Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I noticed this, too. It seems like he's almost scared to have the puck on his stick in the defensive zone.
Not the offensive defenseman so not surprised. Just a big body or wall to guard the goal. I don't think you can expect more from him. I guess the key factor is if he can stay healthy.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Not the offensive defenseman so not surprised. Just a big body or wall to guard the goal. I don't think you can expect more from him. I guess the key factor is if he can stay healthy.

He got injured a lot more in his early days, fighting quite often and going for the big hits. He really tuned that down becoming more efective in general and spending more time on the ice than the IR

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Hi Ducks fans,
may I please ask you for an update how Guds has looked in the last games? Highlights and stats watching only gives so much...
Seems his numbers are solid (quite unnoticeable which should not be a bad thing for a Dman of his type) and no really bad looks in the highlights.

Thanks a lot in advance, your feedback is much appreciated!

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Hi Ducks fans,
may I please ask you for an update how Guds has looked in the last games? Highlights and stats watching only gives so much...
Seems his numbers are solid (quite unnoticeable which should not be a bad thing for a Dman of his type) and no really bad looks in the highlights.

Thanks a lot in advance, your feedback is much appreciated!
He's been pretty steady and reliable for the most part. He knows his limitations and isn't out of position very often and hasn't been a pylon. Most of his mistakes come when the puck is on his stick, i.e. panicky errant pass up the middle, trying to use the boards/glass to clear too much. I said in a GDT I was pleasantly surprised with his offensive acumen. He'll never put up the points, but he's got a heavy shot and is not afraid to blast away when he has a lane, but definitely plays conservatively. He can get the puck through consistently, which is something the blueline has a hard time doing generally.

Overall he's been a good addition for a depleted D corps. When they're healthy again, he'll be good in the bottom 4, ideally on the 3rd pair.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
He's been pretty steady and reliable for the most part. He knows his limitations and isn't out of position very often and hasn't been a pylon. Most of his mistakes come when the puck is on his stick, i.e. panicky errant pass up the middle, trying to use the boards/glass to clear too much. I said in a GDT I was pleasantly surprised with his offensive acumen. He'll never put up the points, but he's got a heavy shot and is not afraid to blast away when he has a lane, but definitely plays conservatively. He can get the puck through consistently, which is something the blueline has a hard time doing generally.

Overall he's been a good addition for a depleted D corps. When they're healthy again, he'll be good in the bottom 4, ideally on the 3rd pair.

Thanks a lot for your feedback which is a pretty good description of his overall play IMO. Happy to hear that he performs adequately.

I'd like him to jump on the rush more often even if his stick skills are limited - he has the skating ability to keep up with the forwards and to recover coming back. But I have the feeling this is not what your team really needs right now.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Last nights game he appeared to be not be checking and a little lackluster in his play. He just looked dazed and confused at times and going into St. Louis he needs to get recharged quickly for this road trip.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd like him to jump on the rush more often even if his stick skills are limited - he has the skating ability to keep up with the forwards and to recover coming back. But I have the feeling this is not what your team really needs right now.

Guds does have the green light to jump on the rush and he has done it. Now, that skating ability you talk highly about... I don't see it. Right now, Guds is playing in a top pairing role. Once the defense gets healthy, he'll be on the bottom pairing. He will actually make the defense that much better going from top pairing to bottom pairing.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Guds does have the green light to jump on the rush and he has done it. Now, that skating ability you talk highly about... I don't see it. Right now, Guds is playing in a top pairing role. Once the defense gets healthy, he'll be on the bottom pairing. He will actually make the defense that much better going from top pairing to bottom pairing.

That is where he belongs in the end. But the good thing about him is that occasionally he can fill in on the top 3-4.

About his skating: agility is definitely not his strength (rather a weakness). But watching him going straight forward, he is among the fastest in the league and can keep up with most forwards - he hardly ever gets cleanly beaten in a straight ahead footrace.

I wish he had a bit of creativity / capability with his stick

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Last nights game he appeared to be not be checking and a little lackluster in his play. He just looked dazed and confused at times and going into St. Louis he needs to get recharged quickly for this road trip.

That happens to him and probably is one of his biggest weaknesses - the reason why I want to see him in the POs on a constant basis where he is most consistent.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why does Guds get the instigator plus game misconduct? The other guy dropped the gloves first!
He sought him out on the ice after the hit and cross checked him until he dropped the gloves. He absolutely instigated. It’s just not a call you see getting made much any more.

it wasn’t a game misconduct, just a misconduct. Instigator is 2 + 5 + 10.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Honestly feel bad for the guy. His draft pedigree and his contract make him a magnet for criticism (somewhat deservedly so), but if he were paid ~$1.5 million a year and limited to 3rd pairing/PK duties (or give him a lot of O-zone starts with Fowler), then I think he'd be a pretty useful player. He's huge, strong, very tough, and he is surprisingly not a terrible skater. I will say that when he has the puck on his stick in the defensive zone, he tends to almost seize up and just do anything he can to get the puck away from himself, which has obviously caused some ugly mistakes. He gets a bad rap, but I think he is an NHL player, although I wouldn't want 2 Gudbranson's on my team in today's game.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I really like Gudz with Fowler b/c Fowler needs a bouncer to pair with him. Also, Gudz knows his role very well and doesn't stray too far away from it. One more positive factor is that Fowler remains on his shooting side, the left side.

If Manson is on the first pairing and Gudz on the second pairing, then we're resigned to having Holzer as the third pairing RHD. I don't mind Holzer being the third pairing D-man, but the problem with that is he needs a strong LHD. Guhle is still in the middle stage of growing his hair out, where you know it looks awkward because you know he's trying to grow it out and won't look good until it gets there. Larsson is a step behind Guhle. MDZ might be a better fit because he knows his role as well as has enough experience.

Getting a top-4 RHD during the season won't happen b/c teams would like to keep them too. The only top-4 RHD available are overpriced defensemen on teams where they have better talent above said top-4 RHD. That's how we ended up with Gudz. LoL

We almost didn't get Gudz b/c we signed Luca Sbisa and sent him down to San Diego, which made Luca available to be picked off. That process didn't make sense because Luca was a free agent and any team could have picked him up to play at the NHL level, but it did happen when the Jets took him off of waivers. That set off a domino effect that we didn't know yet when injuries kept hitting our d-line. That forced GM Murray's hand to trade for Gudz at his full price (meaning Pitt could have paid for part of Gudz salary).

We're kinda stuck right now. The trade deadline could be the place to nab a top-4 defenseman (side doesn't matter), but it could be too costly. GM Murray doesn't deal with rentals. Even though Eaves and Henrique were on the last year of their contracts, Murray had an inkling to re-sign them. Cogs was traded away for the younger Shore on a team friendly contract and will be RFA. Pettersson was traded away for Sprong, who was under contract for two seasons and Pettersson had to be re-signed at the end of the year. I don't see Murray trading away a first round pick. I don't see Murray trading away a Zegras, Tracey, or Dostal, who still give the illusion of potential grandeur whereas the luster has fallen off of Terry, Jones, Comtois, and Lundestrom.

My hope for Gudz is that once Manson returns, then Gudz starts to take after Manson's type of play to be rejuvinated. Gudz is the same age as Manson, so there could be a possibility of increased of level of play. The increase doesn't have to be monumental, but I'll take a lil' bit more than incremental improvement. We're stuck with Gudz until after the 2021 season. Remember, at this moment, we don't have a high profiled RHD prospect in our system. None. Even if we draft a RHD this coming draft, he won't be ready until a year later at the earliest, if we're lucky. So Gudz has a high probability of being retained after his contract ends (unless we pull off trades with our youth forwards + picks).

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
When Mason is back and hopefully they add a top 4 RHD which is really needed. Think Guds will be very solid on the bottom pairing. Then let the kids or 7’s work for that last spot.

I agree with you on Manson and Guds, but I would temper expectations on another top 4 D. Making the playoffs is a bonus, but not necessary this season for it to be successful. It is a year of growth and trading away assets is not good management right now. If the Ducks get someone long-term, the have to worry about losing someone during the Seattle expansion. Maybe they pick up someone on the cheap, but I don't see any real game-changers being added.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with you on Manson and Guds, but I would temper expectations on another top 4 D. Making the playoffs is a bonus, but not necessary this season for it to be successful. It is a year of growth and trading away assets is not good management right now. If the Ducks get someone long-term, the have to worry about losing someone during the Seattle expansion. Maybe they pick up someone on the cheap, but I don't see any real game-changers being added.

Yeah good points, but if it’s a roster player exchange then maybe make the move if it benefits them for now and the future, won’t have to necessarily move pics or any prospects. When Mason is back we can get a better idea where they stand on D.

Reactions: Hey234

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Hi Ducks fans,
may I please ask for another update on my boy Gudbranson, especially the Minnesota game - stats and highlights watching just show so much?
Thanks in advance!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hi Ducks fans,
may I please ask for another update on my boy Gudbranson, especially the Minnesota game - stats and highlights watching just show so much?
Thanks in advance!
I really like him as a Duck.

He rarely makes mistakes, he is solid in getting the puck out of the zone with a pass, or even skates it out sometimes. Obviously he keeps opposition accountable and makes their life difficult with his physicality. He is also a good leader. He makes simple but effective plays in the offensive zone, and can shoot a big clapper here and there.
He is not very creative offensively but we never expected that, and he is overpaid a bit.
Him being +8 is a solid representation of how he has been for us, I`d say. He fits well with Fowler, he is certainly a net positive for us imo.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Ducks fans,
Thanks in advance!
He's not great with the puck on his stick in the D zone, as he chooses to just make the safe play most of the time. But other than that, he's exactly what you want out of a defensive minded 4-5 dman. He plays physical, takes good angles, and knows his limitations.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hi Ducks fans,
Thanks in advance!

great 4-5 - only complaint is his limited puck skills. He and Fowler compliment each other really well.

Reactions: austropanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad