. He might not grow a lot in actual pounds. Several gophers make large gains in the weight room. Wheeler actually lost weight here but got quicker, faster and stronger.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
5-20 pounds. Giving he could be a freshmen this year that number will be a bit lower. Mike Carmen a current senior was listed at 6'0 and 175 as a freshmen. He is now listed at 192. He might not grow a lot in actual pounds. Several gophers make large gains in the weight room. Wheeler actually lost weight here but got quicker, faster and stronger.

Thanks, I've always wondered about that.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I was just thinking about him yesterday and going to ask about him. I haven't seen him play since the world juniors a couple of years ago, but looking at the stats, he seems to have improved every year. It would be great to see him with Granlund in Houston.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We're all pretty sure that the Powe/Palmieri for Rupp trade was done, at least in part, to open up a contract spot to sign Haula after the college season. He's been absolutely terrific these past two years at the U.

If he turns pro and signs, he'll go to the AHL. As far as next year, I'm not sure, it depends on a lot of things: how does Granlund look at training camp? Do we re-sign Cullen? Do we keep Haula as a center or try and move him to wing?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
We're all pretty sure that the Powe/Palmieri for Rupp trade was done, at least in part, to open up a contract spot to sign Haula after the college season. He's been absolutely terrific these past two years at the U.

If he turns pro and signs, he'll go to the AHL. As far as next year, I'm not sure, it depends on a lot of things: how does Granlund look at training camp? Do we re-sign Cullen? Do we keep Haula as a center or try and move him to wing?
Can you or someone else do some kind of a scouting report?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Haula is an incredible college hockey player. In my opinion he has been far and away the best player on a STACKED Gopher team this year that includes guys like Nick Bjugstad, Kyle Rau, Zach Budish, Nate Condon etc.

His two perceived "weaknesses" early in his Gopher career were a lack of consistent scoring and an unwillingness to shoot the puck, but he has since turned those into strengths. He's been the most consistent player on the team, scoring in all but 5 of the 33 games he has played in. He also shoots the puck more than anyone on the team. He has 127 shots which is second to Nick Bjugstad's 132, but Haula missed 3 games with hand injury. After his freshman year, the Gopher coaches made it clear that he needed to start shooting the puck more and since then he's been a different player. He's great on the power play and the penalty kill and there's very little he can't do at the college level.

The question is how will it translate to the pros? He's a little undersized and he doesn't really have any elite skills other than maybe his hockey sense. He's a very good passer and he really sees the ice well. He's not incredibly fast but he has a very accurate shot and he knows when to use it. He's a guy that does everything well and I wouldn't be surprised if he found success at the NHL level.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Haula is an incredible college hockey player. In my opinion he has been far and away the best player on a STACKED Gopher team this year that includes guys like Nick Bjugstad, Kyle Rau, Zach Budish, Nate Condon etc.

His two perceived "weaknesses" early in his Gopher career were a lack of consistent scoring and an unwillingness to shoot the puck, but he has since turned those into strengths. He's been the most consistent player on the team, scoring in all but 5 of the 33 games he has played in. He also shoots the puck more than anyone on the team. He has 127 shots which is second to Nick Bjugstad's 132, but Haula missed 3 games with hand injury. After his freshman year, the Gopher coaches made it clear that he needed to start shooting the puck more and since then he's been a different player. He's great on the power play and the penalty kill and there's very little he can't do at the college level.

The question is how will it translate to the pros? He's a little undersized and he doesn't really have any elite skills other than maybe his hockey sense. He's a very good passer and he really sees the ice well. He's not incredibly fast but he has a very accurate shot and he knows when to use it. He's a guy that does everything well and I wouldn't be surprised if he found success at the NHL level.

That's what scares me about Haula .... he gives me the "MEH" feeling. Everything seems like another future 3rd line player at best.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
That's what scares me about Haula .... he gives me the "MEH" feeling. Everything seems like another future 3rd line player at best.

I would :banana::pickle: if we got a 3rd liner in the 7th round.

Haula has the sense. Which in many cases is more than enough. Hoeffel and Pat White IMHO have NHL caliber shots. Neither could figure out when to get it off, when to use discretion as to shot to score or shot for the rebound, to take some off and make sure it gets through, when to lower your head and go for the boom, how to create a better angle to wait for screen etc... Haula has a nice shot but it gets through. Thats the important part.

Haula has shown a desire to get better. To work on little things and he is not done yet. I doubt there is anyting major yet to come, but i like his game and his chances at the next level.

Billy Mays Here*

It's not so much his size that will hinder him, it's the fact that he's going to have to beat out a lot of NHLers as well as highly touted prospects like Granlund, Coyle, Larsson, Zucker, etc. to ever make this roster.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's not so much his size that will hinder him, it's the fact that he's going to have to beat out a lot of NHLers as well as highly touted prospects like Granlund, Coyle, Larsson, Zucker, etc. to ever make this roster.

I'm hoping Haula would become 3rd liner. Granlund,Zucker and Coyle will probably be on the top-6. There should be room for him if improves well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad