Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson v.2 traded to Montreal

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Reminder: they chose to waive Ghost, having a stellar season, over Gustafsson because they didn’t want to risk Gus being claimed. Financial realities aside, they took on that risk over what is now a 7th rounder.

And people don’t think Fletcher wins in the margins!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Reminder: they chose to waive Ghost, having a stellar season, over Gustafsson because they didn’t want to risk Gus being claimed. Financial realities aside, they took on that risk over what is now a 7th rounder.

Really fascinating to watch people manage to defend this guy.

All he does is bleed value at every chance he gets. Constantly. It's the only possible future this team has under him.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I don’t know what’s more surprising, that the Flyers got something for him, or that Montreal wanted him

Reactions: Amorgus

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
upload_2021-4-12_18-15-25.gif

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Biggest asset in this trade is the ipen contract slot. Flyers were at 50 before today. Maybe they cn now signcates/Attard

Reactions: chadateit

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
Opens a slot and dumps a mistake, with a 2 year hangover.
I don't understand that: Gustafsson's contract is for one year, ending this year, no? The retained money is this year only, isn't it? Or are you referring to something else?

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
So we bought a 7th round pick for 50% of the remainder of Gustafsson’s salary.

41 games on the roster divided by 56 total games = 73% played with 27% remaining. 27% times $3,000,000 salary is roughly $800,000. We retained half of that. So by my math we essentially paid $400,000 for a 7th round pick. Call me crazy, but that seems like bad asset management. Should have just traded him for “future considerations” or made the 7th round pick conditional.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

What risk? At the time Ghost was playing meh. And he's still a 3rd pair guy.
So either they get out from under his contract (and make it more likely Seattle takes Voracek or JVR) or they have a little cap flexibility going into the TDL.

They need to clear real cap room (Laughton got a raise about equal to what they'll save by replacing Raffl with a kid on an ELC).
Whether they sign or trade for a top four RHD, we're talking $5-8M or so.

NHL doesn't allow you to roll cap money forward like the NFL.
So Gus was a waste, but not one with future ramifications.

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
The alternative was to pay him 800k to eat the suite popcorn.
Yeah I get that the alternative is worse. I’m just trying to point out the colossal waste of cap space Gustafson was. He was so bad we couldn’t give him away for free, yet Fletcher decided to waive Ghost instead.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So we bought a 7th round pick for 50% of the remainder of Gustafsson’s salary.

41 games on the roster divided by 56 total games = 73% played with 27% remaining. 27% times $3,000,000 salary is roughly $800,000. We retained half of that. So by my math we essentially paid $400,000 for a 7th round pick. Call me crazy, but that seems like bad asset management. Should have just traded him for “future considerations” or made the 7th round pick conditional.

You have to consider the intangibles of that 7th round pick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah I get that the alternative is worse. I’m just trying to point out the colossal waste of cap space Gustafson was. He was so bad we couldn’t give him away for free, yet Fletcher decided to waive Ghost instead.

We couldn't give Ghost away either, people wanted money retained. That's why Fletcher was confident Ghost wouldn't be claimed.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What risk? At the time Ghost was playing meh. And he's still a 3rd pair guy.
So either they get out from under his contract (and make it more likely Seattle takes Voracek or JVR) or they have a little cap flexibility going into the TDL.

They need to clear real cap room (Laughton got a raise about equal to what they'll save by replacing Raffl with a kid on an ELC).
Whether they sign or trade for a top four RHD, we're talking $5-8M or so.

NHL doesn't allow you to roll cap money forward like the NFL.
So Gus was a waste, but not one with future ramifications.

At the time, Ghost was playing well. Like he's played all season. It was a debacle of a decision only spared by the fact that a lot of other GMs are also pretty stupid. When they're hunting for improvements at D in the market they're going to regret passing.

Hockey Guys aren't brilliant people.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Or you can think of it as salvaging $400,000 on what would have otherwise been a sunk cost and getting a 7th rounder to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->