HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It's certainly not USELESS but it's no guarantee of success. None of these teams has come close to a Cup yet and it doesn't look like any of them will do so in the foreseeable future...

They are a hell of a lot closer than any team that has had an asinine age-gap roster building strategy. Also you do realize that those are 2 of the top 7 teams in the league

But sure here’s the penguins:
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, brassard

There’s nothing that’s a guarantee of success ( or in life) but there’s is a higher probability when you have higher picks cause you get better talent to choose from in general

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hold on a second; I thought JB was "the worst GM in the NHL" (according to many here). Such a trade flies in the face of such talk. If Guddy REALLY is worth anywhere near what many here are suggesting that tells me that we have a somewhat valuable player/asset who is being very poorly utilized by our coaching staff. If indeed there are teams inquiring about him (and offering actual usable assets for him) then he can't be "the worst defenceman in the NHL" because such a player would have no value whatsoever. He's either terrible (and therefore worthless and JB is a complete idiot) or he's worth something of value (in which case TG is unable to maximize his usefullness and is therefore a lousy coach). You can't have it both ways.

You know more than 1 person can be bad at things, and 1 of those people can be worse than others, right? For example there are many awful posters here, but some are worse than others...

First of all if he's been poorly utilized by coaching how exactly do you think he should be deployed? For the record, he is being poorly utilized becau9se he's a regular rather than sitting in the press box.

Anyway, your post makes some very silly assumptions.

First of all value isn't defined by reality but by perceptions. Would you have been stocking up on tulips during the bubble because of apparently how useful they are given what their value was? If you bought a leaky condo was it still a good purchase because you and others thought it had the value you paid? It doesn't even make sense in regards to Benning. Your argument implies Gudbranson is a good defenceman simply because Benning thinks he's good, or alternatively that Benning is the only bad GM in the league. Absolutely ridiculous

Second of all, if Benning were a good GM why would he not ship out Gudbranson given the evidence that he has value along with the overwhelming amount of evidence that he's bad?

I'm not having it both ways, you're talking nonsense. Just stop.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
So you are suggesting that JB is NOT the worst GM in the NHL?

Not because of anything JB has done but, because Pierre Dorian exists. What an awful standard for judging performance anyway. I don't think Trump is a good leader but, he's not the worst.

Any related comments to my post or just more straw men?

Reactions: xtra

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Hold on a second; I thought JB was "the worst GM in the NHL" (according to many here). Such a trade flies in the face of such talk. If Guddy REALLY is worth anywhere near what many here are suggesting that tells me that we have a somewhat valuable player/asset who is being very poorly utilized by our coaching staff. If indeed there are teams inquiring about him (and offering actual usable assets for him) then he can't be "the worst defenceman in the NHL" because such a player would have no value whatsoever. He's either terrible (and therefore worthless and JB is a complete idiot) or he's worth something of value (in which case TG is unable to maximize his usefullness and is therefore a lousy coach). You can't have it both ways.

Why do you deal in such absolutes for that scenario?

GMs aren't infallible and misjudge the values of players all the time. It's entirely possible that Gudbranson is terrible and another GM believes there is value in Gudbranson or at the very least salvageable value. This leads to this GM making a trade for Gudbranson and then finding out once he is on the new team that he is terrible. Reclamation projects happen all the time and they mostly fail. However, I don't see any signs that would indicate that this reclamation project of Gudbranson would prove to be fruitful.

Furthermore, I don't understand how Travis Green absolves Benning of any blame. If Green is a lousy coach, then Benning's job is to delegate properly and replace the crap coach with a good one. His job is to oversee the entire organization and ensure he gets the best guy for the job (office/coaching).

Gudbranson has had plenty of time to prove himself in Vancouver and been under 2 different coaches for the Canucks. He didn't do much better under Willie D, who you seem to defend as a decent coach. Is it his utilization that's the problem if both Willie D and Travis G failed to make him not terrible? Or could it be that Gudbranson is a replacement level defender at this point? You can't have it both ways.

To me, all he's proven is that he is terrible and unworthy of his contract. If there is a market for a guy like Gudbranson, we'd be dumb not to unload him considering he's clearly not working here.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What? Stating he wasn't developing well is not any sort of objective fact. Definitely had some glaring defensive issues but the top rookie AHL defenceman in terms of scoring and had great zone exits.

And had the same exact problems he has had ever since being drafted.
At this point if he becomes a regular NHL Dman we should be pleasantly suprised.

I hope he does well but can we please for f***s sake put the "was he a good draft pick or not" - talk to rest. He was the wrong pick and its been compounded by players passing him by.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My point is that we currently have five top 10 draft picks on our roster and three of them have not lived up to their draft position, indeed two of them have been complete disasters. Tanking just to draft in the top 10 is stupid and that has been proven quite emphatically by the Oilers. Never mind that no pro hockey player worth his salt would buy into a tank...

Ahahaha... Ok. Good talk.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pouliot is trash. Gudbranson is trash. The only time there is a difference is if you are in a city where you are forced to separate your trash into different piles. Unfortunately that pretty much sums up the canucks blueline...

I was 6 rows back from the ice for Poo last pre-season game as a penguin. I saw a guy who was clearly not interested in making the team and clearly shouldn't be an NHL regular. And then Benning acquired him. I was sad.

Reactions: Peen

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
And had the same exact problems he has had ever since being drafted.
At this point if he becomes a regular NHL Dman we should be pleasantly suprised.

I hope he does well but can we please for ****s sake put the "was he a good draft pick or not" - talk to rest. He was the wrong pick and its been compounded by players passing him by.

Literally no one is arguing against this and this had nothing to do with my reply but ok.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I’ve got to imagine there will be a couple teams after him. Ideally we get a 2019 3rd round pick and a 2020 3rd round pick compensation.

I would trade him for a pair of 3rd rounders in back to back years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why though. What does he do well.
He’s a #6 guy. Those guys by definition ain’t going to that good. Pair him up with another #6 (or worse like Poo) and the results are predictable. Old school coaches see more value in these easily replaceable players. Can’t help but think a guy like Babcock would have some interest in him (like he did with Polak).

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's certainly not USELESS but it's no guarantee of success. None of these teams has come close to a Cup yet and it doesn't look like any of them will do so in the foreseeable future...

Toronto and Winnipeg look like they could be contenders...

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Value to each team is not the same tho. I think Gudbranson’s fit and suitability into a teams systems has to be taken into account. Green employs a fast break system which requires good transition passing to work well. Puck handling and passing are not Gudbransons strong suit. Playing in a system he is better suited to will leave him less exposed, therefore have more value to a team. I’m not saying he will all of a sudden he be a great player, just less of tyre fire getting the puck out of the d zone with possession. Unfortunately for him, more teams are playing fast break these days.

Reactions: timbermen

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Value to each team is not the same tho. I think Gudbranson’s fit and suitability into a teams systems has to be taken into account. Green employs a fast break system which requires good transition passing to work well. Puck handling and passing are not Gudbransons strong suit. Playing in a system he is better suited to will leave him less exposed, therefore have more value to a team. I’m not saying he will all of a sudden he be a great player, just less of tyre fire getting the puck out of the d zone with possession. Unfortunately for him, more teams are playing fast break these days.

Well maybe we will see what his value is if we actually do trade him. I think you are right; he would probably look a lot better in another team's system. He has clearly not worked out here, at least not lately. I still think he's a lot more useful than Pouliot...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I wonder what the real difference between Schenn and Gudbranson is other than Schenn spending most of his career in the spotlight and Gud spending it in relative obscurity in Florida.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I wonder what the real difference between Schenn and Gudbranson is other than Schenn spending most of his career in the spotlight and Gud spending it in relative obscurity in Florida.

Possibly very little. Is Schenn as injury prone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->