HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He’s a #6 guy. Those guys by definition ain’t going to that good. Pair him up with another #6 (or worse like Poo) and the results are predictable. Old school coaches see more value in these easily replaceable players. Can’t help but think a guy like Babcock would have some interest in him (like he did with Polak).
But Polak gets signed on one year deals at 1.1-1.3 million. Not three year deals averaging what an actual top 4 dman could make (like that guy Toronto actually gave up a lot of assets for).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
But Polak gets signed on one year deals at 1.1-1.3 million. Not three year deals averaging what an actual top 4 dman could make (like that guy Toronto actually gave up a lot of assets for).
I have never argued that his contract was anywhere remotely fair value (just one of the numerous weaknesses of Benning's managerial ability).

He was good at convincing idiots that he is good at hockey.
Another reason to fire Benning & hope he gets hired as a GM for another team. He'll want to re-acquire him.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I have never argued that his contract was anywhere remotely fair value (just one of the numerous weaknesses of Benning's managerial ability).

Another reason to fire Benning & hope he gets hired as a GM for another team. He'll want to re-acquire him.
But you stated you thought Babcock may have interest in Erik, like he did with Polak. So I mentioned that Polak was on a one year deal, at 1.1 million, while Erik has another two years at 4 mil per. If you are talking about Babcock's interest in him as a possible trade candidate for his team, salary has to be taken into account. Taking the horrendous contract into account - how could Babcock have remotely the same interest in him, as he did with Polak?

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
But you stated you thought Babcock may have interest in Erik, like he did with Polak. So I mentioned that Polak was on a one year deal, at 1.1 million, while Erik has another two years at 4 mil per. If you are talking about Babcock's interest in him as a possible trade candidate for his team, salary has to be taken into account. Taking the horrendous contract into account - how could Babcock have remotely the same interest in him, as he did with Polak?
Salary retention.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Canucks retain salary to get a low draft pick -( what's a bad #6, at best, even worth?). I'd love to see that after what they gave up for him.
Yeah there’s no sugar coating an awful trade.

We already used up the retention spot on MDZ unless we have another
Each team is allowed three salary retentions. Luongo is the 2nd one. Just shove useless Schaller on the Comets or ECHL affiliate.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He was good at convincing idiots that he is good at hockey.
I think one thing that gets overlook often is how much faster the game has gotten just in the last couple seasons. You see this with a lot of players. People go "huh he sucks nowadays, not sure what happened". Sure, the player was never that good in the first place, but he has become completely unplayable recently. Similarly how certain players have come out of seemingly nowhere and are now total studs (looking at defensemen, Schmidt is a great example of this). It's because the game is a lot faster than it used to, and for some players that's a killing blow and for some an advantage.

And of course it's completely expected that Benning was completely oblivious to this and had zero foresight in 2016 when he was chasing Gudbranson. And of course he's still completely clueless that the game has changed, or who is an effective hockey player in the game that is being played on the ice today. Evidenced by another 12M extension to an obvious AHL defenseman - history repeats itself.

When Benning got hired and the Canucks last made the playoffs, literally 3 players in the entire NHL scored 82+ points. Benn won the scoring race with 87 points. Kucherov has 78 points already this season, and there are like 40+ players about to finish with 82 points or more.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He’s a #6 guy. Those guys by definition ain’t going to that good. Pair him up with another #6 (or worse like Poo) and the results are predictable. Old school coaches see more value in these easily replaceable players. Can’t help but think a guy like Babcock would have some interest in him (like he did with Polak).

I'd argue if you can't pair a #6 with another #6ish D-man and get reasonable third pairing results I'd suggest that #6 guy isn't actually a #6. And that's what we see with Gudbranson. He can be paired with anyone and he drags the pairing down to basically being unplayable.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I think one thing that gets overlook often is how much faster the game has gotten just in the last couple seasons. You see this with a lot of players. People go "huh he sucks nowadays, not sure what happened". Sure, the player was never that good in the first place, but he has become completely unplayable recently. Similarly how certain players have come out of seemingly nowhere and are now total studs (looking at defensemen, Schmidt is a great example of this). It's because the game is a lot faster than it used to, and for some players that's a killing blow and for some an advantage.

And of course it's completely expected that Benning was completely oblivious to this and had zero foresight in 2016 when he was chasing Gudbranson. And of course he's still completely clueless that the game has changed, or who is an effective hockey player in the game that is being played on the ice today. Evidenced by another 12M extension to an obvious AHL defenseman - history repeats itself.

When Benning got hired and the Canucks last made the playoffs, literally 3 players in the entire NHL scored 82+ points. Benn won the scoring race with 87 points. Kucherov has 78 points already this season, and there are like 40+ players about to finish with 82 points or more.
I don't think benning is oblivious to the way the game is. I think he needed to address the way other teams were taking liberty's on our top players. That's why he got Roussell and Beagle as well. Gudbranson is struggling mightily in this system right now. I hope he adjusts to the way the game is now. I guess everyone's an idiot, the OHL,central scouting, every GM because they don't have 20/20 hindsight like Melvin and PuckMuchkin. When they signed Dorsett, there was so much belly aching it was unreal. He was what was missing. I admit Gudbranson is struggling right now but you guys really think the games changed so much you don't need any toughness?
They've said the same thing back and forth for the last twenty years, games fast and skilled, now it's size and grit, 5 years later now it's speed and skill again. When a player gets nailed with a dirty hit, they flip out if no one does anything and then when they do, you criticize the way they did it. When Gudbranson uppercutted Martel(TB), they called for a suspension. He wasn't even penalized for that and they called for a suspension on our own player that was choked about the hit on Stecher and they called for a suspension on our own. They blamed Gudbranson for Matheson and Pakayami, then called for a suspension on him for Martel. To that guy that keeps saying 'show use evidence of him standing up for his teammates', use youtube. Gudbranson fought Martin after he jumped Stecher, ask Troy Stecher if Gudbranson has their back.

Last edited:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Except teams have still taken liberties on our top players this season.
You're always going to get that. The thing is, what kind of reaction did the Canucks respond with? NOTHING. Still wonder though if Green put out the word that nobody retaliates for anything. Just sit and take it. Open season on EP. He better bulk up in the offseason.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Funny how Tanev has looked bad ever since he got paired with Gudbranson, Hutton looked like he had been freed from prison when he got off his pair while his goal and shot metrics sky rocketed, and even Pouliot who probably isn’t an NHL player as is looked even worse while playing with Gudbranson.

He might be the worst player in the league.

Reactions: Canadian Club

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Gudbranson did look better paired with Tanev but Tanev was terrible last game unfortunately. Biega over Pouliot for sure.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The weird thing with Gudbranson is, he usually is in good position. I watch him closely and he takes good lines, stays right in position, but then it's like he's a f***ing hologram and every puck goes right through him. It's crazy how rarely he stops the puck from going through him in high danger areas and it's in the back of the net.

This guy cannot be in Vancouver next year. Even if it means waiving him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s because he’s often facing the wrong direction. He might be in good position in terms of where his body is but he isn’t in good position to actually respond to the play.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
whoever went and watched this guy and endorsed a trade has to be canned.

One of the worst passers set of hands and vision i have watched play on the Nucks since Robert Dirk

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Except teams have still taken liberties on our top players this season.
The conundrum is that when Guddy is injured and not in the game, apparently there is no one to stand up for teammates- and if Erik was playing he wouldn't let that happen. But then When Erik is in the game, the Canucks are not supposed to retaliate or do anything to the player who takes a shot at Petterson. They are just supposed to take it and hurt them on the scoreboard. But don't the numbers show that when Guddy plays, he hurts his own team more on the scoreboard?

Reactions: rypper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad