Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Just as advertised. I have the feeling that with you guys, it is the first time he is able to play in a system and with teammates that suit him and the fans' expectations correspond to what he can bring to the team. He is overpaid, no doubt, but great to hear that you are happy with him. Would love to see him and your team in the POs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Just as advertised. I have the feeling that with you guys, it is the first time he is able to play in a system and with teammates that suit him and the fans' expectations correspond to what he can bring to the team. He is overpaid, no doubt, but great to hear that you are happy with him. Would love to see him and your team in the POs

If (and it is an if) he keeps up his current play I wouldn’t even say he’s that overpaid. Currently he’s playing like a legit number 4 and $4M is about in line with what you would expect a 2nd pairing defensive D would get.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
If (and it is an if) he keeps up his current play I wouldn’t even say he’s that overpaid. Currently he’s playing like a legit number 4 and $4M is about in line with what you would expect a 2nd pairing defensive D would get.
As a number 4, IMO he needs to be more productive offensively nowadays, If he scored around 20-25 points than yes

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yup, 2.5 would be very fair contract for him and the team, imo. It`s not an albatros, but a bit overpaid. In any case, I have never in a game situation looked at him and though: damn, this guy is overpaid.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I really like him on our team. One of our problems defensively is that we have too much finesse and not enough grit. That's what makes Manson one of our more important defenders. Lindholm and Fowler have more skill with the puck, but our top 4 is too soft without Manson. In that light, I see Gubranson as a Manson lite for us. He adds a needed physical element but he also seems aware of his limitations so he often passes the puck off to Fowler which makes the pairing work well, I think at least. Because we have LTIR cap room, his contract doesn't bother me at all. I'm comfortable with him as our #4 D man.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hes like a perfect 5(but can play in top 4)… ideally wed grab someone like Vatanen/risto
and run with
Lindholm Manson- Shutdown pair
Fowler Vatanen/risto- Offensive pair
Larsson/MDZ Gudbranson- 2nd shutdown pair

Spread dzone starts/pk/hard mins with 1/3 pairing... and let fowler and the RHD take full advantage of offensive starts. Granted I doubt we make that kind of move this year.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Hes like a perfect 5(but can play in top 4)… ideally wed grab someone like Vatanen/risto
and run with

Spread dzone starts/pk/hard mins with 1/3 pairing... and let fowler and the RHD take full advantage of offensive starts. Granted I doubt we make that kind of move this year.
I'm not really a fan of pairing Fowler with another offensive guy. Not a fan of the balance and has not really worked in the past.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not really a fan of pairing Fowler with another offensive guy. Not a fan of the balance and has bit really worked in the past.
The problem before was coaches tried to put them in situations that didn't benefit them.... if you do it now Eakins would use the mostly in Ozone/neutral starts/Powerplay time.... where they can use their skating to avoid getting trapped in the zone.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I have to agree that I don't really prefer Fowler with another offensive guy either. I like the idea of a stay at home, defense first, type with him to free him up to take more offensive chances. As a theoretical conversation, if we still had Vatanen I would rather go with...

Lindholm / Manson - Shutdown pair
Fowler / Gudbranson - Balanced pair
Larsson / Vatanen - Balanced pair

I think pairings that mirrored that balance would be ideal.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I have to agree that I don't really prefer Fowler with another offensive guy either. I like the idea of a stay at home, defense first, type with him to free him up to take more offensive chances. As a theoretical conversation, if we still had Vatanen I would rather go with...

Lindholm / Manson - Shutdown pair
Fowler / Gudbranson - Balanced pair
Larsson / Vatanen - Balanced pair

I think pairings that mirrored that balance would be ideal.

Fowler should be paired in a line with getslaf, guhle. The reason for this is because Fowler can take the puck and go down low, this would allow bald to shift to the point and guhle is guhle...he can just play defense and nothing else.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fowler should be paired in a line with getslaf, guhle. The reason for this is because Fowler can take the puck and go down low, this would allow bald to shift to the point and guhle is guhle...he can just play defense and nothing else.

Guhle can play D and nothing else?

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The problem before was coaches tried to put them in situations that didn't benefit them.... if you do it now Eakins would use the mostly in Ozone/neutral starts/Powerplay time.... where they can use their skating to avoid getting trapped in the zone.

So what you're really saying is you're making Fowler to be part of the bottom pair, limiting his minutes and, thereby, reducing the offensive opportunities he may have at ES because he'll only be used on OZ starts with another finesse player next to him? Then take into context that we're on the PK more than we are on the PP, you'll be reducing Fowler's minutes even more.

Gudz is Fowler's bouncer. Gudz is more physical than MDZ. If we're planning on putting Fowler on the ice more, then are we served best by putting a physical defenseman next to him to clear the front of the net. I never thought that Gudz would be a 2nd pairing because of all of the info we got was Gudz was a fringe third pairing D from Pitt. But Gudz looked very good next to Lindholm.

We've seen last year and this year that Fowler isn't a 1D. We've also seen that he doesn't mesh well with Lindholm, who also is developing his offensive game. Fowler's had a merry-go-round of partners as well as swapping from RD to LD. Putting Gudz with Fowler turned out to be roses. Gudz is a veteran defensive-D and knows his role here in Anaheim, which is very simplified because we're asking him to be the best defensive-D who can chip in once in a while. We've finally found a great partner for Fowler that benefits the team as Gudz is a +8.

Remember the time the coaches separated the Lindholm-Manson pairing? Why did they split a great combo?! To be better balanced? Yeah... to accommodate Fowler as a top pairing D-man. It still didn't work. Once old school Murray became head coach, he went with what worked before and swallowed his pride to know that Fowler is a 2nd pairing guy that needs to be sheltered.

I don't trust Eakins. He's working off of the foundation that Murray created last year. Eakins made our PP inept. LoL

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
and run with

I frankly don't understand the Risto love. Fowler and Risto are putting up nearly identical numbers so far this season (yes, Risto seems to have gotten some religion defensively). Fowler is performing offensively because of the new system and because he's been playing with a partner that he doesn't have to constantly cover for, except for with Guhle. I'm perfectly content with Guds as his partner, and I believe it'll make Fowler's numbers improve. We don't need Ristolainen - we need forward that produce more.

Reactions: DavidBL

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Rumors are Ducks could trade him for prospects or whatever they can get due to his salary? Is this even a possibility?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Rumors are Ducks could trade him for prospects or whatever they can get due to his salary? Is this even a possibility?

Why would they? He has been VERY solid for this team. I thought there were rumors of the cap going up a bit too.

I would rate Guds over Manson IMO. Manson has been very inconsistent all season, and it's shocking to me that they won't budge on trading him

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Honestly, if Manson can return to form next year (big IF, I know), and Gudbranson can remain as solid as he has been,

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson

is not a bad Top 4 next year, especially with a full year playing under Eakins at that point.

Never thought Manson would be the wild card in that bunch, though.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I believe Guds would also fill the bill of an exposable D-man when the time comes for ED. That would allow BM to protect 7F 3D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad