Injury Report: Erik Gudbranson to undergo shoulder surgery.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Wow. Did this thread ever get dumber since last I checked.

Where did it get lost that Gudbranson is NOT a good defenseman? He's really not physical, he doesn't score goals, he bleeds shots against, he's injury-prone and this all has a six year sample size behind it. OF COURSE signing him to a three-year contract extension is a terrible idea. You know he's damaged goods, you know he's not a good player even when fully healthy...what the hell, man. This is exactly the kind of deal that bad teams make that keep them bad and deny them options by clogging up cap space and throwing a salary structure to hell. What were Benning's options? Oh gee whizz, how about cutting his losses and not signing more dead weight for three bloody years?

The real mistake was not shutting him down for surgery when the injury happened, and it's really pissing me off how often that's happening. That's something that's really going to make players think twice before signing here.

It's unreal.

This f***ing Donkey goes to Mexico during the player-break and aggravates his back injury. Misses 2 weeks in January and the team decides that instead of just shutting him down for the season that they

a) need to rush him back into the lineup.
b) need to sign him to a 3-year extension post-haste.

What f***ing part of this makes any sense?

He returned to the lineup on February 1st. Our season was already over. Were they still thinking playoffs at this point? You shut him down then, and nobody can blame you for not trading him at the deadline. You let him have surgery and re-evaluate after the season. Maybe re-sign him, maybe not. You have until JULY before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and even then, who the f*** cares? He's a dime a dozen bottom-pairing defender who has a chronic back problem and can't stay in the lineup.

It's like ... this is the easiest decision in the world. I can't even get my brain around how they managed to f*** such an easy thing up.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
It's unreal.

This ****ing Donkey goes to Mexico during the player-break and aggravates his back injury. Misses 2 weeks in January and the team decides that instead of just shutting him down for the season that they

a) need to rush him back into the lineup.
b) need to sign him to a 3-year extension post-haste.

What ****ing part of this makes any sense?

He returned to the lineup on February 1st. Our season was already over. Were they still thinking playoffs at this point? You shut him down then, and nobody can blame you for not trading him at the deadline. You let him have surgery and re-evaluate after the season. Maybe re-sign him, maybe not. You have until JULY before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and even then, who the **** cares? He's a dime a dozen bottom-pairing defender who has a chronic back problem and can't stay in the lineup.

It's like ... this is the easiest decision in the world. I can't even get my brain around how they managed to **** such an easy thing up.
It's all about the "optics". It's that simple.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
What we need is management like Scotty Bowman or Bill Billicheck....cold, heartless evaluation of talent and Championship after Championship.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Not when you shut him down a few weeks later for surgery?
Yeah but at least it looked "good" for a few weeks? They put him with Edler so he'd go out on a high note. As opposed to after getting injured on holiday in Mexico.

I think he's my least favorite player on the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad