Value of: Erik Gustafsson in UFA

Jun 15, 2007
1) How much do you think he gets ?

He looks like Chicago's best defenseman at times and he's only 27 so this contract will pretty much be all prime years

2) Will it be with Chicago?

Chicago has 11m in cap space next season coming off the books with Crawford and Lehner but then they Debrincat's raise digging into that and they have to find another goalie.

They might not have space for Gustafsson if he wants too much.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
People thought RFAs and UFAs would get paid this offseason but most didn't. I think it depends on how much cap space GMs have to foolishly piss away.

Assuming he has another strong season, 4-5m on a 3-4 year deal max. If the Hawks don't trade him at the deadline, he'll get 5mx5 from them

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
if he gets 50+ pts again, i would say someone would give him like 4x$5.5-6.0

he doesnt have much of a resume outside of last year and presumably this year, but you still cant lowball 50-60 pt production on the open market for a dman who is only 27. he probably wont get a very long term deal but probably something a little lower in AAV but similar years to the Shattenkirk deal

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

He looks like Chicago's best defenseman at times and he's only 27 so this contract will pretty much be all prime years

Chicago has 11m in cap space next season coming off the books with Crawford and Lehner but then they Debrincat's raise digging into that and they have to find another goalie.

What he gets as a UFA will depend on his play this year. Was last year a fluke or was it what he is now? I'd imagine he has the most to gain or lose this year as any pending UFA.

As for staying with the Hawks, it's unclear. The better he plays, the more he costs and thus the harder to keep him. But of course the better he plays, the more you want to keep him. I'd lean towards him not coming back, but who knows. Hawks have some good d prospects coming up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He looks like Chicago's best defenseman at times
What? He can't defend. He doesn't suck with the puck, but how is he the best defenseman exactly? Stat sheet scouting at its finest, I say.

he's only 27
Only 27? Maybe that feels a little, because at 26 he didn't have a regular roster spot, a borderline minor leaguer. And at 25 he was not even borderline.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
8 x 8 the hawks end up trading boqvist for a “veteran read as really bad” 3rd liner

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If he gets 50 +again hes getting a whole lot more than 4.5 mill lol

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Assuming Josi stays with Nashville, only Brodie and Krug are better LHDs that may be available.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
If he gets 50 +again hes getting a whole lot more than 4.5 mill lol
Agree. He hasnt been in the NHL for very long but if he can do something close to what he did last season and keep the same underlying numbers, i would be shocked if he doesnt get 6-7m*4 years for example from Chicago or another team.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Lehner will likely be their long term goalie and Boqvist will replace Gustafsson.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Agree. He hasnt been in the NHL for very long but if he can do something close to what he did last season and keep the same underlying numbers, i would be shocked if he doesnt get 6-7m*4 years for example from Chicago or another team.
Yeah just dont see how it doesnt happen barring significant drop off. Not like 4x6.5-7 is a bad deal for that production

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
What? He can't defend. He doesn't suck with the puck, but how is he the best defenseman exactly? Stat sheet scouting at its finest, I say.

Only 27? Maybe that feels a little, because at 26 he didn't have a regular roster spot, a borderline minor leaguer. And at 25 he was not even borderline.

Even though he is bad defensively he is still their best defenseman. No one else on that blueline does much. And no Keith isn’t very good anymore.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Even though he is bad defensively he is still their best defenseman. No one else on that blueline does much. And no Keith isn’t very good anymore.

Without stepping on the ice yet, Calvin deHaan is probably our best dman right now

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Given a lack of success prior to his breakout year, I could easily see him scoring well through the mid-part of the season before the Hawks re-sign him to something like a 3 year $14m contract. You'd think security is EG's priority right now with only $3m in career earnings to date but it'd be a big leap of faith by Chicago to hand out a long term just yet, wouldn't it?

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
He will get 6M+ as UFA if he hits 55pts+. Hes pretty much chicagos #1 dman, this season and last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad