HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ben Kuzma: Hutton, Gudbranson disconnection needs immediate attention

Was first season they played together, they were struggling and got questioned about it by the media and Gudbranson said the following -

“If I’m chasing out of position to make a play, there has been a breakdown somewhere at some point,” said Gudbranson. “My intention is to get in front of shots and take away passing lanes. We started off well as a pair, but we’ve been kind of separate and a little disconnected and just playing too far apart.

“We’re going to watch video and see what’s going on and this is a process with a young guy. He (Hutton) has less than 100 games and it takes 300 to learn to defend well."

“He might be going through something and he’s feeling it inside, but you’re excited to work with him and I’ve got to find that connection better than I have. It takes time for a skilled guy and sometimes less is more, but he’s also good when he’s playing on that edge.

“He’s going to be a great player in this league and we’re going to get through this.”

Gudbranson just happened to have over 300 games played lol.

Gudbranson had like 301 games played the time.

I wonder how he feels now that Hutton is playing 30 minutes and killing it while he remains a liability on the bottom pairing.

“If I’m out of position there has been a breakdown.” Yes, in your brain.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
4Qhn45T.png

Jesus Christ how bad is Brandon Manning?

Gudbranson takes over top spot with Manning being waived.

0.6 GAA clear of 2nd place. Will probably end the season at #1.

May 31, 2006
For comparison, here is Luca Sbisa's infamous 2014-2015 season (which Jimbo promptly rewarded with an $11 million contract):

ChnQ3Z2.png

Gudbranson is nearly a full goal worse. In any sane world this guy would not be in the lineup next season, regardless of contract. But this regime's stupidity just keeps surprising me.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Gudbranson had like 301 games played the time.

I wonder how he feels now that Hutton is playing 30 minutes and killing it while he remains a liability on the bottom pairing.

“If I’m out of position there has been a breakdown.” Yes, in your brain.

I think it is simpler... yes the breakdown is he is chasing and out of position.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Ben Kuzma: Hutton, Gudbranson disconnection needs immediate attention

Was first season they played together, they were struggling and got questioned about it by the media and Gudbranson said the following -

“If I’m chasing out of position to make a play, there has been a breakdown somewhere at some point,” said Gudbranson. “My intention is to get in front of shots and take away passing lanes. We started off well as a pair, but we’ve been kind of separate and a little disconnected and just playing too far apart.

“We’re going to watch video and see what’s going on and this is a process with a young guy. He (Hutton) has less than 100 games and it takes 300 to learn to defend well."

“He might be going through something and he’s feeling it inside, but you’re excited to work with him and I’ve got to find that connection better than I have. It takes time for a skilled guy and sometimes less is more, but he’s also good when he’s playing on that edge.

“He’s going to be a great player in this league and we’re going to get through this.”

Gudbranson just happened to have over 300 games played lol.
That doesn't seem THAT bad, I'm not sure there are any bad intentions there, seems like he just answer honestly. Although the lack of self-awareness is kind of hilarious though.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That doesn't seem THAT bad, I'm not sure there are any bad intentions there, seems like he just answer honestly. Although the lack of self-awareness is kind of hilarious though.

Kindof agree. It looks real bad on him but I don't think he was trying to "throw Hutton under the bus," he just completely overrates his own abilities. He's had years of coaches tell him he's some great player because he's tall and handsome, and he seems to buy into his own mystique. Moreover, he was probably told that he was to mentor this Hutton kid and so in his brain he's the wise sensei giving his pupil some tough love.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He’s completely putting the blame on Hutton for the pairing struggling.

Says that if he’s out of position it’s because the other guy made a mistake first, implying that he basically doesn’t make defensive mistakes himself.

Then basically talks about Hutton like he’s a struggling little kid because Hutton hasn’t learned how to be a great defender by playing 300 games like he has.

It’s an extremely arrogant interview and when a guy comes out with that stuff instead of just the simple ‘we’re both not playing our best and need to work on getting better as a pairing’ it does not reflect well.

And of course, it was completely delusional because as we’ve seen, #44 is the problem and has always been the problem.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Says that if he’s out of position it’s because the other guy made a mistake first, implying that he basically doesn’t make defensive mistakes himself.

Then basically talks about Hutton like he’s a struggling little kid because Hutton hasn’t learned how to be a great defender by playing 300 games like he has.

It’s an extremely arrogant interview and when a guy comes out with that stuff instead of just the simple ‘we’re both not playing our best and need to work on getting better as a pairing’ it does not reflect well.

And of course, it was completely delusional because as we’ve seen, #44 is the problem and has always been the problem.
So he's not a coward but a dick.;)

Reactions: Pavel96

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

To be fair, I don't remember the game that is being referenced, I might not have watched it, or just completely forgotten about it, so maybe you are right. But Hutton isn't some perfect Dman, not back in his early days, not even now. He does gets out of position from time to time, so maybe Gudbranson was right in his assessment?
Chances are that they were both bad (thats how I seem to remember that pairing), thats why I said the lack of self awareness is funny on his part, because Gudbranson doesn't realize how bad he is himself. But that doesn't mean he is wrong about Hutton either.
Anyways I've seen much worse said about teammates, this one is pretty tame in comparison.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
To be fair, I don't remember the game that is being referenced, I might not have watched it, or just completely forgotten about it, so maybe you are right. But Hutton isn't some perfect Dman, not back in his early days, not even now. He does gets out of position from time to time, so maybe Gudbranson was right in his assessment?
Chances are that they were both bad (thats how I seem to remember that pairing), thats why I said the lack of self awareness is funny on his part, because Gudbranson doesn't realize how bad he is himself. But that doesn't mean he is wrong about Hutton either.
Anyways I've seen much worse said about teammates, this one is pretty tame in comparison.

It wasnt in reference to a specific game, it was a response to the pairing being complete dreck for weeks. And it actually is irrelevant.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It wasnt in reference to a specific game, it was a response to the pairing being complete dreck for weeks. And it actually is irrelevant.

Ehhh it’s not relevant to anything that happens on the ice but as a fan who wants to enjoy cheering for players I like and respect on my team, it’s extrenely relevant.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ehhh it’s not relevant to anything that happens on the ice but as a fan who wants to enjoy cheering for players I like and respect on my team, it’s extrenely relevant.

That's not what I meant. I meant that it's irrelavant how well Hutton played. Even if Hutton played like complete crap it doesn't change how bad that quote is.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Nope :laugh:

In fact I owned you so bad in the argument that your only response is a week ooops I mean weak chime about my reading comprehension :laugh:

Lack of any resemblance of logic; Check

Lack of any resemblance of reading comprehension; Check

Declare your self "the winner" of "the argument"; Check

You must be a Benningster?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I didn't even realize how close in age Hutton and Gudbranson are. Imagine being talked down to and called a "young guy" who is a work in progress by a guy 15 months older than you.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I didn't even realize how close in age Hutton and Gudbranson are. Imagine being talked down to and called a "young guy" who is a work in progress by a guy 15 months older than you.
Especially when this year they don't play together as much and Hutton averages 22:07 as compared to Gudbranson's 18:06. Even Stecher averages more ice time than Gudbranson - and he is 27 months younger than him.

But where it gets really crazy is when you consider that Hutton still only has 265 games played! Furthermore, Stecher only has 195 games played! Between the two of them that's 140 games shy of 300 games played! How many games has Erik played - 445 - you guessed it - 145 games over the 300 game mark.

This doesn't make any sense - How could two players with as many games shy of 300 combined, as Erik has over 300 games - yet they both average more time on ice than Erik himself. How incompetent is Green to let this happen under his watch? As well, doesn't Green know Erik's pedigree?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Especially when this year they don't play together as much and Hutton averages 22:07 as compared to Gudbranson's 18:06. Even Stecher averages more ice time than Gudbranson - and he is 27 months younger than him.

But where it gets really crazy is when you consider that Hutton still only has 265 games played! Furthermore, Stecher only has 195 games played! Between the two of them that's 140 games shy of 300 games played! How many games has Erik played - 445 - you guessed it - 145 games over the 300 game mark.

This doesn't make any sense - How could two players with as many games shy of 300 combined, as Erik has over 300 games - yet they both average more time on ice than Erik himself. How incompetent is Green to let this happen under his watch? As well, doesn't Green know Erik's pedigree?
Not very good math.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just to keep the numbers flowing here :

At ES with Gudbranson on the ice this year, we’ve been outscored 33-58, a -25 differential.

Without Gudbranson on the ice, we’ve outscored the opposition 101-84, a +17 differential.

That is absolutely staggering. And it isn’t like he’s playing Chris Tanev where maybe this is an effect of tough matchups. This is from a mix of softish 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes.

It’s pretty much unequivocal that this player has single-handedly cost us a playoff position this year. If we had some sort of average #4-5 defender in his role instead (like, I dunno, Dan Hamhuis?) we’d be sitting comfortably in the playoffs right now.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Just to keep the numbers flowing here :

At ES with Gudbranson on the ice this year, we’ve been outscored 33-58, a -25 differential.

Without Gudbranson on the ice, we’ve outscored the opposition 101-84, a +17 differential.

That is absolutely staggering. And it isn’t like he’s playing Chris Tanev where maybe this is an effect of tough matchups. This is from a mix of softish 2nd and 3rd pairing minutes.

It’s pretty much unequivocal that this player has single-handedly cost us a playoff position this year. If we had some sort of average #4-5 defender in his role instead (like, I dunno, Dan Hamhuis?) we’d be sitting comfortably in the playoffs right now.

Ok fine you win, I change my vote to Gudbranson for worst NHL player. But I still loathe Pouliot.

Reactions: xtra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad