HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
From his performance on ice when teammates have been needing a stand up fella to help them out, I would say he does not have said
balls.

thatsthejoke.jpg

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
He was born 15 years too late. In the dead puck era, he would've been a valuable #4, holding up the F, grinding in the corner, facewashing the other team in front of his net and chipping the puck out off the glass the first chance he gets. His lack of speed and skill would not be noticeable back then, except maybe against the Avs and Wings.

May 31, 2006
With a -2 tonight, Gudbranson is now -97 in his career. When will he hit the impressive negative three-digit milestone? Monday vs Anaheim, or Wednesday at Colorado?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Congrats to Erik Gudbranson, whose -27 rating now leads the masters.

Remember when some posters tried to claim he was playing well because he was +4 through 3 games or whatever the hell it was? Lmfao.

Nobody within ten feet of him are even close to his abysmal point production either.

Honest question, does Jim "eye for talent" Benning still think this is a good hockey player?

Reactions: Peen and Pavel96

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He was born 15 years too late. In the dead puck era, he would've been a valuable #4, holding up the F, grinding in the corner, facewashing the other team in front of his net and chipping the puck out off the glass the first chance he gets. His lack of speed and skill would not be noticeable back then, except maybe against the Avs and Wings.

He loses most of his board battles. Like 4 out of 5. You are being dazzled by his reputation as some physical force that he just isnt.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Most of pettersson minus comes when he’s on the ice with gudbranson. The reason why gudbranson is put into a shift with pettersson is that he is the best bet of compensating for gudbranson terrible play.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Most of pettersson minus comes when he’s on the ice with gudbranson. The reason why gudbranson is put into a shift with pettersson is that he is the best bet of compensating for gudbranson terrible play.
It drives me f***ing crazy how many times I see Pettersson passing back to the point...and there's Gudbranson there. Getting really really sick of Green trying valiantly to keep the Gudbranson pairing's +/- above freezing by constantly throwing them out there with Pettersson's line.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I've noticed this too.

They are trying to make the Gudbranson resigning look better, I guess.

Reactions: lawrence

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
+/- is a meaningless stat, or something, ha ha haaaaa.

The Vancouver Sun has made the "Benning talent whisperer work speaks for itself" article unavailable. I wonder why.

E: Found a working version:

New Canucks GM Jim Benning's talent whisperer's work speaks volumes
This is great thanks :thumbu:

"We’ll see on Friday, but Jim Benning has never been big on words. He hasn’t much needed them."

“I would say he was careful with his words,” Benning’s younger brother, Brian, said Wednesday from home in Edmonton. “I was a little more talkative. But it’s time to step out and lead, right? He’ll have no problems doing that."

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1Erik Gudbranson, DVAN57268-27830.14722.810000
2Maxime Lajoie, DOTT567815-25200.27798.904400
3Michael Matheson, DFLA5651520-23320.36975.220600
Drew Doughty, DLA6152833-23300.541194.2051301
5Brendan Perlini, LWCHI/ARI515510-22260.20796.302200
Rasmus Ristolainen, DBUF6153237-22300.611503.3211200
7Cody Ceci, DOTT5751520-21120.35965.210000
Ryan Getzlaf, CANA54112839-21400.721169.521800
Mike Hoffman, LWFLA60262551-21200.8519013.75111500
10Dennis Cholowski, DDET527916-20160.31719.914500
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It really is a good feeling to have a Canuck leading the league in at least one statistical category

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm sure he believes it to some extent, but he's clearly exaggerating for attention.

I don't think he's exaggerating. I think he's being refreshingly honest about something that frequently produces dishonesty.

Supporters of "toughness" will argue endlessly, without supporting evidence, that it contributes to winning, when what's really going on is that having players who will beat up other players is simply important to them for its own sake.

Years ago I read a fascinating article about junior hockey in Flin Flon. The fans there would boo the team in the third period, no matter the score, if there hadn't been enough fights. That's an extreme version of a mentality that's quite pervasive. Some fans feel that the team expresses their own identity vicariously, and they want that identify to be ... tough.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think he's exaggerating. I think he's being refreshingly honest about something that frequently produces dishonesty.

Supporters of "toughness" will argue endlessly, without supporting evidence, that it contributes to winning, when what's really going on is that having players who will beat up other players is simply important to them for its own sake.

Years ago I read a fascinating article about junior hockey in Flin Flon. The fans there would boo the team in the third period, no matter the score, if there hadn't been enough fights. That's an extreme version of a mentality that's quite pervasive. Some fans feel that the team expresses their own identity vicariously, and they want that identify to be ... tough.

There are a surprising number of hockey fans who actually barely care about the hockey part of the sport at all.

Reactions: Peen and MS

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

Sure if he was talking about Odjick or Dale Hunter. We are talking about Eric Gudbranson. I was a fan in the 80s with all the fights, if anyone mentions Gudbranson in the same way as some sort of "TOUGH GUY" is absolutely out of their mind. He is softer in the corners than Biega. He constantly loses his man in front and does not exact any kind of rough play in front of the net. He is a fake tough guy not a real one.

He can't play hockey and he isn't bringing any toughness to a team that is in dire need of toughness. He has failed every aspect of his role here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad