Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
bieksa did it for a long time, usually with help.
He was pretty respectable in the fighting department...not a heavyweight but I don't recall too many times he ran into a situation like Hamonic (a non-fighter going after a guy that while not a goon, could throw them pretty good).

I do remember where a player (a Black Hawk I *think*) did a cheap MMA type of move to throw Bieksa on the ice (that or punch with their elbows).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He was pretty respectable in the fighting department...not a heavyweight but I don't recall too many times he ran into a situation like Hamonic (a non-fighter going after a guy that while not a goon, could throw them pretty good).

I do remember where a player (a Black Hawk I *think*) did a cheap MMA type of move to throw Bieksa on the ice (that or punch with their elbows).
Ben Eager..?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yep bieksa was a good player too always on the ice in key situations. that is the ideal. gudbranson is a compromise. better than a guy you only send out to pick a fight, but not the optimum peacekeeper.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The real problem is who do you pair him with? He's been frightful with both Del Zotto and Pouliot. And might have actually been worse paired with Hutton. I have a feeling that a Hughes-Gudbranson tandem might work, but we'll have to wait to find out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The real problem is who do you pair him with? He's been frightful with both Del Zotto and Pouliot. And might have actually been worse paired with Hutton. I have a feeling that a Hughes-Gudbranson tandem might work, but we'll have to wait to find out.

I think Pouliot has been his best partner.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i would not be surprised if the question of who to put with gudbranson keeps baumgartner and green up at night.
so far he's pretty much terrible with all young developing dmen and i think hurts everyone he plays with by accentuating all their weaknesses. whether a juolevi or hughes can click remains to be seen.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Can you pair him with Jim Benning in the press box? That would be nice.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Can you pair him with Jim Benning in the press box? That would be nice.
Nope, not after they doubled down and were forced to extend him (rather than trade him for pennies on the dollar). Maybe in two years if Jim's lucky enough to still have a job.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Still laughing at this

SjsOfaa.jpg
What is he doing? Comforting Pouliot? Or is he pulling Pouliot behind the net and taking a moment to just stop and point out some tips that you only acquire after playing in 400 games? Is this a mentorship moment?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Brad Staubitz from the Wild was a guy that threw MMA-style elbows at Rick Rypien.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Hamonic has more fights than Gudbranson does.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I actually felt sorry for Pouliot in the last game. The guy was just getting abused in his own zone, particularly along the wall. And his d-partner was just standing there like the Statue of Liberty. I figured the Gudbranson-Hutton pairing that Willie tried a couple of years ago was one of the worst 'white-knuckle' tandems in recent Canuck history.

But Gudbranson-Pouliot might actually be worse. But what's a coach going to do?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
....how do you think that. I can't think of a worse pairing I've seen suit up for the Canucks, pretty much ever.

Did you think the Hutton and Gudbranson pairing or Del Zotto and Gudbranson pairing were better? I think the Del Zotto and Gudbranson pairing was the worse.

Canucks Army also did an analysis that does not support your eye test: "Pouliot was by far Gudbranson’s best partner this season. The duo finished in the black for managing shot attempts, goals, and had the lowest unblocked shot attempts against rate of any pairing with Gudbranson on it."

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Did you think the Hutton and Gudbranson pairing or Del Zotto and Gudbranson pairing were better? I think the Del Zotto and Gudbranson pairing was the worse.

Canucks Army also did an analysis that does not support your eye test: "Pouliot was by far Gudbranson’s best partner this season. The duo finished in the black for managing shot attempts, goals, and had the lowest unblocked shot attempts against rate of any pairing with Gudbranson on it."

I mean, Carolina scored a goal because they were hugging each other out of the play behind the net. Not much else needs to be said.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

That would be so f***in unfair to Hughes. Having to do basically everything him self just to enable Gudbransons ~2 fights / year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Pouliot & Guds were on the ice with EP quite a bit in the 1st game.
And EP kinda drives the play to the other end of the ice.

Reactions: geebaan

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At least he's still "healthy". As a Vancouver Canucks / Buffalo Sabres fan, the mirror images of Bogosian and Gudbranson make me read simile. The same type of game, with Bogosian skating slightly better when healthy. But, both physical former top 5 picks who never panned out. Both guys, if you had the chance you'd move for cap reasons, but are good in the locker room and seem to get injured all too often.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, Carolina scored a goal because they were hugging each other out of the play behind the net. Not much else needs to be said.
They were behind the net because the forwards didn't go to check them, Boeser missed his check on that play but no one will say anything about that because he's the flow and not Gudbranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad