Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Quinn Hughes injured while tripping over his own feet. Gudbranson - still playing, baby.
Looked like a high ankle sprain, did they talk about it at all?

Gudbranson made a few bad plays tonight. I like him in the mid-pairing, not so sure about him on the top pairing against a fast team.

They had him on the radio tonight though, he makes it clear he knows exactly what his skill set is. He was very personable at FanFest as well.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Gudbranson made a few bad plays tonight. I like him in the mid-pairing, not so sure about him on the top pairing against a fast team.

They had him on the radio tonight though, he makes it clear he knows exactly what his skill set is. He was very personable at FanFest as well.
I saw an interview with him in preseason while I was watching Pens game. A very nice character. Obviously overpaid but seems like a really good guy to have for your team.
Maybe we can eventually pair him with Fowler? I wonder how that will look. Perhaps he will be too slow for that but buthaps they could be a very complimentary combo

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

He was a tyre fire in his own end with the puck on his stick, I thought he really got exposed. He's very good without the puck though but not enough to make up for the constant giveaways and poor passes.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He was a tyre fire in his own end with the puck on his stick, I thought he really got exposed. He's very good without the puck though but not enough to make up for the constant giveaways and poor passes.

Other than Lindholm, the entire defense struggled. It was partly because the forwards weren't moving - way to much side to side passing between defenseman. Holzer - who I usually defend - was particularly awful. I think Gud/Fowler could eventually be a good pairing.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Not other than to say "what the heck was that, that was weird" essentially.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I thought he was fine last night. He had two like two passes to nowhere and one hideously weird pinch at his own blue line. Bottom-pairing guys make mistakes. Especially bottom-pairing guys being asked to play top-pairing shifts.

He's a poor man's Manson, who himself is more of a second-pairing guy.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The hate he gets on HF makes me want him to do well so badly.... of course will also help this team lol

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Not even Gud could make the Holzer hate stop lol. He has not been put in a position to succeed, not by choice, but I would say is semi-succeeding.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ed Willes: Today’s game is too fast for Erik Gudbranson, but just right for Quinn Hughes

Fluff piece on how good Quinn Hughes has been for us, and how the game has left Erik behind. Pretty fair I think. And if you want a second opinion
go ask some Pen's fans how they feel he did during the playoffs last year.

We said the same thing as you did .... but I digress.

He was our most consistent D in the playoffs last year and one of the few players on the Pens to actually get on the score sheet.

Sorry the Canucks sucked for the last five years. Maybe you should just be happy that sucking paid off and quit bitching about Gudbranson. God.

Hutton ain’t some stud either so maybe the problem was the pairing I dunno.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
VS Chicago
Led all Dmen in ice time again, had more hits than the other 5 dmen combined and scored a goal
May be far fetched, but is there still a chance he lives up to his draft position or has that ship sailed ?

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
May be far fetched, but is there still a chance he lives up to his draft position or has that ship sailed ?
It sailed a long time ago. The league is too fast for him and his offensive skills are just not up to par. I still don't like the trade because of his contract, but he hasn't been horrible on the defensive side of the puck and that's fine.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Everyone tries to act like a GM, bringing up what seems like an extra million or so that he’s over paid , we aren’t up against the cap. We needed a player like this( who I’m sure will benefit from being back in the western conference) and they say he’s a true leader in the room. So far he’s been a really solid 4-6 with great intangibles. When Manson comes back he will slot perfectly. We didn’t give up anything for him . Everyone needs to stop nitpicking

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Everyone tries to act like a GM, bringing up what seems like an extra million or so that he’s over paid , we aren’t up against the cap. We needed a player like this( who I’m sure will benefit from being back in the western conference) and they say he’s a true leader in the room. So far he’s been a really solid 4-6 with great intangibles. When Manson comes back he will slot perfectly. We didn’t give up anything for him . Everyone needs to stop nitpicking
Totally agree with all of this

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He relies too heavily on rimming the puck out of the defensive zone to relieve pressure. There was one sequence against Chicago last night in the second period where he tried to rim it out three times and each time the puck was kept in. Not a good look.

Reactions: duxfan1101

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He relies too heavily on rimming the puck out of the defensive zone to relieve pressure. There was one sequence against Chicago last night in the second period where he tried to rim it out three times and each time the puck was kept in. Not a good look.
It’s better than how some of our dmen try and flip it out towards the center of the ice( which sometimes ends up being a disaster) he may have been told to keep it as simple as possible until he learns the new system

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I noticed this, too. It seems like he's almost scared to have the puck on his stick in the defensive zone.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
It’s better than how some of our dmen try and flip it out towards the center of the ice( which sometimes ends up being a disaster) he may have been told to keep it as simple as possible until he learns the new system
It's as if certain posters are looking for any reason to continue to Canuck fan troll it's as if they are hoping for him to fail

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He skates a lot better than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad